Halfway stop between Pretoria and Kgalagadi.

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Halfway stop between Pretoria and Kgalagadi.

Post by Mel »

The "slower" months are mid to end November and mid January to mid / end February where you probably could still get a booking now, despite the fact that lots is gone the day the bookings open 11 months ahead. But those are also the times when it is usually pretty hot and possibly humid because of the rains.

For warm and dry I suggest mid September to end October or April (and possibly May, although you might get cold spells then as well).

But with anything: if you're unlucky the weather could not be what is should be and bookings for that period will be hard to come by already now. Unless you start the fight for September 2016 in October this year. lol

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
nan

Post by nan »

I will be mid January / February, like Mel said is easier to have some interesting places \O
is hot... but better than the cold of August ;-)

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Toko

Post by Toko »

Nothing better than winter there, it's way too hot after September for parking at a waterhole lol

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Thanks for the comments guys. \O

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

Mel wrote:The "slower" months are mid to end November and mid January to mid / end February where you probably could still get a booking now, despite the fact that lots is gone the day the bookings open 11 months ahead. But those are also the times when it is usually pretty hot and possibly humid because of the rains.

For warm and dry I suggest mid September to end October or April (and possibly May, although you might get cold spells then as well).

But with anything: if you're unlucky the weather could not be what is should be and bookings for that period will be hard to come by already now. Unless you start the fight for September 2016 in October this year. lol

Agree with Mel. We can't go in November due to my son still at school, but go before the Xmas rush early Dec. Still a bit dry with the first rains quickly changing the abundance of animals. Its hot, but after a thunderstorm temperatures generally not very high. Do you plan camping or chalets only. Chalets from Nov - Feb can be very hot at Nossob, while you will have aircon at Twee Rivieren. The tented camps should be fine too. We stayed at Gharagab and Grootkolk in Dec with max not higher than 35 deg C, while some have experience over 45 deg C, depending if it rains or no clouds in the air. Hope you get a place soon. \O

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”