Site Admin

Re: Offroad and 4x4 Related Chat

Post by RogerFraser » Thu May 09, 2019 6:46 am

okie wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:56 pm
Richprins wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:44 pm
Roger had a Disco, okie... O-/
How old , how many previous owners . How many of those previous owners bothered to have it serviced . How much did those previous owners know about fixing vehicles ,or maybe even pumping up a flat wheel =O:
Back-yard mechanics :X: :X: :X:
It was an older Disco 2 model .Service was unknown .Lots of fun as a project car always being fixed -sometimes on the roadside -but never a trip without a worry . O**

My 2c is that if you are buying the car new or even used with a full service & warranty for the entire period that you intent keeping it then no problem with a new vehicle (even a new disco) with all the bells and whistles .Most if not all of the newer vehicles are not designed like the ones 20 years ago that were built to last they are made for the regulations in Europe and Asia where they are expected to be scrapped within a decade sometimes half . The only thing I don't like on the new disco is what were they thinking with the back as it seems lopsided -O- .I haven't looked much at the sport ,to me it seems it is basically a range rover with a disco badge -O-

okie

Post by okie » Thu May 09, 2019 8:16 am

Roger \O You are quite correct \O Today's vehicles are not designed for " fixing " , more " replacement ".
In other words , instead of repairing and fixing faulty parts , they are merely replaced . But , electronics are playing a huge part in it , and fault-finding is done by computer , and not be visual or actual inspection . And sometimes this can become quite stupid and I have had arguments with vehicle technicians about that . Some time ago , I had a problem with one of my Landy's not running correctly , with the engine missing , and computer showed absolutely nothing wrong , however , when we took it out on the road , then it became apparent every time . Eventually , the problem was resolved by a mechanic who had been working on LR's for many years , and he fixed it within a few minutes .

Yes , indeed , the Disco Sport is actually an upgraded Freelander , which it replaced , fully All-time 4 x 4 , with lots of bells and whistles . It is very much like the RR Evoque , just bigger in size , but smaller , than the Discovery ;-) Cheaper too ...
But , I am very impressed with it , and have decided to go ahead with acquiring a Sport :-)

Oh , and I am keeping the Defender - sort of moth-balling it . It is in absolute tip-top condition , and the value can only increase , especially with the new Defender to be released next year , which seem also to resemble the current Disco's and Range Rovers .
You know , and acquaintance , living In Springbok , Northern Cape , collects old Landy's , and has had an offer for an old Series 1 , that was originally used as a fire-engine by O'Kiep municipality . Price offered R1.5 million ;-)
A failure is someone who did not try one more time

okie

Post by okie » Wed May 15, 2019 5:56 pm

okie wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:03 pm
Alf wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 7:52 pm
These fancy discovery vehicles have air suspensions. If they give problems they will cost you an arm an a 2 legs
I saw a very very new Mercedes Benz this morning with steam pouring out of the engine hood .

And a Boeing crashed the other day , although flying is supposed to be safer than driving .

One of my previous business partners bought a brand new BMW , and after six months he wanted to put a match to it /ou/
Hmmm... German technology , hey :X:

Oh , and my wheelbarrow keeps on getting flat wheels =O:

A bit of advice here -- never denigrate a man's choice of dog , horse , wife , or car ;-)
Hmmm.... anybody remember this case some years ago ;-) Hmphh .... give a vehicle a bad name 0*\
Its about an Isuzu bakkie on which the chassis bent badly out of shape after only 29 000 kilometres :-(
......... The respondent, Mr Jaco van der Merwe of Pretoria, was the owner of an Isuzu KB four-wheel drive bakkie which was manufactured by Delta and which he purchased new from a Delta dealer. According to him this bakkie developed a bent chassis while being driven along the gravel road between Ruacana and Kunene River Lodge, Namibia in April 2001 when he was on holiday with his wife and small children. The vehicle was then a year old and had done 29 000 kilometres. He considered that the problem with the chassis was the result of a manufacturer’s defect. He subsequently sent the vehicle to the South African Bureau of Standards who referred it to a firm called Eurotype Test Centre (Pty) Ltd for examination. They expressed the opinion that the chassis had bent because of inconsistency in its steel structure .........

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins » Wed May 15, 2019 5:59 pm

:shock:
Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

okie

Post by okie » Wed May 15, 2019 6:22 pm

Yeahh ... the chassis was so bent , it was not only a 4 wheel drive bakkie , but also a 4 wheel track bakkie , and you could keep an eye on the bakkie's load without turning your head =O: =O: =O: .
Its called a double-crab bakkie , or " Quattro " , for short . A true off-road vehicle , it could never drive straight on any paved roads -- permanently off-road drive O**

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Wed May 15, 2019 6:54 pm

South Africa is the first place where I have seen an "Isuzu" and I have been around :yes: O**
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

okie

Post by okie » Wed May 15, 2019 6:58 pm

That's because they were taken off-road everywhere else =O:

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Wed May 15, 2019 7:01 pm

lol
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins » Wed May 22, 2019 5:36 pm

Very informative article on the Unimog here:

https://lowvelder.co.za/482217/unimog-f ... al-family/

^Q^
Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

okie

Post by okie » Wed May 22, 2019 6:46 pm

Those vehicles are really awesome \O

Return to “Dongas & Dust”