S T R O O P - journey into the rhino horn war trailer

Information & discussion on the Rhino Poaching Pandemic
Lisbeth
Site Admin

SA film wins award ahead of world premiere at US festival

Post by Lisbeth »

Posted on 2 August, 2018 by STROOP in Events, Multimedia, News, Wildlife and the News Desk post series.

STROOP – Journey into the Rhino Horn War, the locally made documentary film, has been awarded the 2018 Green Tenacity Award by the judges of the Eighth Annual San Francisco Green Film Festival. This comes ahead of the film’s world premiere at the festival which will run from Thursday September 6 through to Friday, September 14.

What makes the win and the premiere all the more impressive is the fact that the festival organisers received 350 submissions but ultimately only 26 films were selected to screen and, of those, only five have received awards.

Says a delighted Bonné de Bod, who produces and fronts the film: “We are over the moon at receiving this prestigious award and it makes all our hard work and dedication to this film that much more worthwhile.

“Hopefully, it also means that the recognition will create additional awareness and encourage even more people to see the film when it releases.”

According to the festival’s criteria, the Green Tenacity Award is given to filmmakers “who show great tenacity in exploring crucial environmental issues in their work”.

STROOP – Journey into the Rhino Horn War tells the shocking and touching story of the ongoing poaching of the rhinoceros and the trade in its coveted horn. Four years in the making, this labour of love saw de Bod and director Susan Scott sell their houses, leave their jobs and move in with their mothers in order to document what is happening in the fight to save the rhino from extinction. Initially setting out on a six-month project it became a dangerous and intense expedition for which the passionate duo often found themselves in immense danger. In an exclusive first, de Bod and Scott filmed special ranger units inside the world famous Kruger National Park and at the home of the white rhino, the Hluhluwe iMfolozi Park and travelled undercover to the dangerous back rooms of wildlife traffickers and dealers in China and Vietnam. The result is a hard-hitting – and ultimately moving – documentary that challenges and shocks viewers.

Through unprecedented footage, Scott and de Bod have created a stunning, independent film – made with crowdfunding and grants – that shows why this hunted and targeted species deserves to live in dignity, free from exploitation by illegal traders, poachers, money men and corrupt governments.

STROOP – Journey into the Rhino Horn War will premiere in South Africa in February 2019 after its film festival run overseas.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Re: S T R O O P - journey into the rhino horn war trailer

Post by Flutterby »

Thanks Roger. \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:ty: Rog!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: SA film wins award ahead of world premiere at US festival

Post by Lisbeth »

SA rhino film wins top awards at US film festivals

Press release by STROOP / JAG Communications - 16.10.2018

The South African feature documentary STROOP – Journey into the Rhino Horn War has won the coveted Best Documentary award at the prestigious San Diego International Film Festival held this past weekend.

Hollywood’s Mudbound producer Kyle Tekiela presented the award to filmmakers Bonné de Bod and Susan Scott saying, “documentaries tell stories that bring big issues to light and the jury felt this was one of the biggest of them all, that poignantly conveys the struggle the world’s rhinos are having to remain alive for the next decade”.

The weekend was a winning one for the filmmakers as they also scooped an additional two awards – from the LA-based Glendale International Film Festival where they picked the Best Female Filmmakers award (a huge accomplishment given that over 130-films across fiction and documentary were in competition, which meant that STROOP was given the nod across all genres). And – also in LA – from the city’s premiere film festival, LA Femme, which supports women producers from around the world, De Bod and Scott were awarded the Special Documentary of Focus Award.

The previous weekend, the film received another nod in the form of Best Documentary award at the San Pedro International Film Festival, also held in Los Angeles, and last month, STROOP was handed the 2018 Green Tenacity Award by the judges of the San Francisco Green Film Festival.

STROOP, best documentary award at San Diego Film Festival
© San Diego International Film Festival

In recognition of the impact the South African film is having in California, the California Legislature as well as the State Senator have sent the filmmakers certificates of recognition from the State of California for outstanding achievements in the cinematic arts, thanking the South Africans for their work in revealing the rhino crisis to the world and contributing to the arts and the Californian community.

Says STROOP producer and presenter de Bod: “Winning these awards has opened up new opportunities to get the film seen around the globe.

