Offroad and 4x4 Related Chat

Africa Wild's 4x4 & overlanding forum
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Offroad and 4x4 Related Chat

Post by Richprins » Wed May 22, 2019 7:07 pm

They were the small Samils, right, and the Buffels?
Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

RobertT

Post by RobertT » Wed May 22, 2019 7:12 pm

Think Samil 20 was based on unimog design crossed with a Bedford. Couldn’t get Unimogs because of embargo. I can’t see any resemblance with buffel and Unimog.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins » Thu May 23, 2019 8:02 am

Ok wasn't Buffel on the samil chassis? :-0
Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

okie

Post by okie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:50 am

Well , it has now already been just over a month since I took delivery of my new Land Rover Disco Sport , and I must say I am quite impressed with performance so far . Land Rover SA offers a free Land Rover Experience when you buy a vehicle from them , during which they show you all the ins and outs of the vehicle , including making you familiar with all its capabilities , especially off-road . It is a full day-long affair and you drive around over all types of obstacles , great fun , and at the end of the day , people are really quite comfortable in making correct decisions and using correct techniques in such instances . I am still trying to convince Okiedokie to come when I go . Teach her also how to drive off-road :-)
A failure is someone who did not try one more time

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:04 pm

X#X

So far so good! --00--

okie

Post by okie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:52 pm

Yup RP \O .

I must say , it is a very very far cry of from the old 1956 model Series 1 that I had way back in 1960 to 1964 lol
Boy , we went all over with that thing ; it was loud and noisy , broke down , did our own road-fixes , and it was just great fun to have for going anywhere . And heavy on petrol too , like all vehicles those days .
But , it became impractical to have , especially as a normal use vehicle , so I then got a Volksie Beetle , and for the next 30 years or so , drove whatever one would use for family , and also what the company provided .
But , you know , those old experiences stay with you , and eventually , when kids were grown up , etc , and being able to afford it easier , I gave my Mercedes Benz 260 to my son-in-law ( with 70 000 km on the clock ) , and in 2002 again bought a Landy Defender and have been driving Defenders as my first vehicle ever since then .
But , the LR Defender is not a soft ride at all , and my old bones have difficulty in absorbing the rough roads in it ( same with Okiedokie ) .

In the new Sport , servicing intervals at 34 000 kilometres only as against 20000 in my Defender ( which I still have ) , and fuel economy is great too , at about 7 liter per 100 kilometres , as against the 12 liters / 100 in the Defender . This would work out at about R3000 saving on fuel on a trip going to Kruger and back .
And of course , the much more comfortable drive \O

RobertT

Post by RobertT » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:34 pm

They are good vehicles, but you are going to get ragged about it. We rag an army buddie all time about his.

They do have some good points though

Spares are readily available through Africa as there is normally one stuck on side of road so 2nd hand midnight spares.
They let you know who your true friends when you ask for a tow.
My Friends landie had the best economy in Angola out of all of us as he got towed most of the way.

O** O**

okie

Post by okie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:31 pm

Yah , I've seen a LR graveyard in Keetmanshoop \O

That old Series 1 used to break the rear left side-shaft - it tended to over-torque over time , and the bloody then just twisted off 0=
In those days , at Sodwana bay , in order to get to the beach , you had to all along the river on a little track through the bush , and then you had to cross over the lagoon to get onto the beach . But , on one of these lagoon crossings , the @#$ @#$ side-shaft broke , and the Landy was stuck right there in the middle of the f @#$ @#$ water . But , we were a gang of 12 young guys , and quickly pushed it out onto the beach .
Then someone told us of someone else , somewhere about 200 miles away , where we could probably get a sideshaft . who couple of lifts , plus ,
Got a lift from another guy , who took us all the way to Magut and back again . We were in luck , and were able to back to Sodwana about 11 o'clock that night , and next morning , after fitting the " new" sideshaft , were still able to drive along the beach to Nine-mile reef , for day's skin-diving lol .
You never give up on your Landy -- they can go forever ^0^

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:41 pm

lol lol
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

okie

Post by okie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:42 pm

RobertT wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:34 pm
They are good vehicles, but you are going to get ragged about it.
Oh , I have been ragged a lot about my Landy's over the years , but mostly from guys who cannot afford to buy one O**

Return to “Dongas & Dust”