Full Frame (FX) or Crop Factor DX Camera format

Discuss the technical side of photography
Peter Betts

Full Frame (FX) or Crop Factor DX Camera format

Post by Peter Betts »

I started my Digital career in 2006 moving up from Full Frame Film Nikon cameras like the F3 and F5 to the Digital Crop Factor (Thats all there was then crop factor in Digital Nikon offerings ) D200. It was noisy displaying a lot of grain as the sensor was far smaller than a Full Frame and it was caused by the pixels being squashed up on a tiny sensor = heat = noise. Soon Nikon brought out the Pro level D3 which revolutionised the Digital world as the first Digital full frame camera which I started saving up for ..Luckily a few months later Nikon produced a 2nd Semi Pro Full Frame camera the D700 which I got in about 2007 ..Pure quality and hardly any noise. Then the D3 was upgraded to the D3S which was a total game changer ..12 Megapixels ...12800 ISO and NO noise to 10 000 ISO ..I got it and wow shooting with a Pro Body again at Full Frame where my 24 mm lens was 24 mm and not 36 mm on the crop D200 ..I then went onto the D800 Full Frame 36 m pixel camera ..Slow and too much noise in low light ...So I went back to Crop DX with the D500 which was great in the Kgalagadi for the last 2 years as my 600mm could reach out to a far dune and get a shot at 900mm ..But thats not really photography ..So Last week I sold it and its gone to a good home in Rustenburg and I sold a Kidney and the box below is on its way from Orms in Cape Town to PE ..Its probably the best DSLR ever made and does everything ..Speed, Studio, Wildlife, Sport, Landscape and no it WONT make me a better photographer ..just the opposite if i take the shot too casually like with the just ex D500 ..because at 45 M Pixels this new baby will not be kind to you if you mess up with the settings and technique..Here's to future photographic adventures with my last ever camera now that I am retiring in the next year ..Yes 68 is time to chill and camp !!!
D850 Box.jpg

okie

Re: Full Frame (FX) or Crop Factor DX Camera format

Post by okie »

I'm totally lost 0:

Enough is enough
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Me too okie! =O: But good luck with your new camera Peter...and many happy hours of shooting! [O]

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Full Frame is full 35mm in size (The sensor) = better quality etc etc and Crop Factor is a smaller size = Cheaper to produce etc and the one advantage of a Crop Sensor is that in Wildlife photography you have more reach as the actual Focal length of the lens is multiplied by a factor of 1.5 in Nikon cameras and more in Canon so a Nikon 400mm lens is multiplied by 1.5 x = 600mm = brings you closer to the Kudu/Vulture etc etc . I just prefer to use a Full Frame version so my 24-70 lens say is exactly that ..Its the system I grew up on ..Better quality images too which I try and strive for ..Also at such a high resolution (45 m pixels) and I need to get more reach to get that lion at the top of a far dune I can always use the DX (Crop option) to get my 600mm end of my zoom x 1.5x = 900mm and still have 21 m pixels in the image = more than my just sold DX camera the D500!! Examples of the Canon Crop Cameras are the 7D Mk II and Full Frame 5D MkiV and 1D X MKII Examples of Nikon Crop cameras are D5300, D7500 , D500 (My old camera just sold) Examples of Nikon Full Frame cameras are D610, D750, D810 , D850 (This new camera ) and Flagship D5

okie

Post by okie »

Hmmmm...... ah well , I will just continue to use my Canon 85D and still hope for the best ;-) I'm not a competition photographer in any event ^0^

Enough is enough
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Nothing wrong with the Canon 85D Ockie ..Mine is to supplement my meagre pension ..so just a tool of the trade

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Nice box O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Lisbeth wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:15 pmNice box O**
LOL yes my box arrived an hour ago this is what came out
nikon_d850_dslr_camera_body.jpg

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

^Q^

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Happy birthday, Peter! :-0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Technical Photography Discussion Forum”