Garden Bird Pictures

Discussions and information on all Southern African Birds
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Garden Bird Pictures

Post by Mel »

Colourful birds - wish we got some more of those :O^

The crane chick is very cute 0/0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Thanks all. They're too special not to share. And, unlike African birds, I can actually identify a few of them! -O

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

A few more visitors over the past few days.

A thirsty Karoo Thrush.

A Green Wood Hoopoe making an impressive fly past.

The Brown Hooded Kingfisher made an appearance again and in the same tree as before. Three shots as I zoomed up on him.

A weaver in a strelitzia.

An imprint on my bedroom window - please excuse the dirty window. If you look carefully you can even the see imprint of the wings outstretched.

A first for my camera - Bronze Mannikin. I have had to crop these photos quite drastically due to the size of the bird.

I took this photo to try and get the green shimmer on his wing. Also very heavily cropped and dark as he was hiding in a pointsettia tree.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
nan

Post by nan »

wow Bronze Mannikin, never saw O/\ ^Q^
and the Kingfisher... you can keep it for yourself... I have to do 40Km for maybe see one =O:
^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

You are becoming quite the pro at your in-flight pics! \O What poor bird flew into the window? :shock:

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

nan wrote:wow Bronze Mannikin, never saw
and the Kingfisher... you can keep it for yourself... I have to do 40Km for maybe see one
But nan you must have other birds that we do not see here - please share some pics with us.

Flutterby wrote:You are becoming quite the pro at your in-flight pics! What poor bird flew into the window?
Thanks very much for that lovely compliments Flutterby. I am not sure which bird it was as the bump must have just knocked him about a bit and then he flew off. -O- -O- -O-

In a book I read the author said that when in the game reserve or elsewhere he always kept his camera on 1/4000 so that he was all ready to take a fast moving object as you do not have time to set your camera whereas if the object is slow moving you then have time to change your settings from 1/4000 to /1/800 or whatever.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
nan

Post by nan »

steamtrainfan wrote:...... But nan you must have other birds that we do not see here - please share some pics with us......
Yes, I have... but I feed them only in winter, where there is snow, ice... between minus 15-0°, they are wild animals O**
now, come Black Birds to have a bath, idem for Eurasian Magpies, and Sparrows to have a drink...
the birdbaths are at 1 m. from the window, so I have to take picture through it ;-)
will post a bathing one -O

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Thanks nan. Look forward to seeing some "through the window" photos. ;-)

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Mr and Mrs Coucal sharing lunch.

Grey go away bird and a speckled mouse bird sharing a meal.

Speckled mouse bird looking for seconds.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Where do you live, STF - in a game reserve :shock: -O

Marvelous bird sightings again (green!) ^Q^

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Birds”