Foreign Tourists Abandon Kruger Due to Protest Dangers on Access Roads

How to get there, road updates
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Foreign Tourists Abandon Kruger Due to Protest Dangers on Access Roads

Post by Richprins »

Tourism in a state of emergency
Domestic tourism is in dire straits and the blame is being laid on the provincial government’s doorstep.
32 mins ago
Charl Pienaar

Oupa Pilane, president of the KLCBT.

MBOMBELA – Domestic tourism is in dire straits and the blame is being laid on the provincial government’s doorstep.

The constant refusal to engage with major stakeholders to develop and grow this vital economical sector has had a detrimental effect with major foreign tourist agencies contemplating withdrawal from Mpumalanga. The province currently lies in sixth place as the most visited province in South Africa.

The Kruger Lowveld Chamber of Business and Tourism (KLCBT), led by Oupa Pilane, cites the lack of leadership, unreliable service delivery, protests, crumbling attractions, unsafe conditions, unsafe roads, looming water crisis and the uncertainty around the World Heritage Site’s development, as some of the challenges facing this dilapidated sector.

A crisis mass meeting with stakeholders and the media will be held today to address challenges, find solutions and to prepare a petition to hand over to the minister of tourism, Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane. She will visit the province next Friday.

Pilane estimates that local tourism has allegedly decreased by 70,2 per cent.
According to the president of the KLCBT, the foreign tourist operators are apparently considering entering the Kruger National Park through Limpopo, which is investing a considerable amount more towards critical infrastructure, roads and the safety of tourists.

A National Tourism Sector Strategy 2016-2026 was published by national government focuses on inclusive growth, which must fundamentally be based on domestic and international tourist market growth and expenditure increases.
“It gives a framework on how a tourism forum should be established, but the private sector says government has failed them,” said Pilane.

He reiterated that the plan was supposed to guide tourism in provinces, but the premier of Mpumalanga, Refilwe Mtsweni-Tsipane, did not even mention a single word on tourism in her State of the Province Address. This confirms that it was not even on her agenda or part of the budget allocation. Another concern for them is that the Mpumalanga Tourism and Parks Agency (MTPA) has no representation from stakeholders, therefore it lacks the necessary knowledge and skills to drive and develop tourism.

The KLCBT has on numerous occasions tried to schedule a meeting with government, to formulate an action plan and discuss critical process support, which includes marketing, development, branding and skills development, but according to Pilane, they were not successful.

Director of KLCBT, Lisa Sheard echoed the sentiment and said knowledgeable and experienced leadership on provincial government level is necessary to clean up tourism.

According to Linda Grimbeeck the CEO of KLCBT, government is throwing away the proverbial fruits of the tree, by not investing into tourism. “We are planning and strategising wonderful developments within the sector, but government does not engage with us to address our concerns. We believe the public attractions must be privatised.”

Grimbeek said the decline in visitors is a major concern. “Local South Africans who sell tourist packages to foreigners, are your greatest ambassadors for the promotion of your province.”
David Frost, board member of the Southern African Tourism Services Association (Satsa) will attend today’s meeting today to gain first-hand knowledge of the situation.

“Frost comes with a huge amount of knowledge. He will be able to hear our frustrations and address our concerns, as he has close ties with Minister Kubayi-Ngubane. I made submissions to Satsa and as a consequence, the minister will visit the province to engage with us,” Pilane said.

Lowvelder requested comment from various governmental institutions and received a joint response by MTPA and the Department of Economic Development and Tourism (DEDT).
They alleged that the tourism sector is one of the priority areas of the provincial government. The MTPA continues to ensure that it markets Mpumalanga as a tourism destination through various trade shows, participation in key provincial events and through support provided to small businesses, to ensure it grows and creates more job opportunities.

It further states that Mpumalanga is fourth in provincial rankings and has achieved a 27 per cent growth in the domestic market when compared to 2017.

The MTPA claims that it continues to perform infrastructure upgrades and successfully conducted improvements at Blyde River Canyon, Manyeleti, Loskop Dam, Mkhombo Dam, Mdala, Verloren Vallei and Ohrigstad Dam Nature Reserves, to accommodate tourist facilities.

