Post by Twigga »

Remarkable !

Somewhere in Kruger
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Leopard Jumps Across River with Kill

Post by Lisbeth »

Incredible :shock:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

My thoughts exactly, Lis!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Wow, what strength! :shock: ^Q^

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Leopard

Post by Lisbeth »

The fantastic sighting of the ‘meerkat’ leopard

Posted on 6 September, 2018 by Lemala Camps and Lodges in Animal Encounters, Destinations, Tanzania, Wildlife

© Lemala Camps and Lodges

It was a very early start for us from the beautifully located Lemala Ewanjan, a tented camp set within the game-rich Seronera Valley in a secluded part of the central Serengeti in northern Tanzania. With a photographer in tow, today was the day we were planning to find what we were already fondly referring to as our leopard and her cub.

We had seen her briefly the day before, but with all the other vehicles around it was not so easy to actually enjoy any time with her – so today we were hoping it was going to be just us and her and her young cub.

Leopard in the grasslands of Tanzania

Off we went to the Maasai Kopjes to have a look around, though sadly she was nowhere to be seen. We drove on for a bit and decided at one point to park on the side of the dirt road and scan the grasslands.

Then suddenly there she was! Perched on top a sand mound and clearly looking anxious. We quickly realised that she was looking for her youngster and so we too started scanning the area until we found him in the long grass, not far from our vehicle.

Leopard in the grasslands of Tanzania looking for her cub

With our eyes peeled on the young cub and then back to the mother, it was difficult to know where to look first. She was anxious and scanning the grasslands, looking at us every so often. She was actively calling but the little one wouldn’t move.

Whether she knew where her cub was or not we will never know, but she continued to call, watch and listen intently, but the young cub didn’t moved and remained well and truly hidden.

Leopard in wilderness of Tanzania standing up on her hindlegs

And then this happened: Clearly fed up of waiting and calling she started lifting herself up on her hind legs, like a meerkat, to get a better eye view of the area, until she was standing at full height!

We couldn’t believe it. Never in all our years of being on safari and watching wildlife documentaries, had either of us ever seen a leopard do this.

Leopard in the wilderness of Tanzania standing on hind legs

From this vantage point she quickly spotted her cub, and she immediately started calling again, patiently waiting for the cub to join her. It didn’t take long before the two were finally reunited, making their way past our vehicle before disappearing into the grasslands.

It was a precious time for us with these leopards, and one that we will never forget – and to have enjoyed it all by ourselves (with the exception of a couple of 4×4 vehicles that joined us on the road) was a bonus! It just goes to show that waking up extra can be rewarded with spectacular sightings such as this one.

Leopard mother and cub in the grasslands of Tanzania

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Beautiful!! \O \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Amazing :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

VIDEO

Very strong, looks like a kudu? :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1046416841663553537

Kruger Sightings
‏Verified account @LatestKruger
19h19 hours ago

09:32
Big male leopard took his kill up a tree now stationary
H1-3, 5km N of Kumana Waterhole
Near Tshokwane
Vis 5/5
Tinged by Ruan & Lizzy

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Aha...another post says it's a nyala! \O

Return to “Mammals”