9333 miles

Tell us about your interesting Wildlife Experiences
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: 9333 miles

Post by Richprins »

Thanks for that info, Seiont!

Great experiences indeed! X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Seiont

Post by Seiont »

The Humpback Whale Megaptera novaeangliae is one of the more energetic of the large whales. There are a number of sub-populations around the world. One population spends the southern summer in Antarctic waters traveling to tropical seas off the east coast of Australia during the winter before returning south. While traveling between cold-water feeding grounds and warm-water feeding grounds they typically travel slowly, at a fast walking pace. Travel is one of two types; Up Time and Down Time. During the Up Time they blow regularly and dives are shallow. After a series of 4 to 8 blows at an interval of 15- to 30- second a period of Down Time often occurs. This is typically preceded by a steeper Fluke dive leaving an identifiable Footprint on the sea surface. A Fluke dive can be seen forming as the whale’s back forms a much rounder shape than a typical shallow Up Time dive. Down Time typically lasts 3 to 9 minutes but sometimes up to 45 minutes. While a Fluke dive can indicate the start of a Down Time it can also indicate an impending breach, lobtailing or flipper slap.

Adult Humpback whales and adults with dependant calves tend to travel directly between the feeding grounds with independent sub-adults taking a more leisurely route often circling or retracing their route. The most famous of the Eastern Australia Humpback whales is the all white Migaloo. https://www.facebook.com/MigalooWhiteFella

I’ve been whale watching before off the west coast of Wales and have seen a Minke whale off the north coast of Scotland but I knew this trip was going to be special. I was not to be disappointed.

After the initial sighting we see a sub-adult traveling south with a long Up Time.

We also see an adult with a calf traveling south.

And two sub-adults closer to the shore.

We are treated to some lobtailing too.

As the day progressed I was getting my sea legs and getting better at predicting where the whales would next surface. Photography was getting better too. (While I took most of the photographs in this section of my TT some are from a fellow traveller with whom I exchanged images). The best sighting for me was towards the end of the day.

A beautiful Fluke dive.

After the whale is gone all that is left is a near perfect Footprint. I can barely breathe. Is this the start of the Down Time or are we going to be treated to something special?

nan

Post by nan »

fantastic O/\ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

To watch the whales is something very special in my opinion O/\ O/\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Missed a couple here Seiont, but great to catch up.

Nice shots of the various birds and love the Humpbacks. I can feel a breach approaching......

0()

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Seiont wrote:White-cheeked Honeyeater Phylidonyris niger

I've crosschecked with my photos and am sure this is a New Holland Honeyeater.
The White Cheeked Honeyeater doesn't sport the white eye and the white patch on the cheek is bigger than that. \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Wow, Seiont, this is an informative tale ^Q^

The birds are beautiful, and I love the way you look for droppings on the ground =O:

My mom loved the sea, and I thought of her reading the poem. \O

Dolphins are my best sea animal - and enjoying the whales.. ^Q^

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Seiont

Post by Seiont »

Thanks nan (Happy Birthday!). O0 Agreed Lisbeth – I get a real sense of being alive near big mammals. ^Q^ Indeed Dewi you’re not wrong. ;-) Many thanks Mel, I agree it’s a New Holland – always nice to have somebody checking my ID’s. O\/ Keep reading Amoli as dolphins reappear at the very end of this tale. :-) I’m pleased you like the extra information. history, the naming of living things, place and stories all roll together and make natural history such fun.

We followed the sub-adult male for some time and then the day became joyous in a way that still makes me smile.

He started breaching and breaching. I never knew where he would explode out of the ocean next but I did manage to get some good photographs out of all the misses. (All these photographs are mine :-) ).

After spending some time with us our lovely whale stopped and gave us a spyhop. I like to think it was to check we were still enjoying his company.

I’ll finish with my two favourite photographs from this chapter of our tale.

This last photograph is the last breach I saw as we turned for Sydney harbour.

It was an unforgettable morning and a real privilege to spend time in close proximity with such a beautiful creature. The longevity of humpback whales in uncertain but believed to be up to 80 years. In that case, humanity allowing, he should easily outlive me.

After a quick return to Sydney we move on closer to our destination. Our next stop is half land and half sea and maybe not what you think…..

nan

Post by nan »

what a chance to have this show O/\ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

This is very O:V O:V O:V The only whale we ever saw breeching on our trip was at Bombo Bay and it was very far off.
You did very well with your outing. ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Tales of Wildlife Experiences & Animal Behaviour”