What vehicle does everyone use?

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
Pilanesburg_boy

What vehicle does everyone use?

Post by Pilanesburg_boy »

Hi
I would just like to find out what vehicle everyone uses in the park and how comfortable it is in your respective vehicle..
I use a Chev np 200 small bakkie and it's reasonably comfortable, but with alot of time on the gravel it starts to get abit uncomfortable.. I've had issues with tyres on the gravel on occasion (enough to ruin a good afternoon drive).
I see alot of private tour groups using Quantums and h100's.
I would like to know if anyone uses those and how comfortable is it.
Thank you :)

okie

Re: What vehicle does everyone use?

Post by okie »

A small vehicle like that has small wheels ( 13 inch rims ? ) , and therefore gravel roads with bumps and corrugation will certainly affect it more than a vehicle with larger wheels . Suspension then also becomes an issue , and a small vehicle's shock absorbers are less effective on rough roads . Slow down , slow down , because speed over corrugation makes for less grip and may cause the vehicle to start sliding sideways because of loss of traction especially if you suddenly hit a patch of loose sand or fine gravel .
For gravel , you should also deflate the wheels - it will also give a more comfortable ride , especially early morning -- in the afternoon , it becomes more bumpy again lol

I use a Land Rover Defender , and I can assure you , it is not necessarily the most comfortable ride , but I sit at least 1 meter higher , so therefore much better for viewing than in small ( low ) vehicles ) .

So , main thing is -- slow down :X:

Enough is enough
Pilanesburg_boy

15".. Yea I try not to exceed 40 and now after the tyre issues I go even slower but I guess sometimes it just happens..
Yea I only het height once in a while when I go with a buddy and his x5, the x5 is comfortable and an auto makes it all the much better..
I went with my polo yesterday and hardly exceeded 20...

Anyone know how well the polo cross does in terms of comfort and looking after the suspension and shocks?

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I wouldn't recommend a Quantum. :no: We hired one for Kruger when some overseas family came to visit. The height is nice and there's plenty of space, but there are only three opening windows in the back and they are tiny. It was almost impossible to position a camera properly to get good pics. 0*\

stefan9

Post by stefan9 »

We usually rent a Huyandai H1 for our trips. Very comfortable and plenty of room for our group of 4.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Minibuses are the best for a Park, IMO. Nice and high with plenty of room, as Flutts says. Higher ground clearance and bigger wheels! \O Dunno if one can still get the old VW microbuses somewhere? :-0

Much more reliable, comfortable and less cramped than land rovers..and faster! =O:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
okie

Post by okie »

Richprins wrote:Minibuses are the best for a Park, IMO. Nice and high with plenty of room, as Flutts says. Higher ground clearance and bigger wheels! \O Dunno if one can still get the old VW microbuses somewhere? :-0

Much more reliable, comfortable and less cramped than land rovers..and faster! =O:
Yeahhh , minibuses easily take 16 to 18 passengers \O ...... and or more if there are no cops around O**

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja, one can earn money for your petrol on the way in! ..0..

But for a Landy one would need two minibuses to cover it! =O: =O: =O:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Pilanesburg_boy

@stefan, the hyundia h1 is what I meant, not the h100.. How's the window space with those? Much better for viewing then the quantum I guess?

H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

I have recently acquired a Suzuki 310SJ for the purpose
of exploiting Kruger, in the sense of being nostalgic!!
This particular model being the Samurai version, makes
it sound even more conquering !!

Is Kruger, even Kgalagadi that testing and demanding,
doubt it!! We really do these things only for the fun
of it. All vehicle makes will ultimately conquer the plains
of Africa!! Fact is "your" vehicle will always have something
special, built in that will make it more unique!!~!~

Childish thought, I doubt it!!!, has all to do with participating
in a better purpose!!

Do not be surprised if some knuckle head, soon wants travel
rights into Kruger on a Harley,....tented!!!

Heh,.. H.e

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”