What road to take to KTP from Gauteng

Discussions on KTP of a General Nature
Bushveld Jock

What road to take to KTP from Gauteng

Post by Bushveld Jock »

We've been traveling since 2004 on the same road to KTP with here and there a change. I've looked at many other options and would like to hear your opinion based on recent road conditions on the options listed below:

1. N12 to Potchefstroom, Klerksdorp- Ottosdal - Delaryville - N14 Vryburg - Kuruman - Upington - R360 Askham - Twee Rivieren (new route)

2. Carletonville / Krugersdorp to N14 - Coligny- Sannieshof - Delaryville - Vryburg - Kuruman - Upington - R360 Askham - Twee Rivieren (old route)

3. N4 from Pretoria to Rustenburg - Groot Marico- Zeerust -N18 to Mafikeng - Vryburg - N14 to Kuruman - Upington - R360 Askham - Twee Rivieren (route from Pretoria and lots of toll)

4. Any of the above 3 options to Kuruman - R31 to Hotazel - Van Zylsrus -gravel road of 150 km (R31) to Askham - R360 from Askham to Twee Rivieren

5. Any of the above 3 options to Kuruman - R31 to Hotazel - Van Zylsrus - Middelputs borderpost - Botswana tar road to Gemsbok / Bokspits border post - R360 from Bokspits to Twee Rivieren

6. N4 from Pretoria to Rustenburg - Groot Marico- Zeerust -Lobatse - A2 Botswana to Kanye - Sekoma - Khakhea - Werda - Tshabong - Middelputs - Gemsbok / Bokspits border post - R360 from Bokspits to Twee Rivieren

I am thinking of driving option 6 end of November and might not exit Botswana to RSA at Bokspits. If I reach Two Rivers do I still need to stamp my passport or can I stay in the park and go back home through Botswana again without any border checks. The reason I am asking is because if it is not required I do not need to take out a multi entry permit on my vehicle.

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
Toko

Re: What road to take to KTP from Gauteng

Post by Toko »

Kuruman - R31 to Hotazel - Van Zylsrus -gravel road of 150 km (R31) to Askham - R360 from Askham to Twee Rivieren
Have done that, gravel road is now less. From Van Zylsrus to Askham the road was being tarred in 2011. The whole road should be tarred by now. -O-
Nice scenery for large part along the river bed :-)

Bushveld Jock

Re: What road to take to KTP from Gauteng

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Hi Toko,

I did that option in 2012. The road is tarred a few km up the Van Zylsrus, but thereafter gravel that makes the average speed towing a off-road caravan to 60 - 70 km/h. I won't convince SO to do that again, but thought of the Botswana tar road to Bokspits. :-?

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016

Return to “KTP Information and General Discussion Forum”