Further, the province has prioritised tourism routes and a forum has been created that observes the state of those routes.The departments are also currently working in coordination with the Department of Community Safety, Security and Liaison to ensure tourist’s safety and the Department of Public Works, Roads and Transport on maintenance and infrastructure upgrades.

The DEDT asserts that it has prioritised the revival and establishment of a Provincial Tourism Sector Forum to ensure the prioritisation of certain areas that will advance tourism.

The MTPA allegedly defines itself as an associate member of Satsa and continues to attend conferences when invited on time. It emphasised that a partnership can only be measured in terms of the implementation of measures to improve the industry and not in the number of meetings they attend.

https://lowvelder.co.za/496560/tourism-state-emergency/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Too many politicians are incompetent 0*\

There have also been a lot of cancellations from foreign tourists due to the last murder in the Table Mountain NP.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Oupa is a very well-respected elder and businessman down here. Also an ANC veteran stalwart of note! O-/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I was talking about
but the premier of Mpumalanga, Refilwe Mtsweni-Tsipane, did not even mention a single word on tourism in her State of the Province Address.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:yes:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

This is not the right place to post the below, but as it is rather instructive I'll do it all the same ;-)

https://www.asherfergusson.com/solo-fem ... el-safety/

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Very instructive, Lis! :evil:

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Protests, crime driving away tourists: Tourism boss

Saturday 24 August 2019 - 11:05am

Tourism Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane says crime has a negative impact on the sector.

JOHANNESBURG - South Africa could be attracting as much as double the 10 million tourists currently flocking into the country yearly if it wasn’t for crime, service delivery protests and deteriorating infrastructure.

These factors, the state of our roads and other infrastructure pose a serious threat to the R40.1-billion tourism industry, the Tourism Business Council of SA has warned.

The council’s CEO, Tshifhiwa Tshivhengwa, said crime topped the list of things tourists worry about when visiting South Africa.

And if safety was not an issue, the country could be welcoming 15 million to 20 million visitors a year compared with the current 10.4 million.

One job is created for every 12 tourists.

The frequent service delivery protests, during which communities block roads leading to popular tourist sites, are a nightmare for tour operators, he said.

READ: Crime has negative impact on tourism sector, says minister

Tshivhengwa said: “Violence against tourists is equivalent to economic crimes such as stealing copper cables and gold, and something must be done.”

The council and the country’s other tourism stakeholders have recently been up in arms, putting pressure on Minister of Tourism Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane and the parliamentary portfolio committee on tourism to come up with solutions.

“Over the past 20 years, one of the things that tourists are worried about is their safety. This has been one of the inhibitors to growth … if it were not for this we would be sitting on 15 million to 20 million visitors a year,” Tshivhengwa said.

“As a country, we’ve got everything that any tourist would want to see and it’s quite important that they feel safe. We have, however, seen a recurrence of the same crimes against tourists in the past few months and this calls for us to look at tourism differently as it creates jobs. It’s labour intensive and doesn’t require too much infrastructure.”

Tshivhengwa said South Africa needed to deal with visa reforms in order to attract more tourists.

He said the country should be looking at unlocking the Chinese and Indian markets where economic growth is sustained.

“Leaders must look at these problems differently and carefully. People protest and block roads that lead to tourism sites."

This has an impact on tourism operators who can be sued for not living up to expectations when they have no access to places. We’ve seen tourists saying they were not going to visit Cape Town when there was a water crisis. These are all the issue leaders must look at,” Tshivhengwa said.

This year alone, a number of high profile attacks on tourists have taken place. These include 14 separate attacks on Table Mountain alone.

Ukrainian tourist, Ivan Ivanov, was attacked by three men and killed while hiking at the popular East Fort above Chapman’s Peak last month.

A group of tourists were followed from the OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg and attacked at African Pride Irene Country Lodge in Centurion.

They were robbed of their jewellery and cellphones.

Kubayi-Ngubane recently announced that her department was working with various stakeholders to compile a safety plan.

It will include the tourism monitors programme, the development of a safety mobile app to provide tourists with basic tourism information and safety tips with relevant contact details that tourists in distress can use.

