Heat Waves and Tsetse fly*

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Heat Waves and Tsetse fly

Post by Mel »

Geez - that tiny littly ellie is amazing!!! O:V

Do those waterholes have names? And did you go to the national park or to Hwange Estate?
I know there is quite some wildlife utilization around the park - are those areas fenced off
from another? (Questions, questions, questions :o0ps: )

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Once again thank you for staying with me on my travels. Enjoy reading your comments - especially as they are all so complimentary. 0/*

@Mel We were in the National Park. As you correctly state there is a lot that goes on next to the park in regards to wildlife. The wild dog research center is on entrance road but outside the park. No fences. A few broken down farm fences here and there. This has its problems as a pack of painted dog where wiped out on the road outside the park.
The waterholes do have names and there a plenty.

I have posted a link - perhaps it will give you some more information (it also has a map of Hwange with all the names of the pans. :-)

http://www.victoriafalls-guide.net/hwan ... -park.html

Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Platform one became a regular stopping place. We would take a drive and land up sitting at the waterhole.
Beside from the wall to wall elephant on our drives - there was always something else to add to our sighting. From the lowly tortoise,

to the elusive Sable.

When we arrived at the waterhole, the two hippo were in exactly the same spot. To the day we left from our last visit to the waterhole these hippo where in exactly the same place.
I cannot believe they had a little one – as we had been told. There was no sign of life, not even an ear twitch. I was assured they had been out grazing the previous afternoon and had chased a crocodile. I was still skeptical. We could see the crocodile lying under the tree motionless as the baboons and impala sedately made their way across the minimal grass. Young baboon gamboled around behaving like any small child on an outing.

Our attention was soon redirected to the waterhole. A small elephant was being bullied by a larger elephant. The little one was pushed off, dunked under the water and appeared to be kicked by the larger creature.

Undeterred it kept getting back on its feet only to be knocked down again. Feisty little devil was not giving up and managed to rejoin his mom.

After resting from his/her ordeal it was time for some refreshments.

Finally with a slight limp he/she and mom wandered off to the distant vegetation.

On the way home – once again having cut it fine to make the gates in time – the sun was sinking lower and lower. There was a giraffe coming down to drink at another waterhole and a scene that only happens in Africa. What a privileged people we are to live on this beautiful continent.

Checking my watch and the distance we decided we could afford to wait a little longer, then a little longer. A few of the other vehicles joined us as we sat on tenterhooks waiting for the sunset but at the same time worrying about getting back to camp without speeding!

We made the gates by the skin of our teeth and without breaking the speed limit. Sometimes luck or good judgement does pay off.

After an incredible sunset
the moon took over.

You almost expected to hear wolves howling in the distance - but that is for another place and another continent!

The night sounds soothed the soul and a total feeling of belonging cloaked my body. I definitely did not belong in the rat race of the concrete jungle.

The soothing night sounds were soon shattered by the myriad sounds of hyena scenting blood. The mortal scream of an impala soon followed and the cackle of hyena filled the darkness. Nature at her best. Death for life in this drought stricken park. Survival – not mans greed to kill for gain.

Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Deciding not to do an early drive we sat around camp enjoying the birdlife and sounds of nature. So often we feel compelled to get in the car and drive, drive, drive. Walking around the camp site offers opportunities that are not always available in a car.

Time for a quick drive to the wild dog research center to give them copies of the photo’s from Mana pools. They only had one dog in residency. This is not good as they are pack animals. The center is as good as any captive animals situation can be. The dogs had plenty of room to run and walkways gave humans the opportunity of watching the dogs – when they have them. One of the problems these painted dog face once they are released – especially round the Hwange area is they are very often the victims of road kill. The animals can wander at will along the main roads where the speed limit is a lot higher than in the protected areas.

When we got back sis and I went for a drive on our own. We headed to the waterhole to see if there was any activity at the hippo carcass. The Marabou stork where out in force and enjoying the frotting flesh. We parked and watched for a time.

One stork found a choice piece of something! He arrogantly stalked off – only to have his authority questioned by another who wanted his tasty morsel. Dignity out the window as it tried to evade a confrontation.

