Moderator: Klipspringer

Toko

Crystal amaze: how a chameleon changes colour revealed

Post by Toko »

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Crystal amaze: how a chameleon changes colour revealed

Post by Lisbeth »

Very interesting! So the old story of chameleons changing colour depending on the surrounding is not at all true? It has more to do with its mood.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
nan

Re: Crystal amaze: how a chameleon changes colour revealed

Post by nan »

I saw that yesterday on TV... fascinating \O

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Chameleon

Post by Richprins »

Threatened Knysna chameleon is one of the few species that gives live birth
Watch: Knysna Dwarf chameleon gives birth to 18 young on the hand of Knysna breeder Aldo Kleyn after the loss of many chameleons in the devastating Knysna fires.
March 12, 2019

The threatened Knysna Dwarf chameleon is one of the few of the more than 160 chameleon species, that gives live birth.

These species can give birth to eight to thirty young at a time after a gestation period of four to six months.

Chameleons, which are reptiles of the iguana suborder, range in size from just two centimeters to the size of a domestic cat.

The Knysna Dwarf chameleon (Bradypodion damaranum) is endemic to South Africa and is found in the forests near Knysna on the south-facing slopes of the Outeniqua and Tsitsikamma mountains down to the coast in the eastern Western Cape and western Eastern Cape.

In the past, The Knysna Dwarf chameleon was considered to be a subspecies of the Cape Dwarf chameleon (Bradypodion pumilum). This is now known to be wrong, however Bradypodion damaranum does not appear to have any particularly close living relatives.

Knysna resident Aldo Kleyn told the Mail Online that he has bred and cared for chameleons ever since he witnessed one being crushed by a vehicle more than twelve years ago.

Explaining the video he said that the female chameleon was keen to give birth on his hand, away from hungry males.

“Lots of people have asked why I had her giving birth on my hand and not on a plant. When the females give birth, the males will try to eat some of the young ones. They are quite ferocious.

“To begin with I put her on another plant and she gave birth to three babies, but she wanted to get back on my hand.”

The baby chameleons can shoot out their tongues, which are twice the length of their bodies, minutes after birth to feed on tiny insects.
Impact of the devastating Knysna fires

The birth of these chameleons was significant for Kleyn, who lost his home in the devastating fires that raged across Knysna and surrounds in June 2017, as he was unable to rescue many of the chameleons he had bred.

He had set up a successful chameleon-breeding project before the fire and is rebuilding his sanctuary.

As soon as they were old enough, Kleyn released the babies in the Knysna forest.

He started the Facebook page Knysna Dwarf Chameleons to raise awareness of the plight of the chameleons and to share advice and information on how to care for them.
The truth about why chameleons change colour

Chameleons are one of the few animals that can change their skin colour. However, it is a misconception that they change colour to match their surroundings.

Changing their skin colour is an important part of their communication. According to the San Diego Zoo, a chameleon’s skin changes colour in response to emotions such as anger or fear as well as to changes in light, temperature or humidity.

Baby chameleons start changing colour from the age of six or seven months. Then you start to see shots of green and a little bit of orange. They develop their full colour by about a year.

Watch: Knysna Dwarf chameleons’ live birth on Aldo Kleyn’s hand

phpBB [video]

https://lowvelder.co.za/471800/threaten ... ive-birth/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

^Q^ ^Q^

I wonder if the babies stay with the mom for a while? :-?

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Amazing! ^Q^ ^Q^ O/\ O/\ O:V

Beautiful colours \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

https://africageographic.com/blog/breed ... chameleon/

It does not answer your question, though.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

\O

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

phpBB [video]

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Is that your own video, RP? :-0

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Reptiles”