Three SA bird species under threat

Information and Discussions on Endangered Species
Sprocky

Three SA bird species under threat

Post by Sprocky »

2012-06-14 11:32

Johannesburg - The International Union for Conservation in Nature 2012 Red List for birds says three bird species in South Africa are under threat, according to Birdlife South Africa, Beeld reported on Thursday.

The White-backed Vulture, the most widespread and common vulture in Africa, has been uplisted by two categories: From near-threatened to endangered.

The species is undergoing a rapid decline in population numbers and faces similar threats to all the other African vultures.

In East Africa, White-backed Vultures are primarily threatened by toxic pesticides; whereas in southern Africa they are used for the "muthi" trade.

The second species, the Grey Crowned Crane, has been uplisted from vulnerable to endangered. This species’ survival is largely threatened by habitat loss and the illegal trade of birds and eggs from the wild which has driven an especially rapid decline during the past 45 years.

The third species, the Crowned Eagle, a widespread species in sub-Saharan Africa, has been globally uplisted from least concern to near-threatened. This species is undergoing a decline due to a number of threats, including deforestation across the African continent.

Birdlife South Africa has also warned that mining activity near sensitive eco-systems is increasingly placing South Africa's birds under severe threat.

- SAPA

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Poplap

Re: Three SA bird species under threat

Post by Poplap »

Ei

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein
mposthumus

Post by mposthumus »

Ei Ei

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

O/ O/ :-(

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

O/

Just for information - Kaapsehoop used to be well known for its Blue Swallows. It used the hold one of the more important breeding colonies. Well apparently not anymore. They are thought to be locally extinct in the Kappsehoop area.

I would feel more optimistic of a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority - EB White
iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

Ei Ei
Just go back & read the topic subject here under In the News - General
1) SA bird Species under threat
2) WWF caution SA on Nuclear energy
3)SA fishing resources under threat
4) Endangered SA Rabbit.....
5) Fracking......
6) SA unable to act against oil slick
7) Wetalnds, most threatened ecosystem
8) SA shores swimming with sewage
Then add to that Rhino poaching, muscles dmaging our coast, mining at Mapungubwe, logging in Garden route NP, toll booths in Table Mountain NP, Hotels in Kruger

And we're supposed to believe that this government gives a damn about conservation & wild life

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Really scary when you see it all listed like that!! :evil: :evil:

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

That is only in South Africa. :evil:

Look at the bigger picture
- Africa
- South America
- Asia
- North America
- Europe

Mankind just does not care about Mother Earth.

Looking at all of that you realise, humans are living on borrowed time.

I would feel more optimistic of a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority - EB White
JoeKing

Post by JoeKing »

Sprocky wrote: The third species, the Crowned Eagle, a widespread species in sub-Saharan Africa, has been globally uplisted from least concern to near-threatened. This species is undergoing a decline due to a number of threats, including deforestation across the African continent.

- SAPA
I must admit, i remember seeing allot more Crowned eagles in the years i visited the park with my parents. 15 years ago.

now i lately i have seen 0

http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/jeroenkel/library/
http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/jeroenkel/library/South%20AFrica%202015-02

some of my Kruger and Pilanesberg Pics

Return to “Endangered Species”