Discuss interesting books on conservation matters
Flutterby

Re: Discussions

Post by Flutterby »

\O

Dewi

Re: Wildlife Related Books

Post by Dewi »

Chamberlain's LBJ's arrived today - a big thank you to Sharifa for organising this for me. O0 O/\ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ \O X#X

On first looks, it's brilliant. Lots of information to go through. Excellent illustrations and birds shown in a variety of plumage forms. The maps look very detailed and up to date and there are keys and hints to identifying similar species.

A must have on your travels or in your library if you are into your LBJ's. \O

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

You welcome Dewi \O You will have to plan a trip to SA to use the book now.
Dewi wrote:Just a quick note regarding Chamberlain's LBJ's.

I've been informed by my book supplier that it is currently out of print, so do check on availability first. I believe they will be doing another print run, but unsure when?

If anyone knows differently, please update this. \O
If you in the Gauteng area you can get the book at any Chamberlain's Hardware Store. They are well stocked ^Q^
I also got one for myself and looks excellent. Now I will have to go birding this weekend to test the book :-)

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Sharifa, remember to do the "What's the Bird" challenge :twisted:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I've never seen a Chamberlain's Hardware Store....Google, here I come! ;-)

RobertT

Post by RobertT »

There is one in Strydom Park, you can see it from the highway.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Just saw that on Google! \O

Dzombo

Re: KRUGER NATIONAL PARK - A HISTORY - SALOMON JOUBERT

Post by Dzombo »

I managed to get myself a copy of this set.
It arrived a few weeks ago.
Well worth investing in.

mposthumus

Re: Wildlife Related Books

Post by mposthumus »

Flutterby wrote:Battle for the President's Elephants: Life, Lunacy and Elation in the African Bush

- Sharon Pincott
- ISBN 9781431403592

For more than a decade, Sharon Pincott has lived in the Hwange bush among The Presidential Elephants of Zimbabwe: a celebrated clan of wild elephants that she is devoted to and will do anything to protect. She has formed one of the most remarkable relationships with wild, free-roaming elephants ever documented, yet her battles to keep them safe never seem to end. One minute she’s cherishing incredibly intimate encounters with these gentle giants, the next she’s accused of being a spy and then her name appears on a Zimbabwe Police wanted-persons list. While things often seem to go from bad to worse, this passionate wildlife conservationist relentlessly perseveres, in the face of overwhelming odds, to stick by the elephants she so obviously loves. Written with engaging humour and warmth and a deep, tangible love of Africa’s wildlife, Sharon recounts the enchanting times that make her life in the wilds bearable, as well as some of the preposterous incidents that force her to question her sanity for staying in Zimbabwe.
My son gave me the book "Battle for the President's Elephants" by Sharon Pincott as a gift last Christmas. What a pleasant read. O0

"Searching for something more than her high-flying IT-executive life was offering, Sharon Pincott traded her privileged First World existence to start a new life with The Presidential Elephants of Zimbabwe – the country's flagship clan of over 450 wild elephants. She knew nothing of Zimbabwe's ways; she was unpaid, untrained, self-funded and arrived with the starry-eyed air of most foreigners. For more than a decade, this passionate wildlife conservationist has lived in the Hwange bush amongst the Presidential Elephants that she is devoted to and will do anything to protect. One minute she's cherishing incredibly intimate encounters with these gentle giants, the next she's accused of being a spy and then her name appears on a Zimbabwe police wanted-persons list. While things often seem to go from bad to worse, she relentlessly perseveres in the face of overwhelming odds to stick by the elephants she so obviously loves. Written with engaging humour and warmth and a deep, tangible love of Africa's wildlife, Sharon recounts the enchanting times that make her life in the wilds bearable, as well as some of the preposterous incidents that force her to question her sanity in staying in Zimbabwe. Succeeding her highly praised book, The Elephants and I, this captivating collection of bush tales, including two eight-page picture sections, offers a further glimpse into the wonders, and grim realities, of choosing a life less ordinary.”

I was highly thrilled O\/ when I saw she now has a DVD available named "All the President's Elephants" which was delivered via courier to my doorstep today. O/\ To meet her in person by means of the DVD confirmed the everlasting impression she made on me through her book. The love for “her” elephants shines in her eyes when she is surrounded by them. 0/0

“Sharon Pincott, despite harassment, physical abuse and being accused of being a spy, has formed one of the most remarkable relationships between humans and wild elephants ever documented. She breaks all the rules of the wildlife observation when she reaches out and touches Lady, one of the Presidential Herd's matriarchs. The dramatic, but inspiring, story of Lady and the 400-strong elephant herd unfold to reveal the emotions of these giants - joy, mourning, playfulness, jealousy and anger. but the herd is under threat. In desperation, Sharon seeks and audience with Robert Mugabe to convince him to reaffirm the 21-year-old Presidential Decree that protects this remarkable herd of wild elephants.”

After the handing over of the re-affirmation of the President’s Decree by Hon. Minister Francis Nhema, Sharon took him on a drive where they met "Misty" (one of Sharon's favorite elephant cows) and the rest of her herd. Minister Nhema’s speech (which he delivered not from a piece of paper, but I believe from his heart) touched me deeply and I quote. ^Q^ ^Q^

“Human beings always take for granted that we are the clever ones that we are the knowledgeable ones, but yesterday I got a rude awakening. I found more greed, more selfishness in people. What we call wilderness is probably more civilised than what we call civilisation. So dear friends let us stop, think and reflect on the lessons we learn from the wilderness, on the simple life that they live. That, perhaps, will be the answer to mankind.”

Sharon is still fighting the good fight in Zimbabwe. \O

I highly recommend both her book “Battle for the President’s Elephants” – ISBN 978-1-4314-0359-2 @ R175,89 as well as her DVD – “All the President’s Elephants” @ R84,63 (available from Kalahari.com)

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Has anyone actually read Rademeyer's Killing for Profit?

Just started it, but I already find it very disturbing as to how wildlife criminals were being dismissed from court
(if they ever got that far!) some 20 / 25 years ago. And also the involvement of the people higher up in the food
chain. (0!)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Books & Recommended Reading”