Already 86 tourist monitors have been deployed on Table Mountain.

The department is also looking at arming tourist monitors with technology by replicating a Kruger National Park model where rangers, drones and cameras are being deployed to monitor rhino poaching.

Last year, the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) annual review found that South Africa was the largest tourism economy in Africa.

Travel and tourism contributed 1.5 million jobs – or 9.2 percent of total employment – and injected R425.8-billion into the economy last year, representing 8.6 percent of all economic activity in the country.

International tourist arrivals grew by 1.8 percent (10.5 million) from January to December, compared with 2017.

The South African tourism industry received 64 percent leisure travellers while 36 percent were business travellers.

The WTTC has been researching the impact of tourism across 185 countries over the past 25 years.
Source
IRESS

https://www.enca.com/news/protests-crim ... urism-boss

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

This year alone, a number of high profile attacks on tourists have taken place. These include 14 separate attacks on Table Mountain alone.

Ukrainian tourist, Ivan Ivanov, was attacked by three men and killed while hiking at the popular East Fort above Chapman’s Peak last month.

A group of tourists were followed from the OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg and attacked at African Pride Irene Country Lodge in Centurion.

They were robbed of their jewellery and cellphones.
If he had mentioned all of them it would have filled a book!!

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

How to kill tourism bit by bit first with little SANParks users like myself ..I am going to Shingwedzi in Nov ..I booked on Dec 1 2018 and paid the initial Deposit at the Boardwalk Tourism Office in PE in Person as I always do at 09h00 and diarised to pay the rest in time ie by end Aug coming up. Tourism DOES NOT / Should NOT have Office hours (Prescribed by Trade Unions etc) I was late by my standards and arrive at the Boardwalk Office yesterday like I normally do at 09h00 but this time I was 10 mins late. Only to find it closed with a note that on the door stating that from July 1 this office opens at 10h00 on Sat Mornings !!!!! We need Tourism badly ESPECIALLY E Cape!! so I drove to a nearby Shopping Centre and had a Wimpy Brekkie and read the newspaper .. I arrived back at 10h05 ..Still Locked !!!!! Africa time . No sign of life

Finally a sweet young lady arrives talking to a friend on the Cellphone ..I wait at the door and she opens at 10h12 ... Turns off the alarm , Opens the safe and Curtains . Turns on her Computer , goes upstairs to turn Aircon on . Changes the date stamp on her stamp (Should have been proactive and done this the day before or arrived 20 mins earlier to be able to welcome the first guest . At 10h22 she was ready to help me ..Big sweet smile ..which vanished after I explained how first world countries do tourism and how things like changing toilet paper and dates on stamps can be done at closing time the evening before. 'But I am only a student' she says so yes I was too hard on her but we accept far too much iffy service in this country these days .. When I told her I had come to settle my Kruger Booking again the Student excuse was used and she wasnt allowed near the Credit Card Machine .. What was she there for then ??? She then said I could go to the Donkin Monument Office (Very Dodgy Crime Area 5km away ) I asked sarcastically if I can deduct my Petrol , Stress, Wear and tear on my car, wasting time on MY weekend etc etc ..Went straight over her head . I asked her to phone Donkin Office (Closed !!!!) Imagine my Blood Pressure if I just drove there !! @#$ @#$ @#$ @#$

She then said the Airport maybe able to help me .. I asked her to phone first ...The Lady is on Leave was the reply. I left completely unsatisfied at 10h50 after planning to pay at 09h00!!!

It doesnt end there . I went home and Phoned Pretoria SANParks Reservations to Pay over the phone ..I have done this before but not often as I HATE giving my Credit Card details to strangers . I was told by the very pleasant assistant on the phone that 'We dont do Credit Card Payments on the phone anymore' I said 'Internal Crime' and she replied "Exactly but I didnt say that " to much laughter.

So in short the Govt cant do the tiny things like this and they want to introduce NHI and use my Pension to TRY and save Eskom!! =O: =O: @#$ @#$

Maybe I should try and pay at a township Shebeen today as I would hate my booking to lapse

Return to “Travelling to and from Kruger”