Moderator: Klipspringer

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Re: Insect or Invertebrates Identification

Post by Klipspringer »

There is no open access version of the paper you want

Here a bit of info
http://www.koreascience.or.kr/article/J ... 63891.page

vein M ending in R 4+5 well before wing margin and wing cell r4+5 with a petiole longer than crossvein r-m - makes a Phasia

nice paper on Phasiinae
https://stiremanlab.files.wordpress.com ... siinae.pdf

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Yes, those are the two I'm trying to ID. I have more angles of the second one. :ty:

Will look into them - may have to do a Phasia spp. entry. 0/0

Time for a X#X .

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

I think, ID to species level is not possible, just check the wing to see if that matches for Phasia

SANBI-list has for SA these Phasia spp:

africana
argentifrons
cana
distincta
nigromaculata
subnitida
transvaalensis
nasalis
nasuta

X#X

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Phasia - Wings transparent (especially in females) or "smoky" patterned (especially in males), with distinctive venation: M1 curves forward distally and meet R4+5, with petiole longer than r-m; calypters conspicuously large.

Here’s a Phasia pic from Diptera.info.:

Another Phasia from BugNet

Mine:

= Phasia sp. Whadda ya' think :-)

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

ExFmem wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:44 pm

= Phasia sp. Whadda ya' think :-)
:yes: :yes: :yes:

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

ExFmem wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:02 pm Megachilid Bee
Family: Megachilidae

Imfolozi

The Megachilidae are a cosmopolitan family of (mostly) solitary bees distinguishable by the brush of pollen-carrying hairs (called a scopa) being restricted to the underside surface of the abdomen (rather than mostly or exclusively on the hind legs as in other bee families).

Megachilid genera are most commonly known as mason bees and leafcutter bees, reflecting the materials from which they build their nest cells (soil or leaves, respectively); a few collect plant or animal hairs and fibers, and are called carder bees. All species feed on nectar and pollen, but a few are cleptoparasites (informally called "cuckoo bees"), feeding on pollen collected by other megachilid bees. Parasitic species do not possess scopae. Megachilid bees are among the world's most efficient pollinators because of their energetic swimming-like motion in the reproductive structures of flowers, which moves pollen, as needed for pollination. One of the reasons they are efficient pollinators is their frequency of visits to plants, but this is because they are extremely inefficient at gathering pollen. Compared to all other bee families, megachilids require on average nearly 10 times as many trips to flowers to gather sufficient resources to provision a single brood cell.
This is a Heriades (or related genus). Would you agree and ammend the post, ExFmem?
If you have more photos of these Osmiines when they fly off and show the proboscis, one could exclude Stenoheriades for sure.

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Sure, will look and see what else I have.

Also, can I "assume" the second Tachnid fly we were talking about is also a Phasia sp, since I don't have a great pic of that one's wing venation? Can post the pics here if need be. :ty:

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

ExFmem wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:28 pm Sure, will look and see what else I have.

Also, can I "assume" the second Tachnid fly we were talking about is also a Phasia sp, since I don't have a great pic of that one's wing venation? Can post the pics here if need be. :ty:

Yes, I think this is also Phasia and likely also female, there are hardly any other Phasiinae in SA as I see it.

BTW: They are called Red-eyed Flies in the fuild guide

Love your entry ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Re: "This is a Heriades (or related genus). Would you agree and ammend the post, ExFmem?
If you have more photos of these Osmiines when they fly off and show the proboscis, one could exclude Stenoheriades for sure."

I do not have other photos of that bee. How do you wish me to amend the post - just make it show Family, Subfamily, Tribe, and make it a possibly Heriades, or definitively that genus? Thanks.

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

I think it's a:

cf. Heriades sp.

O0

Return to “Invertebrates”