How to behave near Elephants when in a Reserve

Discussions and information on all Southern African Mammals
Bushcraft

Re: How to behave near Elephants when in a Reserve

Post by Bushcraft »

Sprocky wrote:
If they approach you while you are stationary, don't move, they will pass you.

Been there, done that, got the skid marks in my jocks! O**
=O: =O: also been there many times, but not the skid marks part =O: X#X

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

I've found that a pretty good indicator that an elephant is not in a good mood - in addition to sticky-out ears etc., is when their tail is horizontal.

As a very last resort when being attacked by an elephant, make as much noise as you can by shouting, leaning on the horn and banging the side of the car. If that doesn't work, put your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye O**

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

BluTuna wrote:If that doesn't work, put your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye O**
Not if you have skid marks like Sprocky =O: --00--

RobertT

Post by RobertT »

BluTuna wrote:I've found that a pretty good indicator that an elephant is not in a good mood - in addition to sticky-out ears etc., is when their tail is horizontal.

As a very last resort when being attacked by an elephant, make as much noise as you can by shouting, leaning on the horn and banging the side of the car. If that doesn't work, put your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye O**
I also find turning car with passenger side closest helps as well. Reckon I will get a louder scream out of Tammy than any noise I can make on the hooter. =O: =O: =O:

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

Bushcraft wrote:Not if you have skid marks like Sprocky =O: --00--
Thanks for that image Image

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

IMO some people visiting a reserve are not clearly conscious of the fact, that the animals are wild animals. They might have seen too many sensational photos of lions on the hoot of a car, hyenas eating tires etc. and do not realize that the animals do not know that it is a car, but only a part of the landscape.

Elephants look so calm and are herbivorous, you even see them in them in the circus so nothing to be scared of 0*\

Ignorance is the biggest enemy of our society O-/

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

So true Lis.

We were watching lions in Pilanesberg when some foreign visitors got out of their car and started walking towards them. We called them back and asked if they knew these were wild animals. They looked shocked and quickly got back in their cars!! :O^ 0*\

Return to “Mammals”