Sparrows (Family Passeridae)

Discussions and information on all Southern African Birds
Amoli

Re: CAPE SPARROW - Bird of the month AUGUST

Post by Amoli »

The Cape sparrow is an abundant and familiar bird of human habitations and cultivation in most of southern Africa.

It is not believed to be threatened, and is listed as Least Concern on the IUCN Red List.

Diet of the Cape Sparrow

Forages mainly on the ground for seeds and insects, but also takes fruits, seeds and nectar directly from plants.

Cape sparrows are primarily granivorous, and also eat soft plant parts and insects.

Our Wistera is showing signs of blooms and the sparrow fight each other for the freshest pick of the crop.

I also have various feeders out for them (and other birds)

And lots of water..

INTERESTING INFORMATION :

The Cape sparrow has been featured on several coins of the South African rand,

and on stamps from Lesotho and the Central African Republic

Some 40 years ago, there was a book reading on Springbok Radio at 6 in the morning. The stories were about a sparrow family and it was more intriguing than Dynasty or Dallas ever was.
This book was also a prescribed school reading book for the 8th or 9th graders some 30 years ago.

I asked RP to do a translation of the write-up for us.

Twee vir 'n stuiwer - Two for a coin - W.A. Hickey

Through this classic tale about the life of a sparrow community, Hickey has created something for young and old. Kuif Kwaster and his family - an exemplary and renowned sparrow household in the affluent part of town, take the reader on a journey unimaginable to humans. Along with Skeel At and Kuifen readers defend sparrow-honour against the vengeful and rebellious Beatnik Gang. Along with Meks and Maja the young males of the affluent area are flirted with!

Hickey writes the following about the origin of this excellent work:

During April of 1961 I was sitting at my writing desk. Through my window, I observed the comings and goings of 11 sparrows. That is really a large number if it were a single family, yet there was an intimacy that created the impression they were more than casual acquaintances! The little group could have represented any community...(that drab female with the rumpled feathers really looked like she could be the local gossip...), the good and the less-good!"
One may measure the success of this unique book using the fact that it has been reprinted 23 times since 1961! At the request of readers who miss this valuable and whimsical text, Protea Publishers have made "Twee vir ’n Stuiwer" available once more!

House Sparrow and Grey Headed Sparrow

Instances of hybridisation with the house sparrow, the southern grey-headed sparrow, and the Sudan golden sparrow have been reported

Please post pics of your ‘other’ sparrows.

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Took these today. ;-)

Cape Sparrows

Grey-headed Sparrows

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

House Sparrows

Image male

Image female

Tina

Post by Tina »

seen in our garden - Eurasian tree sparrow

10.03. - 24.03.2015 From Berg to bush
19.11. - 01.12.2015 KTP
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lovely Tina! \O

nan

Post by nan »

the last one in Addo

Image male 16.10.2012

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

House Sparrow :

taken at Suikerbosrand

taken at Lory Park, Midrand

taken in Kruger

taken in Pilansberg

I have this as a juvenile Grey headed sparrow taken in my garden

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
nan

Post by nan »

House Sparrow bathing

nan

Post by nan »

Moineau soulcie/Rock Sparrow

the same :-? bu not sure

Moineau friquet/Eurasian Tree Sparrow

Seiont

Post by Seiont »

0/* I’m late to this thread but as it is still August I trust a post about the European House Sparrows in my garden is still permissible.

The roof of my house is in dire need of repair. I will not allow it to be repaired because of the large number of house sparrows that nest up there. It would hurt me to disturb them. They have lived under the eaves for the last 15 years or so and the number has increased to maybe 30 or 40 individuals after the summer broods fledge and before predation.

I have a number of bird feeders almost touching the hedge that runs down the side of our garden. They often travel up and down the garden on the inside of the hedge and have formed many peep holes along its length. They use these to peep out and check it is safe to go to the feeders.

They are very careful as we have a pair of sparrowhawks in regular attendance too.

The sparrows eat lots of seeds but they are worth it as it is a joy to see a cloud of house sparrows when then are in decline in so many parts of the UK.
We often find sparrows outside the back door of our home who have fallen from the eaves or who have fledged, got soaked during rain and then struggled to fly. When that happens I catch them in my hands and gently hold them so they can’t escape but have enough space to move. I then walk and sit in the garden. At first they are very quiet but as the warmth of my hands dries their feathers and warms them they start to chirp and move around. It takes maybe 20 or 30 minutes until I feel they are ready to go. I then walk to the hedge, say Farewell, and release them. I must have done it 8 or 10 times over the years and it always makes my heart sing.

Return to “Birds”