KTP - Bitterpan Wilderness Camp

Information and Discussion on the Camps of KTP
Mel
Global Moderator

KTP - Bitterpan Wilderness Camp

Post by Mel »

Forget what I said about not going to Bitterpan in my life - I don't care what I said yesterday. =O:

So, for next year, we're toying with the idea of staying at Bitterpan for at least one night.
The SO is a bit apprehensive of it as he's afraid that the dune tracks might harm his back.
Hence, the first question: How do you rate the way in and out of Bitterpan compared to
that of Gharagab, regarding corrugations and mastering the dunes.

From what I gather, there are three fridges in the communal kitchen. Is that still valid or has one maybe broken down by now?

The descriptions for the unit says 'utensils'. What exactly can I expect to find in the unit?
And is it possible to boil some water there or will I have to go to the communal kitchen for that?

The SO says there is a private braai for each unit. Is that true?

I'm not particularly hostile when it comes to fellow travellers, but you never know what (or rather who) you get,
therefore I find the idea of being totally self-sufficient in the unit rather comfortable.

And finally (for now O** ) - which unit would you recommend as the best in terms of proximity / view on the waterhole?

Who are the camp attendants at Bitterpan? I gathered, the regular is a guy called Willem? And the other?

Some photos of the camp would be supertastic as well. O:V

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Toko

Re: KTP - Bitterpan Wilderness Camp

Post by Toko »

Don't know what it is like now, have been there some years ago.

Then the driving was more or less the same like the way out from Ghargab and there was only the communal braai area, the units did not have any kitchen or cooking or braaing facilities (all utensils provided in the communal kitchen!).

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Aha, no boiling water in the morning then before having been to the hairdresser's then. :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Toko

Post by Toko »

No =O: and the huts are very small (only enough space for the two beds) and close to the next unit ;-)

And the water was very salty, could not use it for coffee =O:

Duke

Post by Duke »

We have stayed there twice. There dunes in and out of Bitterpan do not compare to that last one out of Gharagab although you will be going up and down a lot more dunes.

The units are small and close to each other. You will hear the neighbours snore :-0

The communal braai area

Each unit now is fenced with a personal braai

Although not en suite, you have your own bathroom

The Communal Kithchen is well equipped, but the chest freezer has never worked. Two fridges with small freezer compartments. So two couples share a fridge/freezer unit.

Have not had any special sightings either time, but the isolated setting makes it special

Sunrise at Bitterpan

Toko

Post by Toko »

Each unit now is fenced with a personal braai
Do you have a table and chairs there?

Duke

Post by Duke »

Ony two Chairs

nan

Post by nan »

sorry to disturb... the dune in the first photo :-? is one to go to Gharagab :shock: O-/

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Thanks for posting some photos of the route, Duke. \O

So we got remote setting against hardly any privacy because you basically sit on top of each other. :twisted:

Duke

Post by Duke »

nan wrote:sorry to disturb... the dune in the first photo :-? is one to go to Gharagab :shock: O-/
Definitely road to Bitterpan nan.
Mel wrote:Thanks for posting some photos of the route, Duke. \O

So we got remote setting against hardly any privacy because you basically sit on top of each other. :twisted:
You got it =O: =O: =O: That is why we have been only twice in 9 trips to KTP and only one night each time. A different way to get from the Nossob to Aoub Side.

Return to “Camps of KTP”