Careful with Rhino Information and Pictures (Aat)

Information and Discussions on Endangered Species
aat

Careful with Rhino Information and Pictures (Aat)

Post by aat »

I have nothing to say about this , just from the heart:

Is it a good idea to avoid information about the Rhino's in the TR's ? With all the poaching I think it is better not to help these criminals with info and pics of these wonderful animals..

Don't know what you think about it

My Tuskers of Africa site with all named Tuskers of Kruger
https://www.tuskersofafrica.com
Please use this revised link to get to my website for Tuskers and Wildlife Photography. It's now a secured site
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Carefull with Rhino information and pictures (Aat)

Post by Lisbeth »

norms wrote:Aat - I can only agree with you.

Let's leave Rhinos out of trip reports.
Mel wrote:I'm pretty sure those darn poachers know exactly where to look for the rhinos.
Still I'd rather have them excluded from TRs as well. Pictures only on other threads,
as I think even if you don't give roads, if a certain amount of members give account
on their rhino sightings let's say in the central area, it might give those miscreants
an idea where their chances are the highest?
Penga Ndlovu wrote:Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion and so am I.
But please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

If you go on holiday to the park for a few days or weeks and you get back, you have a lot of things to do and start a tr after a few days.
Those huge prehistoric monsters that we love so much have legs. They move and will not be in the area anymore when we post where we shot the pics.
Furthermore we are talking about "people" that have always lived off the land, been in and out of crime sprees and learned from a young age how to track animals and what their habits are like.

They do not use the forums as they do not have computers. They do not look at sightingsboards or may just to have a laugh as they have much more updated information than that.

This whole discussion is pointless as we are all running behind after the facts.

I will not disclose locations and such, but we will have to face the fact that we are putting the horse behind the cart and we are losing the battle.
Lisbeth wrote:I tend to agree with Michel, but it will not cost much to leave out the rhino sightings, if they are specific. Why give somebody a hand even if they ignore it :wink:.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
aat

Post by aat »

michel367 wrote:Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion and so am I.
But please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

If you go on holiday to the park for a few days or weeks and you get back, you have a lot of things to do and start a tr after a few days.
Those huge prehistoric monsters that we love so much have legs. They move and will not be in the area anymore when we post where we shot the pics.
Furthermore we are talking about "people" that have always lived off the land, been in and out of crime sprees and learned from a young age how to track animals and what their habits are like.

They do not use the forums as they do not have computers. They do not look at sightingsboards or may just to have a laugh as they have much more updated information than that.

This whole discussion is pointless as we are all running behind after the facts.

I will not disclose locations and such, but we will have to face the fact that we are putting the horse behind the cart and we are losing the battle.
michel367,
I do not agree with you about several points:

- poachers (and related organizations) do use computers , using hightech and helicopters for poaching etc.... they have to be quick and do not spend days with tracking rhino's
I think you underestimate this. People working in the park do have mobile phones and just inform others where rhino's have been spotted

- Rhino's do have territories and walk around in almost same area all the time

you can have your own opinion sure, but don't speak like a teacher here where most of what you say is just not true !
Using high tech, helicopters , rhino territories are already proven , so that are just facts.

and... doing something is always better then doing just nothing

Please use this revised link to get to my website for Tuskers and Wildlife Photography. It's now a secured site
aat

Post by aat »

Ok,
well I am sure we all think in what is best for Rhino's and looking at the numbers slaughtered each year for what some people on earth think is a medicine or a wonder to make them "more" man.
Any little thing that might help we have to use. Most of you know I am dutch and we don't have to worry about taking care of wildlife ....simply we don't have any left !!!
We have some NP's with deer (imported) and that's it.

When I am in southern africa and see cheetah's in the wild (like I posted on the cats sightings) and realizing at such wonderful moments that the ones I am looking at are part of just a few left.
At that very moment I close my eyes and think...suppose you put 200 cheetah's in netherlands and try to find them... (wider kruger is almost as big as netherlands) and at the same time realizing that these (about) 200 are the ones in the wild in whole of south-africa 33 times netherlands and knowing chasing them is still going on... soon their number will be too small to continue since "interbreeding" starts and will finally kill them.

Thinking same way about the Rhino ... some people (heroes) started not that long ago in Kwazulu Natal a project to save the Rhino.
It was going the right way with increasing numbers ...what happended ...we all know... prices going mad for a kg of horn. You guys know that they even steal horns from the musea in europe ? (no joke ...it really happens)

I am asking myself many times the question.... why are we humans so stupid ...why do we never learn from the past ...... why is it I, Me and Myself ... more power...more money...more fraude...etc....

I was just looking at one of my favorite Rhino pictures with a proud mother and little baby ... both innocent and not knowing they are in danger all the time even living in a conservation area.... just because of these stupid humans with too much money with a 100% I, Me and Myself....

(this came just from the heart and felt like writing it down)
I admire and feel lots of respect for all these people trying to protect these and other species.

Return to “Endangered Species”