“Film festival directors and distributors are contacting us directly because of the buzz around the documentary and to get something this hard-hitting and shocking in front of as many audiences as possible is of course vital for everyone who is concerned about the ongoing slaughter of our dwindling rhino population.”

Adds director Scott: “I do find it incredible and ironic that the state of California is recognising the film in such a huge way, because many times during filming, we were told to put Americans in the film to give relevance for the international audience. But this has connected with Americans precisely because it’s about ordinary South Africans doing extraordinary things for our planet.

“I’m so glad we stuck with keeping the story about our heroes on the ground! These awards recognise their work.”

Film poster for STROOP – Journey into the Rhino Horn War
STROOP – Journey into the Rhino Horn War tells the shocking and touching story of the ongoing poaching of rhino and the trade in its coveted horn.

In addition to the slew of awards the film has won, STROOP has been invited to screen at no less than 15 official film festivals, and this number is growing daily as it receives worldwide attention and acclamation.

STROOP – Journey into the Rhino Horn War tells the shocking and touching story of the ongoing poaching of rhino and the trade in its coveted horn. In an exclusive first, de Bod and Scott filmed special ranger units inside the Kruger National Park and at the home of the white rhino, the Hluhluwe iMfolozi Park. The pair also travelled undercover to the dangerous back rooms of wildlife traffickers and dealers in China and Vietnam and the result is a powerful, hard-hitting and incredibly moving documentary that will challenge and shock viewers.

STROOP – Journey into the Rhino Horn War will premiere in South Africa later this year.

Awards for STROOP – Journey into the Rhino Horn War to date:

• 2018 Green Tenacity Award given by the San Francisco Green Film Festival
• Best Documentary at the San Pedro International Film Festival
• Best Female Filmmakers at the Glendale International Film Festival
• Best Documentary at the San Diego International Film Festival
• Special Documentary of Focus at the LA Femme International Film Festival

Watch the trailer for STROOP – Journey into the Rhino Horn War from the Green Film Festival:

phpBB [video]

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Dindingwe

Post by Dindingwe »

Great news ! Let's hope it will raise awareness on the issue worldwide. But it will not deter greedy mafias...

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Awareness is extremely important though :yes: If we all stick together it is more difficult for the criminal minds to be able to do their things secretly.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

SA rhino pic wins big at Wildlife Photographer of the Year competition

Citizen reporter

Nandi and Storm, are warmed by infrared lamps, as they guzzle the milk that carer Axel Tarifa has prepared for their 2am feed. Picture: Susan Scott
The film director believes the photo powerfully sums up the rhino poaching crisis, especially as they are now dependent on humans to live.

The world’s top photographic competition, the Wildlife Photographer of the Year Competition held annually in London, announced this year’s winners at a gala event which took place in the city’s Natural History Museum.

Submissions for the competition are made by photographers from around the world, with only 100 images out of the 45 000 entries submitted making the final selection.

South African film director Susan Scott was a recipient of one of those 100 awards for her image of two black rhino calves orphaned by rhino poaching in KwaZulu-Natal.

Scott took the photograph when she was filming at an undisclosed orphanage for her film Stroop – Journey into the Rhino Horn War.

The documentary, four years in the making, was recently screened in the US to critical acclaim, winning awards at major film festivals such as the San Francisco Green Film Festival and the San Diego International Film Festival.

The film won an additional three awards last week at festivals in LA – the film capital of the world.

A rhino mutilated for its horn. Picture: Susan Scott

“While filming Stroop I often found myself in these incredible situations and I always felt so privileged to be there documenting it for the film. So I often switched the camera off video and would quickly click one or two stills of the moment,” said Scott.

“A film powerfully transports us into that world and that is what Stroop does, but an image is something special; it’s that moment frozen, always there for us to absorb the power of it.

“When I followed Axel in to feed the black rhinos, I knew it was pitch black and that I could not light with a flash or a handheld light due to the strict conditions they had set up to reduce stress on the animals.

“So when he walked to where they had been sleeping under the lights to feed them, I was struck by how beautiful the moment looked and of course the black forms in the red light signified so much. The red is unfortunately the colour of where they came from – red blood from the deaths of their mothers – and black for their name, black rhinos.

“It very powerfully sums up the rhino poaching crisis, especially as they are now dependent on humans to live. So capturing this moment in the small space of time was difficult due to having to capture it handheld on a grainy ISO, but I think it all adds to the feel of that moment.

