What gear do you have...

Discuss the technical side of photography
ceruleanwildfire

What gear do you have...

Post by ceruleanwildfire »

Sun Jan 08, 2012

Taking the queue from another popular forum out there on the web :twisted: I'd like to introduce the "What gear do you have..." topic.

Now before you think this is a show off forum, it's not (I swear it's not :twisted: ). My intention of this forum is to understand what gear others are using for multiple reasons.

Firstly, so others can understand that even small compacts with the right human eye behind it are capable of producing spectacular shots. Secondly, so that others who might have the same gear, or are thinking of getting the same gear, can ask questions to those other members who already have that gear. Thirdly, to understand what small accessories others are using.

For me photography is a serious hobby so don't feel intimidated if you have smaller cameras. Most of my shots I take every day are on my compact because, as nice as a DSLR is, the DSLR is to heavy and bulky to carry around all the time.

Cameras:
Nikon S3100 (My compact)
Nikon D300s
Nikon D70 (My original, now my wife's or my backup)

Lenses:
Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5
Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8
Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR

Other:
Nikon SB-900 Speeflight (Flash)
Nikon MBD-10 Vertical Grip
Hahnel Shutter Release Cable
Manfrotto Tripod and 3 Way Head
Lens Cloth
Tac Cloth
Sensor Swabs
Sensor Cleaning Fluid
Lowepro CompuRover AW
Cut-up Pool Noodle

Wild Dreamer

Re: What gear do you have...

Post by Wild Dreamer »

Sun Jan 08, 2012

Hi CW!
I don't know if you've picked up on other posts of mine how terrible I am with photography, but that my interest started awakening in this area lately because of the need to start sharing the awesome beauty of nature in the area where I live now.
This morning I went to look at cameras and the Nikon S3100 attracted my attention.
Three friends were standing by to tell me all the odds and ends, the pixels thing and all, so I decided (on their advice) to start simple, small, and take it from there.
So before spending too much on something I hope not but might fail miserably in, I bought a very affordable NIKON COOLPIX L23 (10.1 Megapixels).
This is the first time in my life I am now the actual owner of a camera.
Was this a good choice for a beginner?
;-)

Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Sun Jan 08, 2012

Hi WD,

If, as you say, you are a beginner into photography, the choice is a good one as this model has features that make things a bit easier for those just starting out. The 17 different scene modes will be very handy once you get used to using them for different situations and the camera even warns you when someone has their eyes closed and takes the photos as soon as they smile. :D

Which colour choice did you go for?

Good luck with the camera and look forward to seeing some of your pics. ;-)

Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Hey WD, glad you got a camera. Now to see where you live and what guests (not human ones) you get! ;-)

Congrats and please post at least one pic today. :wink:

Wild Dreamer

Post by Wild Dreamer »

Dewi wrote:Hi WD,

If, as you say, you are a beginner into photography, the choice is a good one as this model has features that make things a bit easier for those just starting out. The 17 different scene modes will be very handy once you get used to using them for different situations and the camera even warns you when someone has their eyes closed and takes the photos as soon as they smile. :D
17??? Oh, Gawd! :shock:
Dewi, it's a pink one! :evil: That was the only one of that kind they had at CNA (the closest store for a fairly good camera).

Wild Dreamer

Post by Wild Dreamer »

Sprocky wrote:Hey WD, glad you got a camera. Now to see where you live and what guests (not human ones) you get! \O

Congrats and please post at least one pic today. ;-)
Okay, Sprocky, first of all: When we came back from Komatipoort it was very hot and already after 13h00. So I haven't even unpacked the camera yet.
Then, seeing I'm getting into it like a grade 1-ner, I'm slightly frightened to open it because I want to do it all on my own. In that way I won't have to ask for help whenever I may get stuck in small matters, because I'll learn the whole thing myself from ground zero. This way knowledge will stick!
I think in about an hour when I've finished circling around the box, I'll open it. :oops:

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Sun Jan 08, 2012
Sprocky wrote:My kit, not much. :oops:

Pentax K20D

Lens Sigma 170-500 and Sigma 28-300.

One day when I'm big, I will also have a good lens or two. Can't wait for that decade, then I should also be able to take good looking pic's. I just hope my eye sight lasts long enough. :lol:
Wow Sprocky, I do not know your features of your (not much) camera... but I know the quality of your pics is excellent... if only.....

My question : is it really the camera, or does software on a persons PC add to perfection. Maybe that should be added to the thread if it is. :idea:

Wild Dreamer

Post by Wild Dreamer »

Thanks! ;-)
Already took some pics and more stunned at how easily I picked up on how to assemble and figuring some features - already having fun!
:lol: :lol:

ceruleanwildfire

Post by ceruleanwildfire »

Wild Dreamer wrote:Thanks! ;-)
Already took some pics and more stunned at how easily I picked up on how to assemble and figuring some features - already having fun!
:lol: :lol:
I think you answered your own question. It's a pretty good compact to start out with and more than capable of giving some great results. Hope you have many great hours having fun and am looking forward to seeing some of your pics. ;-)

PS: Welcome to the Nikon club. :twisted:

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Mon Jan 09, 2012

The kit I currently have (Been a Nikon user since 1972)

Nikon D3S camera with Kirk L Plate
Nikon SB 900 Flashgun
Nikkor TC14EII 1.4x Teleconvertor
Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 AFS Standard Zoom lens
Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VRII Tele Zoom Lens
Nikkor 500 f4 VRII Super Tele Lens

120 GB Sandisk cards (Extreme 16 gb)
Lowepro camera bags
Gitzo Series 3 6x carbon fibre tripod
Kirk BH1 Ballhead
Wimberley II Gimbal Head
Swarovski EL 10x42 HD Swarovision Binoculars

I will probably be selling the 24-70 lens and replacing it with 2x Zeiss Manual focus Prime lenses ..21mm f2.8 and 35 mm Distagon f2. There is also a huge gap in my wildlife focal lengths between 70-200 & 500 which the 1.4 convertor helps a bit to close so when I win the Lotto finally I will get a 300f2.8 and I am done...I dont like the new D4 camera ..as there is very little improvement on the photography side but huge improvements on the video side which I dont do . So roll on 2016 and the D5 :))

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”