What followed was a bizarre dance and to the victor the spoils. The morsel was quickly swallowed down by the attacker and the forager was left with nothing. Image Image
ImageImage Image

Moving on we took a 4x4 route only. We meandered amongst the trees but the road deteriorated. Not only huge holes but it was getting narrower and narrower. We soon decided to do a u-turn as being alone with no form of communication we would not have been popular if we had got stuck – not only that neither of us particularly wanted to spend a night in the car. With great difficulty we were soon back on track.

It must have been a working day. The secretaries were out in force. Scatter brained as they seem they were frantically hunting through the long grass. I am sure their aimless tracks have a more serious purpose in mind, than amusing us humans.

Image Image

A few warthog made their way through the long grass. Stopping abruptly to have a family conflab. Whatever was discussed must have been rather frightening as, without warning, they dashed off with their tails straight up behind them.

A lone giraffe made his nervous way down for a drink. A graceful walk that covers ground very quickly. Looking around ensuring all was safe before he sank down to slake his thirst.

Image Image

We headed back to camp to spend a bit of time stretching our legs. Then for a late afternoon drive.
We headed straight to Platform 1. When we arrived a bus load of school children where there, plus the crew from the BBC which meant it was a little crowded.
My BIL and I went and sat on the car away from the crowds. He seemed to be very withdrawn and not his normal chatty self. I was watching the elephant in the wter when he tapped me on my arm. Walking towards the water were three elephant. An albino? No! A new born.
He shone silver and pink as the sun glistened off his tiny body.

Before long he was in the mud and water. The only pink left was his ears as the sun shone through them. He discovered a strange looking appendage attached in front of him. The little thing had no idea what it was or what to do with it.
ImageImage

ImageImage

Dung – this is specially placed for little ones to stand on and survey the scenery.
Image Image ImageImage

Time to head for the safety of the trees.
ImageImage

We noticed the animals were getting very skittish. We knew there were lion in the area - but where?

Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Although I was enjoying the elephants in the water - I knew the lion were somewhere - it was just a case of finding them. I was fixated on some tree on the distant horizon. In between watching the elephant and other creatures in the water I kept peering into the distance. Finally the dead log moved! A shadow - a motion - a lion head. Having my curiosity satisfied and feeling pretty pleased with myself that my instincts had not been wrong I could return my attention back to the elephant in the water.

As the shadows lengthened, the creatures of the wild congregated around the water edge.

There is so much on offer and so little time. It was hard to accept that this would be the final evening spent at Platform one. We had been so privileged to have this time in the wild - but like all good things there is always an end in sight. Making the most of the dying day we finally had to trudge our way down to the vehicles and head back to camp for our final night.

We did not have a good sighting of lion - nor did any other cat honor us with their presence. No painted dog to be seen - although we knew they were somewhere in the park. Did this matter?

In my eyes no.

We had seen so much and had so many incredible encounters over the past three weeks I was not going to begrudge the absence of the cats and dogs in Hwange. Heat waves and tsetse fly we had in plenty but it was hours and days that will stick with me for many years to come. New friendships forged. The joy of being with my only sister and her husband - the heartache of missing my child and husband only made the moments more poignant and memorable.

Sure - there were ups and downs - but this made it all the more interesting. We had survived warm drinks, toys thrown, storms on lakes, tears, laughter, punctures, broken springs, hail storms and rain. We had also walked with wild dog, close encounters with elephant, warthog investigating sleeping bodies, hyena looking for a quick snack and buffalo examining our cars. Vervets waiting for us to leave camp before invading and feeding their young from our kettle - it doesn't get much better than that!

As we drove back to camp we were give a strong vision of no matter how barren things can be there is always life and new growth of hope - there is always positive in every situation.

Strange how random thoughts can enter your head. As I lay in my tent that night - listening to the night sounds I realized how precious our moments on earth are and how blessed we are to be able to interact with the creatures of the wild.

The lion killed that night. Was it the baby elephant - or had the BBC caught for all eternity the killing of an adult?

Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

2013 a new year and a new adventure - will be back to Mana Pools in a different season - but before then will be heading for Tembe, Kruger, Botswana and Mozambique. I do not want to wish my life away - but let the days fly to the first of my adventures for 2013
- Tembe!

Return to “Travel Tales of Zimbabwe Parks”