“Our human eye captures so much more than what a photograph can, in terms of light range, but this is exactly how that moment looked and I couldn’t even see Axel’s facial expression but I knew he was tired and that the babies were also tired and sleepy.”

https://citizen.co.za/news/south-africa ... mpetition/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Hurry: STROOP rhino documentary – special screenings in SA, limited tickets available

Posted: November 12, 2018

After a successful roadshow at international indie film festivals, multiple award-winning documentary ‘STROOP – Journey into the rhino horn war’ will be screened at two South African cinemas in the coming weeks. The screenings will include Q&A with the filmmakers. We urge that you book as soon as possible, to avoid disappointment.

SCREENING DATES:

• Sunday 25th November at 2pm: PRETORIA – Nu Metro Menlyn. Ticket price: R110

• Sunday 2nd December at 2pm: CAPE TOWN – Nu Metro Cinema, V&A. Ticket price: R110

BUY YOUR TICKETS HERE: https://www.webtickets.co.za/event.aspx ... 1485267823

Susan and Bonné will be at both screenings, for Q&A afterwards.

late-night feed © Susan Scott

The intrepid filmmakers Susan Scott and Bonné de Bod are self-financing the local screenings for the public after no local cinema distributor wanted the film for nationwide release! This is pretty ironic, considering the incredible support from the South African public over the four-year period it took to make this groundbreaking documentary. And after winning 10 international awards the documentary has generated huge interest from overseas distributors and broadcasters, guaranteeing that STROOP will be popular internationally.

“We are initially only releasing the documentary for screenings in Pretoria and Cape Town, and will follow that up with further screenings if the demand is there,” said Bonné de Bod.

“We are funding these screenings out of our own pockets, so we have to take things as they come,” added Susan Scott.

Pre-Order of Digital Downloads:

“Many supporters purchased a pre-order of a digital download of the film which helped us so much! This was a completely independent film and without the support from the public, the rhino story would not be out there. The digital download will be available after the limited theatrical run in early December, emails will go out with a link for those who bought. All those who helped us make the film by pre-ordering digital downloads will of course have their name in the end credits of the film.”

The documentary has won numerous awards overseas

STROOP includes footage from the killing fields of Kruger National Park, where Bonné and Susan were given privileged access to sensitive scenes, to the courtrooms in bush frontier towns and dingy backrooms of Vietnamese wildlife traffickers, where the intrepid pair endured life-threatening encounters with some of this planet’s most evil individuals.

“We are making this film so that no one can say they didn’t know. I’ve had many ups and downs over this four year period investigating this ‘world of greed’. The most difficult part is witnessing what we, as humans, are capable of”, says Bonné.

“An interview we did with a rhino horn user in Vietnam took weeks of searching, investigating and thousands of dollars and miles to get. It was obviously one of the most important interviews we had ever done, but it was a very emotional moment. Not in that either of us was upset outwardly, but that we had to hold back so much of what we had seen on the battleground. Here we were in a beautiful house in an upmarket area of Hanoi drinking tea, waiting until the family were comfortable enough for us to do the interview. I wanted to scream with frustration at the normality of all of this. It was a crazy, surreal moment and I had to blank out all the pain, the immense suffering we had seen”, says Susan.

Simon Espley, Africa Geographic CEO: “This film will change things. I have been involved as a sounding board to these two special humans from the early days and seen them put their lives on hold during this incredible four-year journey of discovery and creation. This documentary is the most informative, most edgy, most evocative behind-the-scenes expose I have seen. Everyone who cares about the future of Africa’s wildlife needs to see this ground-breaking film.”

Interesting background notes from STROOP:

1. Both filmmakers, Bonné de Bod and Susan Scott, started production on the film nearly four years ago in September 2014. What they thought would be a six-month project turned into a four-year odyssey. During this, they left their jobs (Bonné as a wildlife presenter with the national broadcaster in South Africa and Susan as a natural history film editor for National Geographic Explorers-in-Residence), cashed in their investments (Susan even sold her home) and even moved in with their mothers!

2. Filming undercover in Asia was dangerous for both filmmakers. They had applied for filming permits but China, Laos and Vietnam are on Reporters Sans Frontiers “freedom of the press” blacklist, so Bonné and Susan joke that they are still waiting for their permits! The reality is that if they had received their filming permits, they would’ve had to have had all their interviews sanctioned by the communist governments… they would’ve also had to have a detailed itinerary of exactly where they were filming, which is impossible to schedule in investigative filmmaking.

