Jumping Spider IDs and Comments

Discussions and information on all Southern African Invertebrates

Moderator: Klipspringer

ExFmem

Jumping Spider IDs and Comments

Post by ExFmem »

As I struggle to identify my insects, and I see there are more questions than answers, I ask myself WHY are we even attempting to create a database when the "experts" don't even have the answers? 0: 0:

For example, I have a number of Jumping Spiders from Kruger which I can't identify by ANY books, on-line identification guides, etc etc ad nauseum. The only entry for them in AW's spider book is at the Family level, so do I add all mine as Salticidae species? Is that really helpful?

Why bother is the question I keep asking myself. Just to show my photos? I can do that in Macro Photography, or Creepy Crawlies... O/ O/

I need an objective view as to why we are creating "books/guides" when they are so obviously extraordinately limited?

Sorry, in advance, for being so exasperated :-(

APRIL 2020 UPDATE: I have changed the topic title so we may use this thread for jumping spider identifications and comments on same. Thanks.
Last edited by ExFmem on Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toko

Re: Question Born Out of Frustration

Post by Toko »

=O: =O: =O:

My suggestion: you "publish" a new book of unidentified jumping spiders ;-)

Even in guidebooks and other sources you won't find many flies and spiders with an ID on species level ;-)

Post them just to the book, I'd say (as jumping spider only) O:V

BTW: Here are all SA species listed with distributions, but the distributions there are probably not complete :O^
http://www.arc.agric.za/arc-ppri/Docume ... SPISIC.pdf

here to look up abdominal patterns with drawings etc
http://www.jumping-spiders.com/

BluTuna

Post by BluTuna »

@ ExFmem!

Your frustrations are exactly the reason that the info books are being created, one day your jumping spiders might have been identified and the information will be in the AW Info Books!

Publish the pictures under the family or put them on the ID thread. Maybe someone will ID them eventually!

I think that Toko deserves a medal for the work she's done on this impossible task!

Hunting cannot be considered a sport as all contestants in a sport should know they are playing the game!
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

BluTuna wrote:@ ExFmem!

Your frustrations are exactly the reason that the info books are being created, one day your jumping spiders might have been identified and the information will be in the AW Info Books!

Publish the pictures under the family or put them on the ID thread. Maybe someone will ID them eventually!

I think that Toko deserves a medal for the work she's done on this impossible task!
So do I! And ExF for continuing despite her frustration and BluTuna and others who are following the odd topics (and posting pics) even if they do not have the answers nor have they ever seen any of these creepy crawlies.
VIVA the human curiosity which leads to great discoveries and less frustrations for ExF ;-)

NEVER GIVE UP!!! \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

@BluTuna ("I think that Toko deserves a medal for the work she's done on this impossible task!")

Hear! Hear! ^Q^ I'll drink to that! X#X

@Lisbeth ("NEVER GIVE UP!!!")

Thanks, I probably just needed a peptalk, so thanks for supplying it. 0/0 Will give me a second wind to continue on.

When I spend HOURS on something and come away completely empty handed, I start to question if I'm wasting valuable time. Okay, it's a new day now, so I have a fresh 24 hours to waste - onward and upward! \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Medal for Toko O0

Toko

Post by Toko »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Our books are a great team effort and we deserve indeed some medals - ALL OF US ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

O0 for all who contribute: IDs, photos, interesting thoughts and high spirits X#X X#X X#X

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I can only contribute with company for a X#X :-0

Toko

Post by Toko »

0/0 Lis, very good to have you around here X#X

Return to “Invertebrates”