Mad Max crew 'wrecked Namib desert'

Information and Discussions on Endangered Ecosystems
Sprocky

Mad Max crew 'wrecked Namib desert'

Post by Sprocky »

Author: Brigitte Weidlich
Published: 2013/03/05 07:47:49 AM
Source: SAPA

Windhoek - Namibian environmental groups and tourism companies expressed fury on Monday about a film crew's alleged destruction of sensitive areas in the world's oldest desert while shooting Mad Max: Fury Road.

"They added tracks in untouched areas," tour operator Tommy Collard told AFP from Swakopmund.

"What is worse is the film crew tried to remove the marks they left themselves by dragging nets over them, ripping plants out," Collard added.

"Together with other coastal tour operators we have collected a lot of photographic evidence. One cannot rehabilitate the landscape of the Namib Desert," said Collard.

Smaller animals like lizards, geckos and chameleons suffered, as well as the rare lithops cactus, he told AFP.

Filming took place in a section of the Namib Desert recently proclaimed as Dorob National Park.

Damage report

The coastal watchdog NACOMA (Namibian Coast Conservation and Management) Project had commissioned ecological scientist Joh Henschel to compile a report on the environmental damage.

It was sent to the Ministry of Environment and Tourism (MET) last December for response and actions.

"NACOMA contracted me as consultant about the tracks left by the Mad Max film crew and yes – some areas in the Namib Desert were destroyed," Henschel said. "In one area a ploughing device was used." He declined to give more details citing "contractual obligations".

A copy of the report seen by AFP on Monday laid some responsibility at the door of the Ministry of Environment and Tourism. "The permit and environmental clearance granted by the MET to the Mad Max project were not sufficiently specific so as to serve to guide the management of environmental compliance of the project."

Film commission refutes allegations

In an angry response to media reports about the alleged devastation, the Namibia Film Commission (NFC) placed a full page advertisement in state-owned newspaper New Era to "refute the allegations... in the strongest terms."

"Mad Max(4): Fury Road has to our satisfaction... faced up to their responsibilities within Namibia... we register no reservations and give Mad Max(4): Fury Road a clean bill," the NFC stated.

The film commission blamed local media for reporting alleged "untruths" and wanting "to tarnish" Namibia's reputation.

Similarly, the ministry of environment's permanent secretary Simeon Negumbo said the film company conducted land rehabilitation to the ministry's satisfaction.

"From the beginning the experienced, dedicated team used tried and tested methods like vehicle and hand-dragged fishing nets, tyres, brooms, chains, ropes and leaf blowers, which worked perfectly in the area", according to Negumbo.

World Heritage List application

Namibia last year applied to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) to have a more southern part of the Namib Desert declared the "Namib Sand Sea" to be included on the World Heritage List.

According to the application document, in that desert area there are "vast panoramas of majestic dune-scapes, strikingly crystallised in sharply silhouetted forms continually transformed by wind and time."

The World Heritage Committee will meet this June in Cambodia to decide on the application.

Mad Max: Fury Road is the fourth Max film of George Miller and stars Charlize Theron.

It was filmed between July and December 2012.

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Mad Max crew 'wrecked Namib desert'

Post by Mel »

Nature is being damaged all over the place :evil:
How can one grant permission to film in a delicate area like the Namib??? (0)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

The film commission blamed local media for reporting alleged "untruths" and wanting "to tarnish" Namibia's reputation.

Sounds familiar! =O:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Quote from Mad Max 2

" My life fades. The vision dims. All that remains are memories. I remember a time of chaos. Ruined dreams. This wasted land".

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

"We don't need another hero?" (MM3)

Songwriters: BRITTEN, TERRY/LYLE, GRAHAM HAMILTON
OUT OF THE RUINS
OUT FROM THE WRECKAGE
CAN`T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE THIS TIME
WE ARE THE CHILDREN
THE LAST GENERATION
WE ARE THE ONES THEY LEFT BEHIND
AND I WONDER WHEN WE ARE EVER GONNA CHANGE
LIVING UNDER THE FEAR, TILL NOTHING ELSE REMAINS

WE DON`T NEED ANOTHER HERO
WE DON`T NEED TO KNOW THE WAY HOME
ALL WE WANT IS LIFE BEYOND
THUNDERDOME

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING
WE CAN RELY ON
THERE`S GOTTA BE SOMETHING BETTER OUT THERE
LOVE AND COMPASSION
THEIR DAY IS COMING
ALL ELSE ARE CASTLES BUILT IN THE AIR
AND I WONDER WHEN WE ARE EVER GONNA CHANGE
LIVING UNDER THE FEAR TILL NOTHING ELSE REMAINS

ALL THE CHILDREN SAY
WE DON`T NEED ANOTHER HERO
WE DON`T NEED TO KNOW THE WAY HOME
ALL WE WANT IS LIFE BEYOND
THUNDERDOME

SO WHAT DO WE DO WITH OUR LIVES
WE LEAVE ONLY A MARK
WILL OUR STORY SHINE LIKE A LIGHT
OR END IN THE DARK
GIVE IT ALL OR NOTHING

-O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Endangered Ecosystems”