Rhino Horn Stockpiles & Thefts

Information & discussion on the Rhino Poaching Pandemic
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Rhino horns stolen from MTPA

Post by Mel »

However, Modipane added that the area in which the safe is located, was not fitted with an alarm.
0*\ 0*\ 0*\

Wonder how many people knew about that...
The perpetrators ground through the safe without any of Lutsango’s guards hearing them.
You need to know how large the areal of the whole MTPA really is but I'm surprised that they didn't hear
anything at all. It does take a bit of time to open a safe illegally, I would expect. -O-

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

There is a lot of foul play going on all over the place :evil:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Correct, Lis! :evil:

Thanks for all the links, Toks! 0/0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Mel wrote:
You need to know how large the areal of the whole MTPA really is but I'm surprised that they didn't hear
anything at all. It does take a bit of time to open a safe illegally, I would expect. -O-
The area is virtually in town...adjacent to Hall's Gateway and near Mbombela Stadium. Maybe a hectare? -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Penga Ndlovu

Post by Penga Ndlovu »

See no evil. Hear no evil. Speak no evil. Pay up man and I will impersonate an Ostrich for a little while.

The African way.

"Longing for the bush is a luxury many have.
Living in the bush is a luxury that only a few have"
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Just a repeat of one of Toko's links 0/0 ...a bit easier to read and have highlighted some alarming subjuncts:

NELSPRUIT – Crisis reigns yet again at the Mpumalanga Tourism and Park Agency (MTPA) after the current CEO Mr Jacques Modipane, was temporally removed from office.

This follows after the organisation was flung into the spotlight this week after a large amount of rhino horn was stolen late Sunday night from the safes at the MTPA’s head office on the outskirts of the city.

Modipane was put on 14 days of forced leave by the acting board chairman Ms Clarah Ndlovu. The Chief Operating Officer Mr Edwin Tswala was appointed as acting CEO. This has led to great uncertainty at the MTPA offices this morning with personal gathering outside, demanding clarity on the current state of affairs.

It is generally accepted that internal politics have played a major role in the decision to temporarily remove Modipane. The strict financial measure imposed by him during the past 18 months had also affected the income of some board members. This decision from the board now appears to be a knee-jerk response to the theft of rhino horn from the MTPA earlier this week.

The DA responded in a media release this afternoon, demanding that Mpumalanga Economic Development and Tourism MEC Ms Pinky Phosa immediately disband the board. Modipane has been trying to instill good, clean coorporative governance in the agency. The DA alleged that his sacking is a mere smokescreen to protect certain individuals from being fingered in the rhino horn theft saga.

Modipane’s removal and the imminent replacement of Phosa after the elections will have a devastating impact on this investigation, and leaves the DA in no doubt that certain forces are at play to ensure that the entire rhino-horn theft scandal will be swept under the carpet after May 7.

Phosa was not available for comment. Her spokesmen were unaware of this. Ndlovu has confirmed the situation and promised to be available for comment later this weekend.

It is also known that Tswala’s five-year contract as COO at the MTPA is expiring by the end of this month. This is in the midst of his current period as acting CEO. He also acted as CEO before the appointment of Modipane in 2012. During this time with him at the helm, the agency received a financial disclaimer from the Auditor General.

http://lowvelder.co.za/188677/managemen ... orn-theft/

Toko

Post by Toko »

Mpumalanga Tourism CEO rejects suspension after 40 rhino horns stolen

Sapa | 01 Mai, 2014 10:27

The Mpumalanga Tourism and Parks Agency's (MTPA) CEO has refused to accept his suspension and is back at work.

"Pinky Phosa [MEC for economic development, environmental affairs and tourism] told me in a letter this morning [Wednesday] that the board cannot do this. I am the executive head and I must return to work," Jacques Modipane was quoted as saying, in a Beeld newspaper report.

"According to the law I have a choice and I say no."

Acting MTPA board chairwoman Clara Ndlovu removed Modipane from his post last Thursday after about 40 rhino horns were stolen from the organisation's safe. News agency Agence France-Presse reported the horns could be worth up to US16 million (around R170m).

According to Modipane the MTPA board is gunning for him after he fired several high-ranking employees in a bid to root out corruption.

MTPA spokesman Kholofelo Nkambule said no arrests had been made in connection with the rhino horn theft.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

-O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

Situations like this were so prolificly expressed at the Oscap meet,...
Corruption knows not a boundary!!!,....of goodness and intent,..

Too many loose handles floating about where corruption can tag on!!

Heh,.. H.e
H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

Lisbeth, the world out there hails us for the new constitution that
we have embrassed, with little regard as to how we will cope with
this new privilege!!!

We seem to have become so free in self indulgence that not even
self respect matters anymore, let alone the wilderness out there!!

South Africa has lost a sense of responsibility toward self, now try
attach wilderness concern to this scenario of intent???

I am afraid we have a problem here!!!

Heh,.. H.e

Return to “Rhino Management and Poaching”