The reasons for decline in tourism arrivals in SA

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: The real reasons for decline in tourism arrivals in SA

Post by Mel »

Honestly... IF I have to go to an informal settlement at all to see how the poor people live,
I certainly wouldn't take anything of value and only a minimum of cash with me. 0*\

And visiting a place like Khayelitsha at all is asking for trouble anyways - local guide or not.

I know that tours like that create revenue for some people living there and I'm sure it was much safer to take those tours
a couple of years ago or so, but these days one has to count on being robbed with the circumstances having developed into as they are...

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Why do they take tourists to these places ..and why do tourists take Wallets , Cameras and cell phones IF they actually want to go to these places

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Anyone's guess! I wouldn't go even if they paid me. It makes me feel bad when I see in which poor conditions someone has to live :-(

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

I have seen it regularly on tripadvisor
There seems to be quite a popular trend for wealthy people from western countries to want to go to some poverty stricken area or school in a developing country. Hand out some pencils and books, take a few photos.
And then go home and pat yourself on the back and tell people how much you are doing for the poor in Africa

IMO it’s a bit warped

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Dzombo wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:02 pm IMO it’s a bit warped
And not just a bit 0*\

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Criminals impersonating policemen on a crime spree against foreign vacationers
Three Brazilian tourists were hijacked and robbed on the road between Hazyview and White River on Tuesday evening just after 19:00.
21 mins ago
The vehicle allegedly hijacked by the suspects.

WHITE RIVER – Tom Vorster, spokesperson of Kruger Lowveld Tourism (KLCBT), confirmed that that their victim support members are providing aid to the victims.

“The KLCBT aftercare programme people are with the Brazilians at this moment at White River Police Station, assisting them with their statements,” he said on Wednesday.

On November 30, Lowvelder reported that police were baffled as to how criminals always seem to know that a certain vehicle is driven by a tourist.

“How do they source this information?” SAPS spokesperson, Brig Leonard Hlathi said. “It has become evident there is a syndicate operating in the Lowveld region orchestrating these robberies.”

This after a German couple was robbed on their way to Graskop on November 25.

In the past months there has been a wave of attacks on tourists in the region.

“AfriForum’s White River neighbourhood watch found the shaken tourists travelling on foot at approximately 23:30, after they were held hostage by their assailants for hours before being abandoned in the bush in a nearby plantation on the Spioenkop Road,” said Johan Pelser, the chairperson of AfriForum’s White River neighbourhood watch.

According to a statement by the district coordinator for AfriForum Lowveld, Hennie Bekker, the two Brazilian men and one woman, in their 20s, were forced off the road by an unknown silver vehicle on the R538.

“Their rental vehicle was approached by two armed suspects, who wore police reflective jackets. The assailants ordered the tourists to move over to the back seat, while demanding their debit and credit cards and banking details.”

“The criminals verified their pin numbers through a speedpoint machine. The suspects also demanded that the victims hand over all their valuables,” Bekker said.

Bekker stated that members of Afriforum’s neighbourhood watch were immediately notified of the incident and mobilised to search for the suspects as well as the missing vehicle.

Shortly thereafter the hijacked Toyota Corolla was found deserted in the bush by members of AfriForum’s neighbourhood watch.

“The tourists were extremely traumatised by the series of unfortunate events. We assisted in calming them down by allowing them to call their families overseas and banking institutions in order to stop their cards. I offered them accommodation and assistance in reporting the matter to the police,” explained Dawie Ruthven of AfriForum’s White River neighbourhood watch.

“This incident follows numerous warnings issued to tourism institutions to be vigilant against criminal activities and to not go out at night. Similar incidents were reported these past 30 days,” Pelser said.

Letter from Brazilians, thanking Ruthven for his hospitality.

Col Donald Mdluli, the provincial police spokesperson, confirmed that a case of carjacking was registered with the police. “We tried to get as much information as possible from the tourists in order to thoroughly investigate the case. We are looking for these suspects who took the foreign vacationers by surprise.”

https://lowvelder.co.za/521619/criminal ... cationers/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

:evil: :evil:

Alf

Post by Alf »

It's called inside job my friend.

These criminals have connections everywhere and possibly even at the rental company

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

These criminals get informed by employees of rental companies, hotels, b&bs, petrol stations etc. there has never been a doubt in my mind about this since it happened to me. Very strange that they have not yet started to interview some of these people. If they arrived at the Mpumalanga Kruger airport like I did, there are not that many rental companies to search :evil: :evil:

I hope that this gets to the International media and get the police to move. What I am afraid of is that the police agents are not prepared sufficiently.
The ones I have run into definitely weren't 0*\ If it is an organized set-up it should not be that difficult to get hold of them in a limited area like this one.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Lis, promise always to be home before dark O-/

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”