Pop-up camp to open in Kruger National Park

Information & Discussion on Other Development Plans for Kruger
G@mespotter

Re: Pop-up camp to open in Kruger National Park

Post by G@mespotter »

Hi there :D

I'm sharing my post here too :-)

I'm glad to see there is already a discussion about this 'Pop-up camp .. 8) I saw many mindblowing adverts for this Pop -up camp and thought: where is this coming from and who authorised this, as I have never seen any (public) information or discussions about any Pop-up camp earlier. After reading SANParks Kruger's reply, I have a few questions. I will discuss this below. I would like to mention something else first.

Trust
On Facebook, SANParks wrote the follwing:
SANParks mandated bij aal South-Africans.jpg
SANParks mandated bij aal South-Africans.jpg (23.81 KiB) Viewed 294 times

According to SANParks themselves, they are mandated by all South-Africans to look after 'our' assets. This is quite true :) Mandated in this instance means these South-Africans vested SANParks with with a monopoly power to govern 'our' assets (read: national parks) such as the Kruger National Park. Mandating someone with so much 'power' means we give SANParks our TRUST. My questions will all be about this trust, as I have questions about the way this Pop-up camp project literally POP's UP completely out of the blue. The fact that SANParks his mandated thus means SANParks have privileges and responsibilities. The first having the privilege to manage and control Kruger, the latter have the responsibility such as providing adequate information (about this Pop-up camp project) and following proper procedures.

Reaction SANParks
I'm very thankfull that SANParks has replied. Thank you for that! At least there is some form of communication about this topic and the Pop-up camp project.

The reply of SANParks is however is very concerning and in IMHO very meager (read: insufficient). I address a few aspects below:
SANParks Kruger wrote:A tender document is being prepared regarding the pop up camp. SANParks operates under strict environmental regulations and has done several pilots in the past 2 years. [...]
Apparently there were pilots. I for one have been quite involved with the Kruger Management Plan for the coming 10 years, but have never seen any information about this Pop-up camp project nor have these been included in the currect Management Plan? Below I posted a copy of the relevant accomodation and activities development according to the management plan. So my question to SANParks is: where is this whole Pop-up camp project coming from!?
plan 2.jpg
plan 1.jpg
As far as I know, this Pup-up camp concept is also not catered for in the new Management Plan nor in appendix 3 thereof.
plan 3.jpg
plan 3.jpg (75.21 KiB) Viewed 294 times
SANParks Kruger wrote:Lessons learned from those projects has informed the decision to [...].
Thank you for admitting that a decision was taken. My question is: who took this decision and on what basis has this decision been taken? And what 'lesson' were learned? Were these lessosn perhaps lessons from the Honorary Ranger's pop-up camp project at Phalaborwa?

According to my information, an Environmental Impact Assement (EIA) should be in place for this activity, and this also implies that there should be due regard to the public participation process according to the NEMA Act. Can SANParks enlighten us on the process they followed?
SANParks Kruger wrote:it a limited event in one area so as to avoid causing any damage to the environment.[...]
Would be quite interesting to know where?

Reversed order of events

The process that was followed:
1. Adverts by companies to book accomodation at this Pop-up camp;
2. In hindsight communicated by SANParks that they took a decision authorising this Pop-up camp project;
3. Tender document is being prepared (not even sure it will be awarded and to whom) :roll:

The way this whole Pop-up camp project is handeld, seems to be in a INCORRECT AND REVERSED order. Why do I say this? Because IHMO SANParks should first conduct an Environmental Impact Assesment (EIA) - and if not I would like to know reason's why not - involving a public participation process (as this project is not provided for in the new Management Plan). Once this is done and proper safeguards (establsihed according tot the rules) are in place, SANParks can make a decision about the (content) of the tender. Thereafter the tender can be released and awarded. After the tender is awarded, the company or companies in question can market this product! This is the correct order of events.

The fact that companies already seem to have a right to sell accomodation for this Pop-up camp implies they already are in busines without an EIA and without tender regulations adhered to? This turn of events seems very arbitrary. How is it possible that companies are advertising this project on Facebook (implying the EAI and tender process has been complied with) when this is clearly not this case?

I wonder how SANParks can think we (the South-African people) will trust them, when they don't play open cards as they’re supposed to? The public (South-Africans) have a legal right to this information.

The ultimate question is: who authorised this Pop-up camp project and on what basis?

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Thank you so much G@amespotter! Now at least we know that this thing is real, unfortunately.

Kindly keep us informed if/when you have further information \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Thanks for all the extra info Gamespotter! \O

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

The mind Boggles

G@mespotter

Post by G@mespotter »

Lisbeth wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:07 am Thank you so much G@amespotter! Now at least we know that this thing is real, unfortunately.

Kindly keep us informed if/when you have further information \O
Thanks 😀 I certainly have more information and will publish it some time. I’m giving SANParks a chance to reply. If they don’t I’ll put most of the information on the table. Krugerloving South-Africans are too often kept in the dark and get sidestepped with flawed and possibly even with dishonest reactions.

We should nevertheless play fair and give them some time to react. 👍

harrys

Post by harrys »

Thank you G@mespotter \O \O

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

I think there is no EIA required because it's only a mobile camp without building or road.

There are activities identified that may not commence without environmental authorisation in appendices to the EIA regulations.

I think a camp like this would not fall under these, but one should check.

RobertT

Post by RobertT »

It will need a road at least to get there, plumbing, sewerage and it being a luxury camp will mean more things needed and a bigger impact. Staff transport etc etc.

Alf

Post by Alf »

Thank you Gamespotter. You are a Legend ^Q^ ^Q^

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

RobertT wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:48 pm It will need a road at least to get there, plumbing, sewerage and it being a luxury camp will mean more things needed and a bigger impact. Staff transport etc etc.
\O \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Proposed Developments, KNP”