And of course, the duo would’ve been assigned a “government minder” from central government to make sure they were not tarnishing the image of the country. There is a reason Vietnam is ranked 175 out of 180 countries in the world for press freedom. Journalists are routinely jailed there, which meant that Susan and Bonné had to go in undercover as tourists. If they were caught, there would be severe consequences.

Susan: “We got away with so much because we are women. I am convinced of that. I had never done anything like this before. I am a rules freak. If permits are needed, I will only film with permits. So this made me super uncomfortable, but we went to Asia after we had seen some pretty horrific stuff in South Africa. So dammit, if they weren’t allowing us access to film the usage of rhino horn in Asia, I threw my standards out the window. No-one is playing by the rules in this ugly war on animals. So why should the filmmakers?”

3. The filmmakers met and interviewed many people during their course of filming. Among them, famous people and royalty. They interviewed Dr Jane Goodall, filmed Prince Harry meeting with two of their characters in the film – a brave ranger and his K9 dog and they also met Prince Albert of Monaco who awards rangers in Africa for work done in combating poaching.

Bonné: “It’s not every day you get to meet one of the world’s biggest environmental idols, so you can say that it was a pretty big occasion for me! I think I was a bit starstruck. Growing up, I admired what Dr Goodall was doing, but it was only when I became older that I realised that what she did was groundbreaking – believing animals have personalities during an age where science frowned upon such views. She inspired me to want to play a part in people appreciating the beauty of nature and wildlife and influence them against destroying it.”

4. Were the filmmakers ever scared?

Susan: “Sure we were! We flew in countless helicopters just above tree line, accompanied the police on raids and arrests, walked with rangers patrolling in the heart of the African wilderness… but the scariest moments for me were twofold.

Firstly, I was always incredibly nervous when I knew Bonné was going to ask a difficult question from someone who might get upset and make things unpleasant. We were always on their turf, sometimes in someone’s home in Vietnam or on a farm out in the middle of nowhere. And the other thing that scared me was the pollution in Hanoi. It was truly unbelievable. I had watched Chai Jing’s ‘Under the Dome’ and so I thought I knew what air pollution was like. No, I had no idea. You cannot understand until you have been in it.

If you’ve ever been in a parking garage filled with exhaust fumes and you run outside holding your breath while your lungs are clawing inside to open up to breathe the fresh air outside… well… there is no fresh air outside. Everywhere in Hanoi is that parking garage filled with exhaust fumes. Bonné and I had constant headaches and I developed a deep cough which can you believe is still with me! When I returned to South Africa I got bronchitis twice and had to be hospitalised and receive intensive physio because it was so severe. And we were only there for a few weeks, so can you imagine the fear of living in that. It was frightening.”

Bonné: “And that’s of course why rhino horn usage has gone up. Cancer has skyrocketed, especially lung and liver cancer from air and water pollution. We highlight that in the film of course, but 200 Vietnamese die of cancer every day and double that number get given the news they have cancer… every single day. So yes, it was surreal getting a taste of how rapid development comes at the cost of human health.

And the scariest moment for me, and I mean I could literally feel my heart in my throat, was when we got into the car of an illegal wildlife trafficker. The car itself told the story of a rich lifestyle, generated by the illegal trade in the most valuable commodity on Earth… rhino horn. Here we were, not knowing where they were taking us and who we were about to meet. I was covered in hidden cameras, with one even strapped to my body which I wouldn’t be able to get off quickly. In my mind there were only two options… we were either about to capture on camera what we came thousands of miles to film, or they would search us when we arrived, and we would get chopped up and thrown into the Mekong river. I guess we all know the outcome now, thankfully!”

Watch the trailer for STROOP – Journey into the rhino horn war:

phpBB [video]

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Here’s how YOU can make a difference for RHINOS

Posted on 26 November, 2018 by Simon Espley in Conservation, Events, Multimedia, People, Poaching, Wildlife

Karen Trendler feeds 4-day-old rhino calf © Susan Scott

I know I am not alone when I say that I often feel depressed and helpless about the state of rhino poaching – brought home to me by those awful images and videos of brutality, of suffering. These Jurassic unicorns are being driven to extinction by wealthy and politically-connected wildlife traffickers that also drive the illegal trafficking of women and children, weapons and drugs.

