Nikon D7100 Announcement

Discuss the technical side of photography
Grumpy

Nikon D7100 Announcement

Post by Grumpy »

0/*

Nikon have just announced an upgrade to the D7000, namely the D7100.
Have a look here

O/\

Just be kind - always
BluTuna

Re: Nikon D7100 Announcement

Post by BluTuna »

Yep, I caught this on Nikon Rumours earlier, I've been eagerly awaiting this release for a while now!

The camera looks wonderful and also looks like it will be quite reasonably priced - $1,200 which I guess will be around R13,000.

One spec is all it took - Buffer capacity using 14 bit NEF RAW lossless (Max resolution) = 6 frames. A one second burst - completely useless for any sort of action photography. 0*\

Nikon have completely blown it from my perspective. :-(

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
BluTuna

Re: Nikon D7200 Announcement

Post by BluTuna »

Nikon have just announced the release of the D7200. This is a direct competitor to the recently released Canon 7D Mk. II but where Canon stayed with its old, obsolete sensor which is said to have a poor low-light performance, Nikon are using a brand new 24 Megapixel sensor.

After my disappointment with the D7100 which was released just over 2 years ago, Nikon have addressed its shortcoming by increasing the buffer size to 18 frames using 14-bit Raw or 27 frames using 12-bit Raw images. I would have wished for more, especially as memory (ram) is dirt cheap. Having said that, the new buffer size is adequate.

Features.
24 Megapixel DX sensor
51 focus points
Expeed 4 processor
100-25600 ISO range
6 fps
Wi-Fi

Nikon - It's about time!!

Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on one! O/\ O/\ O/\

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

It has several other nice features as well, like the flat mode, built-in timelapse movie feature and the ability to shoot more than 100 frames continuously.

Just wondering what the high-ISO noise is like.

Polentswa

Post by Polentswa »

Peter Connan wrote:It has several other nice features as well, like the flat mode, built-in timelapse movie feature and the ability to shoot more than 100 frames continuously.

Just wondering what the high-ISO noise is like.
Pete the Noise on a 24 M Pixel DX camera will be the same as a 36 M Pixel FX camera = Lousy ...after my 12 m pixel FX D3S I am very disappointed with the noise handling of the D800 my current camera ...Not an early morning outdoor camera at all :evil:

Mabuasehube and Caprivi are calling
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Thanks Polentswa.

Living in hope I guess... :-0

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

I'll do some test shots when I get mine. I'm hoping that I'll be able to use ISO 800 or 1600 with my big lens which will allow me to get a bit more depth of field without too much noise. If I ever use the ISO 25,600 setting I won't expect anything exceptional.

Camera sensor's low-light performance is improving all the time.

Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

BT, what are you upgrading from?

I regularly use ISO3200 on my D7000, and it's usually OK so long as I don't need to crop or adjust exposure...

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

I have a D5100 which is OK up to ISO 800 although I prefer to stick to ISO 400 or below.

I also have a D5000 which I sometimes use with my Tamron 90mm macro lens if I already have the big lens on the D5100. I also use the D5000 with the kit lenses (18-55 and 55-200) for closer subjects or scenic shots.

Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

I would not have thought the D5100 is that far behind the D7000, but the D7200 will be a game-changer for you in so many other ways.

Having said that, it's always best to keep the ISO as low as possible, but nature is seldom obliging about making things happen in good light and I would far rather have a bit of noise than motion blur...

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”