International Opinions about Rhino Poaching in South Africa

Post by Penga Ndlovu »

What a bunch of Chops!!! O/ O/ O/ O/

Forget cocaine: rhino horn is the new drug
Save this story to read later

By Erin Conway-Smith
AAP
August 27, 2012 9:31PM

MORE expensive than cocaine, rhino horn has become the party drug of choice among Vietnam's bright young things.

Instead of a razor blade and mirror, a roughly textured ceramic bowl is used for grinding down rhinoceros horn into a powder to be mixed with water or wine.

Rhino horn is made of keratin, the same protein as fingernails. Scientists say it has no medicinal value, and users aren't getting high. The belief in Vietnam is that drinking a tonic made from the horn will detoxify the body after a night of heavy boozing, and prevent a hangover. One Vietnamese news website described rhino horn wine as "the alcoholic drink of millionaires".

This is the latest twist in South Africa's devastating rhino poaching crisis, which began with a sudden boom in illegal killings of the endangered animal in 2008 and has worsened every year since. Demand among the newly wealthy in Vietnam is the root of the problem, says TRAFFIC, the wildlife trade monitoring group.

Tom Milliken, a rhino expert with TRAFFIC who has worked extensively in Asia and Africa, says that in Vietnam, offering your friends rhino horn at a party has become a fashionable way to show wealth and status.

The way it happens is like this: "I would get my closest friends and we'd go into another room. I would bring out some rhino horn and we'd all take it and then come back into the party," explained Milliken, who studied the phenomenon in Vietnam.

A new TRAFFIC report, co-authored by Milliken, extensively details how surging demand for horn in Vietnam, corruption in South Africa's wildlife industry, loopholes in regulations and sophisticated criminal networks have all fed into the poaching epidemic.

Vietnam's status-seeking new rich have become the world's largest consumer group of rhino horn, spurring demand and the continued slaughter of rhinos in South Africa.

Another key group of Vietnamese consumers is people with serious illnesses, in particular cancer, who believe rhino horn can cure them despite the lack of any medical evidence. The TRAFFIC report describes the disturbing phenomenon of "rhino horn touts" stalking the corridors at hospitals, seeking out desperate patients with cancer.

An update released on Thursday by South Africa's Department of Environmental Affairs said that 339 rhino have been killed illegally in the country since the start of 2012, on track to be the worst year for poaching yet.

There have also been 192 poaching-related arrests this year - also on track to surpass those of 2011.

South Africa is the primary target for poachers because it is home to 21,000 rhinos, or more than 80 per cent of the world population. It is where rhinos were brought back from the brink of extinction in the 1960s, and where today they are again most threatened.

South Africa and Vietnam are beginning to co-operate on the problem, although progress has been slow.

Vietnam's deputy foreign affairs minister Le Loung Minh visited South Africa last week for talks on illegal trade in wildlife with his counterpart Ebrahim Ebrahim. The two governments are set to sign a memorandum of understanding that would encompass co-operation in criminal investigations. But it has taken a year of sporadic talks to reach this point - a sign of the lack of urgent action.

"Longing for the bush is a luxury many have.
Living in the bush is a luxury that only a few have"
leachy

Re: Forget cocaine: rhino horn is the new drug

Post by leachy »

Penga Ndlovu wrote:
By Erin Conway-Smith
AAP
August 27, 2012 9:31PM

MORE expensive than cocaine, rhino horn has become the party drug of choice among Vietnam's bright young things...........................................................................................................
:-? :-? :-? :-?

any idea what the "AAP" stands for ???????????

the future is not what it used to be
Penga Ndlovu

Post by Penga Ndlovu »

Australian Associated Press

\O \O

"Longing for the bush is a luxury many have.
Living in the bush is a luxury that only a few have"
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

0- 0- 0- to those people.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

It's almost seems as if, when they are told rhino horn can't cure cancer, and is not an aphrodisiac, they just come up with some other stupid reason to use it!!! O/ O/

iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

A Rhino must die to prove their non existant status. :evil: What status? These people are lower than shark you know what in my book. They have no status, just brainless, no account dregs of the world that are stealing oxygen to feed a living organism. 0- (0) (0)

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Hope it doesn't catch on here in Africa... O-/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Start clipping your toenails everyone, I think I know how we can raise funds to help the rhino's here.

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

If only Dewi!! -O

Dewi

Post by Dewi »

It's exactly the same substance and if those mugs are stupid enough to pay good money for it, who am I to deny them their high. (And it will be high, have you smelt my feet? :shock: ) =O: =O: =O:

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)

Return to “Rhino Management and Poaching”