What can you and I do about the seemingly unstoppable tide of slaughter, underpinned by an insatiable appetite amongst some Asian people for every imaginable form of wildlife product, and sponsored by corruption at the highest levels?

Surely our governments need to protect our wildlife ‘assets’, if for no other reason than to generate sustainable tourism revenue for their people? Why do those in power on all sides of this planet not shut down known and obviously porous trade routes? Why do convicted poachers and traffickers walk free so soon and how come cases involving high profile traffickers are so easily delayed and then dismissed? Do those in power even discuss wildlife trafficking when they get into a huddle with their Asian counterparts? Why is CITES so ineffective?

Sometimes my head spins, and I want to hide from it all.

But then…

Bonné de Bod with the anti-poaching patrol in Kruger National Park © Susan Scott

Four years ago, two ladies decided to find out what was going on, to tell the story about the rhino poaching war. THAT was the beginning of change. Because you have to know your enemy before you can engage and vanquish.

And now STROOP journey into the rhino horn war has finally arrived. I was lucky enough to be invited to an early local screening of this amazing journey into the belly of the beast.

STROOP audience during the premier screening in Johannesburg

STROOP is a sensationally revealing story of what is really going on – the story behind those brutal images we all hate seeing. There is some tough-to-stomach footage of the cruelty and the suffering, but mostly this documentary is about discovering the truth. Importantly, many of the questions I ask above are answered in this documentary. The issue is what will we, as wildlife activists, do with this information?

Bonné de Bod and Susan Scott risked life and limb to unearth that truth, and the coverage of their covert fact-finding missions in Asia makes for chilling viewing. And other heroes also show their mettle – just ordinary people doing extraordinarily things for the greater good.

Dr. Johan Marais. Bonné de Bod and Dr. Gerhard Steenkamp with the rhino ‘Hope’, who survived poaching © Susan Scott

From wildlife activists to government prosecutors and vets to game rangers – so many people doing brave things every day to stem the tide. STROOP is also about them.

One baby rhino orphan caregiver provides narration and interviews that are an important part of the STROOP message. I met this amazing young hero a few months before the rhino orphanage at which he worked was attacked. So pure-of-heart, such an inspiration.

Susan Scott attaches undercover cameras to Bonné de Bod in Vietnam © STROOP

These amazing people continue to do their utmost to keep rhinos safe from the evil ones. Now you and I need to step up and play our roles.

This award-winning, brave documentary inspired me to step away from my personal pity-party about the horrors of the rhino poaching war. To focus on the small steps that I can take in the long, long journey to victory. Yes, victory.

Bonné de Bod with a doctor in Vietnam © Susan Scott

So, what can you and I do about this crazy situation?

First, WATCH THIS DOCUMENTARY – make sure that you understand your enemy and the war that we are all fighting. Why? Because unless you know your enemy and understand the situation you will probably never function effectively as a wildlife activist.

Then, start engaging with those most able to apply pressure on governments to shut down this evil industry. That includes major companies and politicians. If you live outside of Africa, remember that your politicians and companies can influence ours. Our collective governments CAN shut this down – they have the resources. They just need the incentive and the political will. Right now, they are not prioritising rhinos (or any wildlife), so we need to recalibrate their priorities. They need to understand that rhino poaching is symptomatic of a corrupt system that WILL jeopardise the future for their electorate. Because if we don’t remove these evil criminals from our society, they will move on from rhinos to steal everything else. Everything.

Remember, focus on fact, elevate yourself above the emotional venting and fakery that dominates our screens. Use emotion to drive you, not distract you. Prioritise what you choose to share via your social media networks (so that they take you seriously) – just like you expect governments to prioritise wildlife and ecosystem conservation. Harness your emotions, know your facts, and engage one-to-one with your chosen companies and governments. Be patient, be strong, be effective wildlife activists.

Cancer patient using rhino horn in Vietnam © Susan Scott

Update on public screenings of STROOP in South Africa

The first two screenings (Cape Town and Pretoria) were sold out, and there are now three more screenings – Durban, Johannesburg and Cape Town (second screening).

