Confused

Discuss the technical side of photography
Bushcraft

Confused

Post by Bushcraft »

Tue Feb 21, 2012

Hey guys, I’m new at these things, but I have a Panasonic FZ38 with a 2.2x Raynox convertor and a Canon 550D with a 170mm to 500mm Sigma (old type) and I just purchased the Cow the Canon SX40.

The thing that I find strange is that if I set them all up in good light, the Panasonic with the convertor and then the Canon SX40 both drill the Canon 550D with the Sigma lens. I sent the lens for assessment and “no fault found”, so WT...

Peter Betts

Re: Confused

Post by Peter Betts »

Bushcraft wrote:Hey guys, I’m new at these things, but I have a Panasonic FZ38 with a 2.2x Raynox convertor and a Canon 550D with a 170mm to 500mm Sigma (old type) and I just purchased the Cow the Canon SX40.

The thing that I find strange is that if I set them all up in good light, the Panasonic with the convertor and then the Canon SX40 both drill the Canon 550D with the Sigma lens. I sent the lens for assessment and “no fault found”, so WT...
BC I had 2 versions of the Sigma 170-500 and they were not good at all...infact probably one of the worst lenses from Sigma..The 50-500 and I think there is a 150-500?? are much better...sorry pal...I would sell it and run like hell.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Hey Peter,

Most on all the camera forums tend to agree with you, but the “experts” at the local “photography shop” say that it has the same optics as the 150mm to 500mm, so should take similar pics. The one thing that I have found is that it’s definitely not compatible with the 550D auto settings and one has to shoot in manual.

Personally, I find that the old Panasonic FZ38 with the Raynox addition drills them all in good light at about 600mm equivalent. The 550D with the canon 55 to 250mm lens is brilliant though.

Over the entire range and at R4500 the Canon SX40 for 18mm to 800mm equivalent kills many.

I see that “camera labs” rate it as the best “superzoom” on the market. The only issue that I have is that it tends to “hunt” with the focus at max zoom, but the Panasonic with the Raynox attachment focuses in a second at the equivalent.

Penga Ndlovu

Post by Penga Ndlovu »

Hi Bushy guy.

I have the old type 170 - 500 mm and Sprocky has the new type 170 - 500 mm.

Yep.
It is true. You get what you pay for, but with a little knowledge and playing around with the setting one can still get great shots with these lenses. ;-)

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”