African Wild Dog

Discussions and information on all Southern African Mammals
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: African Wild Dog

Post by Richprins »

0/0 Flutts!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
okie

Post by okie »

RobertT wrote:The pack Okie saw is another pack, not the released ones. The released dogs were still in Mozambique on 22nd Nov. \O
Correct \O Apparently they crossed over , came back and crossed back to Moz at Dipeni area .

We saw a pack of 22 , on 4 occasions in two days . One male adult had a collar , and we counted 16 youngsters of around 3 - 4 months old .
I will post some pics as soon as I've sorted them out

Enough is enough
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Wild dogs and hyenas fight over kill in Kruger

A pack of rare wild dogs made a kill on the side of the road in Kruger National Park, but their meal was soon interrupted by two hungry hyenas.

The video was captured by Koert Grobler and shared by Latest Sightings. Grobler was driving from Skukuza to Tshokwane when he came across the gnawing wild dogs.

"My heart was pounding and I battled to keep the camera still. I realised that I’m extremely lucky to see wild dogs, let alone a kill in the road," Grobler told Latest Sightings.

"All of a sudden, two hyenas appeared and I couldn’t believe how fortunate I was to see how they competed with the dogs for the food. The hyenas and dogs loudly made aggressive sounds as they attacked each other in competition for the kill.

"The hyenas took the last scraps of the meat and disappeared into the bushes. The dogs started trotting down the road, and found a resting place in the shade of a thorn tree in the middle of the road.

phpBB [video]

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

5 Facts you did not know about African wild dogs

© Anton Kruger

Many will know that Africa’s wild dogs (Lycaon pictus) require vast areas to roam, hunt cooperatively to run down their prey and regurgitate food for pups and other pack members. But there are other remarkable facts about these beautiful animals that perhaps you didn’t know.

Here are 5 fascinating facts about African wild dogs:

1. Wild dogs have only four toes on each foot, lacking the fifth (dew claw) that other dogs have on the front foot (and sometimes also on the back foot).

2. Once wild dogs reach maturity it is the females that leave the pack to seek out other breeding opportunities, while the males stay behind to form the nucleus of the pack.

3. Pups that are old enough to eat solid food are given priority at a kill – even over the dominant pair.

4. Wild dogs have specially adapted teeth, different to other canids, to enable the rapid shredding of carcasses and therefore lessen the chance of having their meals stolen by other predators.

5. Wild dog fur differs from other canids – they have stiff bristle-hairs and no underfur. They lose their fur as they age, with very old dogs being almost naked.

And did you know? Research has revealed that the decision by a group of African wild dogs to get up from rest and hit the road to hunt as a collective pack is a democratic one, albeit with a twist. Votes are cast by way of sneezes.

© Thea Felmore

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:ty:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
stefan9

Post by stefan9 »

Very nice. \O

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Very interesting facts ^Q^

2. Once wild dogs reach maturity it is the females that leave the pack to seek out other breeding opportunities, while the males stay behind to form the nucleus of the pack.

\O \O Wild dogs are very wise indeed X#X

C'mon, reincarnation ^0^ ^0^

okie

Post by okie »

Hmmmm..... you see that behaviour amongst humans too , hanging around bright-lit streets at night O**

Enough is enough
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

=O: =O: I doubt that is what Ex was thinking of O**

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/980412446241325056

Very rare this, whatever it's doing! :shock:

Return to “Mammals”