BOOK YOUR TICKETS HERE: https://www.webtickets.co.za/event.aspx ... 1485267823

Bonné de Bod interviewing Dr. Jane Goodall © Susan Scott

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Award-winning STROOP now available via download

Posted on 13 February, 2019 by STROOP in Events, Multimedia, News, People, Videos, Wildlife and the News Desk post series.

The first sold-out screening in White River at the Casterbridge Cinema © STROOP

Press release by STROOP

Acclaimed South African documentary, STROOP – Journey into the Rhino Horn War, continues its winning streak on the film festival circuit internationally. The film had its world premiere at the San Francisco Green Film Festival last September and picked up a further 10 awards during the rest of 2018, among them ‘Best Documentary’ at the prestigious San Diego International Film Festival. The start of 2019 sees STROOP winning four further awards at the Hollywood International Independent Documentary Awards with the ceremony taking place at the Raleigh Studios in Hollywood on March 23. This week also sees an announcement from The Impact DOC Awards on the film winning the Award of Excellence for a Feature Documentary. The competition states that the exceptional storyline made it worthy of a further Special Mention from the Competition Jury. The Impact DOC Awards are given out annually to films making a difference in the critical issues of our times.

In more exciting news, STROOP has been officially selected for The Earth Day Film Festival, the Green Mountain Film Festival, the Colorado Environmental Film Festival, and the Wellington Film Festival in New Zealand (where it has also been nominated for Best Documentary). The film also screened on opening night at the Guwahati International Documentary Film Festival in India at the end of January. In a further nod to honour the film, STROOP is one of only five documentaries invited to have its Italian premiere at the Riviera International Film Festival in May. The international jury, which determines the prize for best documentary feature film out of the five in competition, will comprise various film, culture and art personalities and will be announced at press conference in Milan next month. As part of this achievement, STROOP will be translated by the festival into Italian, furthering the exposure of South Africa’s rhino poaching crisis around the world.

The film has now been officially selected for 20 international film festivals and has collected a total of 15 awards.

STROOP – Journey into the Rhino Horn War tells the shocking and touching story of the ongoing poaching of rhino and the trade in its coveted horn.

Despite this phenomenal worldwide critical acclaim however, STROOP has been unable to get local cinema distribution, prompting the Associated Press to report on the issue which was picked up by the New York Times, the Washington Post and other leading newspapers around the globe. Undeterred, the filmmakers began self-distributing STROOP by hiring cinemas around the country and by promoting the local screenings on social media and in local press. The film subsequently played to packed cinema houses.

“It was quite incredible! We kept being told that no-one would come to see a documentary in our cinemas, let alone a documentary about rhino poaching, but the support has been overwhelming!”, says Bonné de Bod, one of the filmmakers of STROOP.

“We thought we’d put on one screening in Joburg and one in Cape Town,” adds STROOP director Susan Scott, “and both of them sold out pretty quickly… Cape Town in under 48-hours!

“So once we had a screening paid for by the public, we could then hire another cinema and then another one and then that’s how come we have been able to take it around the country to Joburg, Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth, Pretoria, Hoedspruit, White River and now Bloemfontein – this coming weekend – for our last cinema screening.”

AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD NOW

The international support of the film continues, with Amazon, iTunes, Google Play and Vimeo on Demand on their digital platforms this week. A delighted de Bod says, “this is our first film, and everyone tells us how the film industry is different to two years ago, to five years ago, to ten years ago… but that doesn’t frighten us!

“Because all of this is new to us, we’ve been pushing these new boundaries to get our important story seen around the world. The fact that these big tech giant studios believe in the film and will be making it available for anyone to see at any time, is exactly what we set out to do when we started making STROOP all those years ago! Now it really can be seen by millions… getting our rhino story everywhere!”

The film recently screened in Hong Kong on the public broadcaster RTHK, and also formed part of a judiciary workshop on tackling wildlife trafficking through the port of Hong Kong. Locally, STROOP is also having an effect in the enforcement sector, after having being screened to the South African Police Service trainees undergoing specialised training on wildlife crime.

Keeping their sights firmly on local awareness, Scott and de Bod have started on their community and school roll-out of the film, working with Africa Geographic and the Jane Goodall Roots and Shoots Foundation to get the film seen in areas without access to cinemas.

The film is also releasing digitally through its website: www.stroop-film.com

Return to “Rhino Management and Poaching”