African Wildcat

Discussions and information on all Southern African Mammals
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: African Wildcat

Post by Richprins »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Our mascot! :-0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Good idea \O ^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Cutie! \O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Kruger Sightings
‏Verified account @LatestKruger
Sep 8

06:07
4 African wild cats, mom with 3 kittens on the move
H1-4, just outside A circle
Near Satara
Vis 5/5
Tinged by Walli & Rainer

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

:-0 :-0

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

How cute O\/

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Richprins wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:55 am Image

Kruger Sightings
‏Verified account @LatestKruger
1h1 hour ago

08:15
Wild cat with one kitten
H14, 1km N of the S131
Near Phalaborwa
Vis 5/5
Tinged by Rowbottom Family

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

A rare location by aat in 2015 - Shongololo loop near Mopane:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6401&start=30

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

African wildcat kitten in my garden

Posted on 13 June, 2019 by Simon Espley in Animal Encounters, Kruger, South Africa, Wildlife

The African wildcat kitten safely tucked away under a pile of logs © Simon Espley

It was the fierce hissing and spitting that alerted me to the tiny kitten hidden under a pile of dead branches on our plot in Hoedspruit Wildlife Estate, bordering the Greater Kruger National Park. At first I thought that the noise was a Mozambique spitting cobra, because we have encountered a few of those in our garden.

I ushered our curious Jack Russell terrier from the scene, and approached again with caution. Again, the fierce hissing and spitting, accompanied by a tiny but resounding ‘thump’. Then I saw the fierce eyes staring at me from underneath the dead branches. The tiny fluffball with a mean right jab (the ‘thump’ that I heard) was a few inches from my foot, safe under a pile of dead branches.

This explained why the ADULT African wildcat a short distance away from me did not hurry off when I approached, after I was alerted to its presence by alarm-calling birds. I had seen this individual wildcat before near our home, and usually it would vaporise into the surrounding bushveld soon after seeing me. Her having a kitten would also explain the slightly ‘fuller’ look this time – she is lactating.

The cautious African wildcat watches me as I inadvertently approach her hidden kitten © Simon Espley

Not wanting to disturb whatever was going on, I snapped a quick vid and a few pics on my mobile phone and retreated to our veranda about 50m away, to observe from afar. Soon after, I watched mom and kitten‘ leopard-crawl’ away and disappear into a dense copse.

IMPORTANT note about African wildcats and inbreeding with domestic cats:

Having seen many African wildcats in several locations throughout Africa, I was interested in the observed subtle variations in coat shade and striping. Turns out that coat shades vary geographically, BUT also: many African wildcats are inbred with our domestic variety, at least to some extent. I would imagine that those found in this area probably have genetic maladies, bearing in mind the local domesticated cat populations. And so I make no claim as to the genetic purity of this cat and her kitten.

More information about African wildcats here: A Closer Look at the African Wildcat.

The kitten spits its warning, after I stumbled upon it while watching the mother. © Simon Espley

phpBB [video]

Return to “Mammals”