Information & discussion on the Rhino Poaching Pandemic
RogerFraser
Site Admin

OSCAP Update-Change Ahead

Post by RogerFraser »

Facebook update on the operations of OSCAP:

‎Allison Thomson‎ to Outraged SA Citizens against Poaching:
1 hr ·
For 6 years I have headed up the OSCAP team and with a heavy heart I am going to be handing over OSCAP to Kim Da Ribeira.
My husband has retired and we will be spending a couple of months overseas so for me to continue to run the group and the non profit will become increasingly more difficult over time so I took the bold move to rather hand over to Kim who is well versed and more than capable of doing a great job.
I am hoping that Kim's strategy in dealing with issues will bring fresh thought and direction to the group. I will still be around for a month or two to assist with handing over and will always be "lurking" in the background and will be available to assist when and if needed.
Thank you all for your support. Looking back over the years we have achieved a lot. We have 4 rhino ambulances out in the field, we have assisted private rhino owners with sponsoring of dehorning and infusion treatments, we have supplied anti poaching gear (night vision goggles, boots, camera traps, bullet proof vests, fridges and washing machines etc), to many reserves and we managed to raise funds to relocate 12 rhinos out of danger of poachers to a safer reserve. We have participated in many documentaries and done hundreds of interviews to create awareness and reduce demand. Those are just a few of the many things that I am proud of achieving. We have made mistakes along the way and learnt a great deal. Looking back to when I started OSCAP I am astounded at how much I have learnt and how many fabulous people I have met along the way. It has been an incredible journey.
I am so very grateful to you all for making all this possible and trust that you will give Kim and the rest of the OSCAP admin team the same support and trust you gave me over the years that made it possible for us to achieve all of the above. Handing over has been one of the most difficult things I have had to do but know that it is the right thing to do in order to ensure that the interests of our rhinos and wildlife remain a priority.
Ally xx

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: OSCAP Update-Change Ahead

Post by Lisbeth »

Unfortunately the great work that you have done and the ongoing one will be of no importance if Sanparks continues on their commercializing trail, because unavoidably the animals will disappear, there will be nothing to see and nobody will visit any more. This mostly goes for the Kruger National Park. It will take time, but it is bound to end like that. If we are lucky, at the end there will be big enclosures with various animals like in the zoos 0*\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Well done on the achievements under your "command", Alice and enjoy retirement \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

This is so sad, but fine, Ally. I have the utmost highest respect for you and your tireless efforts have become famous and changed the rhino game in the country, especially at the beginning of the war, when you drew a line in the sand and said no more.

It is an example to us all, and points have been made. You deserve great and official recognition as a private citizen of South africa...in fact you have it from the community, trust me.

The material contributions re donations are not that important versus the ideological standpoint, I think.

It has been a pleasure indeed, and not over by a long stretch, knowing you over the years! X#X

Good luck to Kim, we are always there!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Thank you Allison for everything you have done in the fight to save our rhinos. You will be sorely missed.

Return to “Rhino Management and Poaching”