Ban Taxis From Kruger Park

These Petitions are supported by Africa Wild, help us to make a difference by casting your vote here.
RobertT

Re: Ban Taxis From Kruger Park

Post by RobertT »

I still maintain the main culprits in speeding are not only taxi's, singling them out is not going to get a solution. The 50 vehicles stopped and fined speaks directly to that, there are also taxi's in South. 50 people caught speeding is the problem, not who they were or what they were driving and even the reason they were there is immaterial just the fact they were speeding is the problem. I bet a lot of the people who signed the petition against the taxi's also speed and if caught will use any excuse to justify it away.

The 35000 or even 50 000 signatures are a small percentage of people visiting the park and although not all people visiting the park drive, not all the people signing the petition drive or even visit park regularly. People sign petitions because they are there and sometimes don't bother about the facts or details, they sign because it sounds good and my friend asked me to sign it even if it never had any effect on their lives.

When singling out a specific group out of the bigger picture of speeding here comes my dilemma, I have a dislike for Taxi's and their drivers because of the way they drive in Jhb, so If I am signing that petition, am I signing because of my dislike of the local drivers and their behaviour or the drivers in Kruger who I have not had a problem with yet and don't come across often? There have been other accidents not involving taxi's, where are those petitions?
We have a huge problem with crime in our country, which criminals should we petition the government to act against, armed robbery, housebreaking, shoplifting, muggers, car hijackers, smash and grabs, murders, farm murders etc or do we want all crime and all criminality treated the same?

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

\O \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

So what do you suggest? :-)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

They need to be more stringent on monitoring the speed on busy roads, and punishing offenders.

RobertT

Post by RobertT »

What I got from the video is that there are 50+ vehicles acting the same as the taxi ie 50 different looking taxi's and we as public know this as we constantly complain about it. Do you suggest they concentrate on the taxi's and leave these vehicles or concentrate on the problem which at end of the day is the speeding.

If the taxi wants to come in one gate and exit another and as long as he does all the correct paperwork and sticks to speed limit, I have no problem with that, plenty of public do that currently and do short cuts through park.

The law enforcement needs to be stepped up, by doing that you are taking care of the taxis as well as the other speedsters and rule transgressors. If they are able to fine again, those fines will fund the law enforcement quite comfortably, I would even go so far as to make bonus on a commission basis. More people caught speeding, more money in guys pocket. \O

Alf

Post by Alf »

RobertT wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:26 pm What I got from the video is that there are 50+ vehicles acting the same as the taxi ie 50 different looking taxi's and we as public know this as we constantly complain about it. Do you suggest they concentrate on the taxi's and leave these vehicles or concentrate on the problem which at end of the day is the speeding.

If the taxi wants to come in one gate and exit another and as long as he does all the correct paperwork and sticks to speed limit, I have no problem with that, plenty of public do that currently and do short cuts through park.

The law enforcement needs to be stepped up, by doing that you are taking care of the taxis as well as the other speedsters and rule transgressors. If they are able to fine again, those fines will fund the law enforcement quite comfortably, I would even go so far as to make bonus on a commission basis. More people caught speeding, more money in guys pocket. \O
Perfect job for me.......... :-0

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Hmmm, so the petition has served its purpose. \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

lol

To: Fundisile Mketeni, CEO of South African National Parks
Call on Fundisile Mketeni to stop the banning of Taxis at Kruger National Park
NN
Contact Campaign Creator
Campaign created by
Nza Nza

Dear Fundisile Mketeni, CEO of South African National Parks,

We call on you to stop the banning of taxis from Kruger National Park. This is an anti-Black and anti-poor policy and will only make it very difficult for people without cars to access the park.
Why is this important?

We believe that the intention to ban taxis from Kruger National Park is anti-Black and anti-poor as many Black South Africans do not own cars and use taxis to get to Kruger National Park. By banning taxis from Kruger, many Black people won't be able to see the park and it will become exclusively only for people who own cars.

Join us in our call to stop Fundisile Mketeni, the CEO of South African National Parks, from banning taxis at Kruger National Park. Join the campaign now and make sure Kruger National Park doesn't become exclusively for people with cars.

https://awethu.amandla.mobi/petitions/p ... 51be2df645

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Park petition to ban taxis sparks debate
Posted by Elise Kirsten on 25 November 2019

Earlier this month a combi carrying 13 people and heading towards Letaba in the Kruger National Park hit and killed a giraffe. The giraffe then fell onto an oncoming vehicle carrying two international tourists. The Swiss driver of the vehicle, who was driving in the opposite direction, was critically injured and subsequently died in hospital.

The incident sparked an outcry against speeding within the park borders and specifically against taxis driving in the park. This led to a petition to ban taxis from the park. The petition has already garnered over 36,000 signatures.

Kruger National Park spokesperson Isaac Phaahla was interviewed on e-News, and said it would be unfair to describe the vehicle that hit the giraffe as a mini-bus taxi, as it was filled with community members on an outing within the park. He also said that although he was unable to speculate whether the combi was speeding as a police investigation into the matter is underway, the Park has a zero-tolerance approach to speeding within its borders – whether it be a mini-bus taxi or private vehicle.

When asked what the Park’s stance is on the petition, he said that its opportunistic of the 30,000 odd people that took advantage of the latest tragedy. ‘We still have a section of our population that is poor, we’re living in a very unequal society [with] people that have their own cars and with poor people that have to pool their resources to be able to access the park. We can’t ban people and make it exclusive to those who are much more privileged.’

He also said that there are no mini-bus taxis that travel within the park except for those travelling from Phalaborwa to Mozambique on a ‘highly regulated route’ in which the taxis’ roadworthiness is inspected and they have to apply for permits.

Ndoweni Malala commented on the private Kruger National Park, ‘I am disturbed by the petition to ban taxis in Kruger National Park. How do we expect people who don’t have cars to visit Kruger…?’

https://www.getaway.co.za/travel-news/k ... ks-debate/

harrys

Post by harrys »

And there we have it the R card being played yet again :evil: if people, all vehicles abide by the law of the road there would be no problem :X: if SANparks do their job and enforce the law there would be no problem but they sit in camps under trees, sleeping or scratching in their noses :evil: @#$

The passengers in the taxis also have a responsibility to get that driver to follow the traffic law but again they just don't care, tipical Africa mentality 0= 0=

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??

Return to “Petitions Forum”