Garden Bird Pictures

Discussions and information on all Southern African Birds
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Garden Bird Pictures

Post by Mel »

Loving it! :-) :-) :-)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

Beautiful birdlife STF and Sprocky

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

We moved into our present house six years ago. It was a new development and we started the garden from scratch. One of the first trees we planted was the Coral tree and now we are reaping the benefits. Besides their gorgeous flowers they attract birds like the amerthyst sunbird - haven't got a photo of him yet 0*\

As I said last week this was the first time the Southern Masked Weaver built a nest in our Coral Tree O/\ O/\ O/\

Most gardeners are familiar with this hard working bird especially now in spring. He mixes with other seed-eaters at bird-feeders.

The Southern Masked Weaver nests alone but sometimes he may join small colonies. He mates with between 2-12 females and fervently builds his nests trying to impress the picky females. He builds some 10-50 nests and then advertises all his homes to the females. He can make quite a mess while leaf stripping especially the palm tree, which can be left bare, and also leaves a mess when the nest is destroyed.

His displays of hanging from the nest with spread wings while chattering insistently can be seen and heard in many gardens.

His dance includes fluffing up of the wings and still the consistent chattering O:V all in the hope of attracting a female
Once a female accepts his nest then she lays the inside lining to the nest and only then does he build a short entrance tunnel to the nest. She lays 2-3 eggs.
If she does not like the nest it is destroyed and replaced by the male.

Another visitor that loves the taste of the coral flower is the Dark-capped Bulbul

The Cape White-Eye was not going to miss out on this sweet feast

Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

Sharifa, what a great way to show how to attract birds to your garden! \O Indigenous rules!!! ^Q^

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
nan

Post by nan »

if I got a coral flower... not sure I will have these birds 0= -O-
what a chance O/\

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Amoli

Post by Amoli »

I just love your Black collared Barbet Sprocky - will there be babies or is this their home?

Coral tree - that is splendid Sharifa - a great idea. O0 Super birds as visitors. ^Q^ ^Q^

Pretoriuskop
Satara
Shingwedzi
20-30 Dec 2014
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I have always wondered why evolution has decided that the weavers have to do such a complicated job to make a nest -O- Great to watch though ;-) §

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I don't only like your photos, Sharifa, but also the comments
which are very interesting and educational \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Fantastic photos Sharifa especially the white eye. They never keep still long enough for me to get a photo.

Very interesting narration as well. Well done. ^Q^ ^Q^

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

Thanks all \O
Sprocky wrote:Sharifa, what a great way to show how to attract birds to your garden! \O Indigenous rules!!! ^Q^
We have an indigenous garden except for one or two plants and the veggie patch :-)

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lovely birdies and tree!! \O \O

Return to “Birds”