The reasons for decline in tourism arrivals in SA

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
harrys

Re: The real reasons for decline in tourism arrivals in SA

Post by harrys »

Alf wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:36 pm Our country is like a circus O/
No sorry Alf, to run a circus takes brains, commitment and respect, something this goverment don't have :twisted:

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

:shock: :-( scary numbers and heard allot of people commenting today that there is real proof that the majority of crimes are no longer even getting reported to the police so the figures are not even a true reflection of actual crime in SA . O/ @#$

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Even the police confirm it, Roger \O Only the murders are correct because there is a corpse O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

What a shame that one of the MOST incredible countries on this planet is headed in the wrong direction. :-( :-( We, (USA) too, have many problems, but this topic is about SA.

I truly love South Africa for so many reasons - it is one of the most geographically rich countries, with its coastline and beaches, scrub deserts, mountains, and lush forests. The diversity of flora and fauna is truly astounding. But the cherry on the top, is its people - we have NEVER, in over 20 years of visiting once or twice a year, had a single negative encounter with any person, regardless of race, ethnicity, social status, whatever the category.

But we are beginning to rethink our visits. :-? What a tragic waste of riches if the ruling parties drive South Africa in a direction that makes foreign visitors rethink, and go elsewhere. :-( :-(

It is certainly on the verge of doing just that.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

ExFmem wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:44 am But we are beginning to rethink our visits. :-?
Same here :no:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

We all do!

I have tried some of the worst that can happen, so I know what I am talking about. The only thing good about it, is that I have become very careful. If I decide to go one of the things in my pocket will be pepper spray O** and I don't wait for the car door to lock by itself, I lock it before starting and certainly I never stop on the side of a road. Also leaving the car rental office I am looking all around in order to be sure that I am not being followed.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Top cops on the hunt for Graskop rapist
The spate of attacks on tourists have been strongly condemned by the MEC for economic development and tourism, Pat Ngomane.
September 14, 2019
Bridget Mpande

GRASKOP – The provincial SAPS have assigned a team of detectives, led by a senior police officer, to investigate the rape of a young female tourist from Israel. Lowvelder reported last week how, on September 1, she was attacked along with a couple who was touring with her by armed men at their place of accommodation. The couple was robbed.

Provincial SAPS spokesman, Brig Leonard Hlathi, said it was a disappointment to all South Africans. “Tourists will not come back or not come at all because they will fear that they will get raped. This will affect the economy negatively,” he said.

He said they were looking for four suspects and the police are busy with investigations.

“At this point we cannot reveal more information. If there is anyone who has information regarding the case, they should contact the police,” he said.

In a statement, MEC for economic development and tourism, Pat Ngomane said society cannot continue to tolerate such acts.

“Once these animals are caught and they will be caught, the law must deal with them harshly and they must rot in jail. They do not deserve to live among us,” he said.

“Such disgusting acts will chase away people from coming to our province. Tourists will end up thinking that we do not need them and this will affect our tourism industry and eventually the growth of the economy of the province. Enough is enough. Women deserve better,” added Ngomane.

• This week tourists from the Netherlands experienced ubuntu (humanity) from the local SAPS when their rental vehicle had a puncture between Dientjie and Graskop.

It happened at around 18:00 and the members stayed with them until they got assistance at 20:15. Linda Grimbeek, chief operating officer at Kruger Lowveld Chamber of Business and Tourism (KLCBT), said local SAPS members from Dientjie, Sgts Malele and Zwane, stopped to help them. She said they called Sgt Mashigo at Graskop SAPS to see whether they could help with suitable equipment, but there was no way to remove the wheel.

“The client then called the car hire firm, using Malele’s phone and they agreed to send a replacement vehicle from KMIA. Malele reached out to a person in the private sector tourism, with whom he had dealt before, to give him advice on how to proceed.

“The person spoke to the tourists, who assured him that they were relaxed and feeling very well looked after. The car hire company was contacted again to obtain details of the driver and they monitored the progress of the situation, with Mashigo passing on messages to the clients,” she said. Mashigo stayed on the roadside with the tourists to ensure their safety.

“This is exemplary and commendable action by members of the SAPS, and on behalf of the tourism industry, we would like to thank them and commend them for their assistance.”

Grimbeek said in the next few weeks the local tourism organisations in each town of Mpumalanga.

https://lowvelder.co.za/503306/top-cops ... op-rapist/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Why don't they do the same when a SA woman is raped? 0=
This week tourists from the Netherlands experienced ubuntu (humanity) from the local SAPS
I wish that they had behaved like that to me when I was hijacked, the whole thing would have hurt less and I might have felt less painfully alone :-(

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:-( :-( :-(

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

They should treat all victims the same, but they don't! :evil:

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”