Rooiputs

Discussions on KTP of a General Nature
Bushveld Jock

Rooiputs

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Rooiputs Waterhole:

Rooiputs is the 4th water hole from Twee-rivieren camp along the Nossob river bed if counting in the small water hole near Twee Rivieren.

How to get there: 23.3 km north from Twee-Rivieren camp

What is the meaning of the name: The well is 49 meter and dug in almost pure red brick (fossilized stone). The name derives from the Afrikaans words: rooi = red and put = well.

Reasons to visit Rooiputs waterhole:

It is possible to overnight very close to the waterhole either camping or lodge accommodation. The turnoff to the Rooiputs Camping site on Botswana side of the Nossob riverbed is on the opposite side of water hole and before reaching the campsite you will get another turnoff to the new Rooiputs Lodge.

Rooiputs campsite consists of 6 sites; each site with an A frame and pit toilets and showers that are shared between two campsites. Camp sites are unfenced with the results visitors will frequently find animals walking through the camping area. There is no park official on duty as in the case of other wilderness camps on the South African side and vistors need to be alert of the potential danger.

Camping near Rooiputs means that you will be able to observe most of the animals found in KTP. You may miss out on giraffe and kudu that is either not found along the Nossob riverbed or further north.

Welcome to Rooiputs:

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Flavour of the Month - October 2014 - Rooiputs

Post by Mel »

Closest camps:

Twee Rivieren: 24 km
Kieliekrankie: 50 km
Nossob: 142 km

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

You will find two waterholes near Rooiputs. One is at the lodge and the other one along the road in the Nossob river bed.

Water hole at lodge (photo from Ta Shebube Facebook):

Water hole in Nossob riverbed:

More Maps:

Last edited by Bushveld Jock on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Have they built the waterhole at the lodge or has it always been there for the joy of the campers? :-?

Wonder for how much longer the waterhole at the road will still exist... Geinab close to Grootkolk is dry. Urikaruus waterhole, also the one at the road is dry and only the one in the camp still working. Makes you wonder. O**

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Hi Mel,

I am not sure how long back this water hole was completed, but it is not visible from the road or camp sites. We could not see it in Dec 2013, but again we did not visit the lodge. I am hoping the old water hole will still attract animals, but if it runs dry and the lodge one is full then yes we will sadly miss out. :-(

During December a few predators came to drink, but no large herds were spotted.

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

During the upgrading of the road from Samevloeing to Rooiputs the water hole was restricted to construction workers for nearly 3 years from 2009 to 2011. Late 2011 it was possible to drive on the Botswana side to Rooiputs and after July 2012 the road was opened again and the popularity of the camp site increased with the real purists that do not require much more than a tree to camp under. I hope there are more than only 2 Wildies that have stopped at Rooiputs for [O] and will quickly see the new flavour of the month. Rooiputs can be renamed as the place of the lion, but also lots of other sightings that I have seen there. Its also one of the waterholes I visit first after reaching KTP after a long days drive. Most of the time one can be lucky with good sighting along this 25 km stretch of road from Twee-Rivieren.

Let me take the lead and start backwards from Dec 2013 in the journey to show you more of Rooiputs area.

Springbok gathering under a tree during a hot summer afternoon:

Lioness sleeping closer to the waterhole.

Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Magic place.

In two days we saw:

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

You will also find that a waterhole is not only there for survival of animals, but often lead to their death. A few days before our arrival this poor Red hartebeest was not that lucky.

We often see eagles near Rooiputs. In 2011 we found a young martial on the ground near Rooiputs and below is a black chested snake eagle seen in 2013:

Juv, Martial eagle seen in 2011:

Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Bushveld Jock wrote:Hi Peter,

Thanks for joining in and sharing your great pics. ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ Stunning shot of the lion king. \O I've not seen a brown hyaena that far south before, Did you take the shots in 2013? Shame to spotted hyaena looks like it got hurt on the side or did it just mess with its food.

Hope you have a few more to show. ;-)
Thank you

Yes, the morning of the 17th Dec at 05h44.

I think the Hyena was damaged. Was the fourth damaged predator we saw on the same day! Actually, the fifth if you count this guy's eye?

Or is it just the membrane/third eyelid?

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Shame poor guy. Hope its hunting skills are still good enough to catch prey.

We had a few interesting sighting near Rooiputs last year like the porcupine and Cape foxes and cheetah on the last day.

Return to “KTP Information and General Discussion Forum”