Rhino Poaching: Setbacks

Information & discussion on the Rhino Poaching Pandemic
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Section Ranger Shot by SANDF Patrol

Post by Richprins »

This is excellent news! ^Q^

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Toko

Rhino Poaching: Setbacks

Post by Toko »

Rhino poaching tackled despite idle planes

02 August 2013

It has been over a year since it was reported that two planes belonging to the provincial Department of Environmental Affairs had been grounded at the Pietersburg Civil Airports, and the no action has allegedly been taken to fix this. These planes had been in the hanger for over a year prior to the report.
“These planes are UMA planes, one turbo and the other is a normal plane. The information we have is that these planes were purchased for aerial patrol of anti-poaching activities, fence patrol, and veld fire control and to curb other illegal activities” said DA spokesperson Desiree van Der Walt.
She said that to have these planes impounded like they are and not being used is a complete waste of taxpayers’ money.
She added that with the swiftly escalating pace of rhino poaching in the province, it is clear that the Department is neglecting its duties.
“If these planes are broken, then they should have been fixed and put to good use. Clearly some official is derelict in their duties. Our efforts to bring this to the attention of the provincial Department of Environmental Affairs have not been successful” she said.
The DA said that they are left with no option but to write to the Minister of Public Administration, Lindiwe Sisulu, to seek her intervention to ensure that the officials at the Department of Environmental Affairs attend to the issue.
Spokesperson for the Department, Joshua Kwapa, said the Department can confirm that the two departmental planes have been put down this financial year. This was apparently due to an internal investigation relating to their use. ”We are currently unable to provide further details on the matter as the investigations are currently underway. Upon conclusion of the internal investigation we shall issue a statement in this regard” he said.

[...]

Dewi

Re: Limpopo: Rhino poaching tackled despite idle planes

Post by Dewi »

How were the two planes "put down" ? By lethal injection? Hope it was done humanely. :twisted:

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

http://www.looklocal.co.za/looklocal/co ... -of-ordeal

Shot ranger tells of ordeal

06 August 2013 | Nicolene Smalman

NELSPRUIT - Mr Andrew Desmet, section ranger of Letaba in the Kruger National Park, is a walking miracle.

Yesterday, he was finally discharged from Mediclinic Nelspruit after having been shot four times with a high calibre assault rifle during an anti-rhino poaching operation on May 24.

Although he still has a long road to full recovery ahead of him, he and his physicians are hopeful that he will be able to return to duty in the bush.

Lowvelder interviewed Desmet in hospital on Friday - a day after he had undergone a fourth operation. He was obviously in a lot of pain, but that didn't prevent his blue eyes from smiling along as he bravely spoke about his terrible ordeal.

It is suspected that he was accidentally shot by a South African National Defence Force soldier that day. He was reluctant to talk about exactly what had happened as the police investigation was still ongoing. He relayed the events since the moment he realised he was wounded.

"It was full moon and already dark. I was shot four times," he began. Desmet was wounded from behind and could feel the flesh through his pants. He immediately realised he was in serious trouble.

He radioed for help and his colleagues tried to get an air-force helicopter to take him to hospital, but there wasn't one available. Mr Charles Thompson, SANParks pilot, didn't hesitate to assist and went to fetch him with the official helicopter. Desmet is allergic to bees and always carries adrenalin shots with him. He injected himself three times and managed to stay awake for the full 90 minutes it took for the helicopter to arrive.

Yes, he did think that he might not survive. "I was so worried about my family. I couldn't let my children grow up without a dad," he says. He and his wife, Linda, have three daugthers - Rebecca (14), Cailin (13) and Rachel (4).

It was only when he was given morphine in the air, that he lost consciousness. He was brought to Mediclinic where he would spend five weeks in ICU - four under sedation. He spent another five weeks in a general ward.

He showed X-rays taken of his body. Three of his ribs were shattered and had to be removed; his diaphragm was ripped off on one side and one of his lungs had collapsed. One of the bullets also shattered his hip which will have to be rebuilt. He has an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon on August 21, when it will be decided upon a plan of action to fix his leg.

"The doctor said I shouldn't have survived, but, I'm a fighter and I pulled through. It was prayer that got me through. I've been blessed," he smiled.

It was unplanned, but that's life, Andrew reasoned. "It showed me again how quickly your life can change. Your priorities change." He admitted that he focused too much on work and neglected his family in the process.

"Work takes up a lot of our time and because of rhino poaching you work long hours and weekends. It's not our job, it's our passion. We take this ongoing war very personally," he explained.

• The Andrew Desmet support group on Facebook has more than 2 600 members. Desmet would like to thank them all for their prayers and continued support.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Good on you Andrew! You're a good man!!! \O

Maybe we can chat over a cold one at the next school function. X#X

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Good news that he's pulled through so well! \O

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

From Andrew this morning:
Hello everyone! Hope you are all going to have a great weekend... Dr Steyn (orthopedic surgeon) gave me a call this morning and mentioned that he has looked at the CT scan and it is clear that the hip is too messed up to fix and the only option available is a hip replacement operation, he said that he would try and put in the hard ceramic variety which lasts longer but that it would depend on how many bullet fragments are in the area if there are too many he will not be able to use the ceramic variety.. Anyway.. He is planning to do the operation next week Friday - 30 August 2013 and I need to be at the hospital at 08h00 and the operation will be done that afternoon.. Not looking forward to operation but glad it's eventually going to be sorted out... Thanks for all the messages

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

He has to go through quite a bit. O-/

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Strongs! \O

The incident has galvanised law enforcement on the ground, make no mistake... O:V

vinkie

Post by vinkie »

By Andrew Desmet on Facebook:

Hello.... I'm being discharged today... ... So I'm very excited to be allowed to go and recover at home... Strict instructions not to put any weight on left leg for six weeks and to be very careful not to dislocate it... Had radiation treatment yesterday and that all went smoothly... hip and leg still very sore, swollen and tender but that should sort itself out with time... wound is looking okay and staples can come out after two weeks... i hope you all have a lekka weekend! Thx again for all messages, prayers and support... They have really helped me to get over what should be the last major hurdle of my recovery ... It's been a real miracle to have gotten this far and I thank you all for all the support. GOD has blessed me!

Return to “Rhino Management and Poaching”