Which species and habitats need my support the most?

Information and Discussions on Endangered Ecosystems
Toko

Which species and habitats need my support the most?

Post by Toko »

There is an intresting Guradian aricle here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... ucy-siegle

What are your thoughts on this question?

Shouldn't we be focusing efforts on preserving entire ecosystems rather than endangered species? Or on the hotspots (in SA: the Cape
Floristic Region and the Succulent Karoo) because these are earth's biologically richest ecosystems?

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Which species and habitats need my support the most?

Post by Richprins »

Obviously whole ecosystems should be preserved. What's the point of in an emergency saving single species in zoos, for example, if they cannot be returned to their habitats?!

Peter Kareiva presumably does not know how many smaller species get extinguished by people on a daily basis!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Poplap

Post by Poplap »

Richprins wrote:Obviously whole ecosystems should be preserved. What's the point of in an emergency saving single species in zoos, for example, if they cannot be returned to their habitats?!

Peter Kareiva presumably does not know how many smaller species get extinguished by people on a daily basis!

I tend to agree with RP.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

It all starts with the basics, take them away and the tower will crumble! ;-)

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Exactly!! If the "chain" gets interrupted, a whole lot will disappear before the parts will manage to work together again.

"The Rate of Extinction: 3 Species (plant or animal) per Hour"

"The threats to the wildlife diversity vary from habitat loss due to land clearance for farms or cities, poaching, pollution and rising human populations to global warming. The global response to these challenges needs to move much more rapidly, and with more
determination at all levels - global, national and local"

Too many governments just don't care. They only think about now and without their support everything will just work too slowly and the biodiversity will suffer more, more, more and more. They are even ruining what we once thought was safe with no respect for the biodiversity and with the arrogance of people who do not have the qualities, but have been given power to decide what is right and what is wrong.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

This illustrates things very well!!

Return to “Endangered Ecosystems”