Hunting

Information and Discussions on Hunting
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Hunting

Post by Lisbeth »

Not any better :evil:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

Interesting article written by KNP section ranger Richard Sowry (in SA Hunter, April 2020)
hunt1.jpg
hunt2.jpg

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

hunt3.jpg
hunt4.jpg
hunting5.jpg

stefan9

Post by stefan9 »

Really comparing a bottle of whiskey to killing an living being... 0*\ 0*\ But nothing more then one would expect from the hunting fraternity...

harrys

Post by harrys »

stefan9 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:03 pm Really comparing a bottle of whiskey to killing an living being... 0*\ 0*\ But nothing more then one would expect from the hunting fraternity...
I hope you're refering to trophy hunting and not hunters hunting for the meat -O- , I'm not talking about poachers or bush meat hunters. I don't see anything wrong hunting for "the pot" or biltong, but trophy hunters are another bunch of unethical people 0-

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The writer seems to be very well informed on the subjects which he writes about and the piece is very well written and informative. This does not mean that I agree with everything that he is writing because as all writers he is not 100% objective and not all is supported by scientific proofs and like all writers, he is of course influenced and limited by his own opinions which are not necessarily the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

I used to hunt my one Impala a year for Venison ..But you eventually get sick and tired of the KILLING ..so I sold my Valuable Rigby and Holland & Holland inherited rifles and now hunt with a Nikon 300mm instead of a Mauser 7 mm..I feel Sooo much better but live with my past shame ..I love the Photo of the Olifants River stating that the wild areas must be maintained ..think Lower Sabie Brick n Pave camp putting Sandton City to shame ..That is also pie in the sky in other words..I totally respect Richard Sowry the writerand consider him a friend ..Like me he loves a GOOD rifle but like me he loves the bush and is the current Section Ranger at Kingfisherspruit with responsibility for Ngala area of old Timbavati as well ..A more dedicated Ranger you will not find anywhere..

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

This is a brilliant and well-thought-out article. :ty: ^Q^

There are few better experts than Richard Sowry of the modern generation, in my opinion. \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

South African trophy hunter proudly poses with giraffe heart

Published by capeetc on February 24, 2021

A South African trophy hunter and farm owner is facing international backlash after posting images posing with the heart of a 17-year-old giraffe she shot and killed during a hunting trip in February.

Merelize van der Merwe (32) shared the images to her personal Facebook page, captioning the image, “Ever wondered how big a giraffe’s heart is? I’m absolutely over the moon with my BIG valentine’s present.”

The hunt is believed to have occurred near Sun City, northwest of Johannesburg over Valentine’s weekend. Her husband, a Limpopo farm owner, arranged the hunting trip as a Valentine’s Day present and spent $2000 (just under R30 000) on the event.
In a separate post, Van der Merwe said she had been wanting to hunt a big black giraffe bull since 2016. She has already hunted and killed over 500 animals including lions, elephants and leopards.

“My wonderful husband knew this was my dream and fully supported me from a romantic 5-star weekend away to roughing it again in the heat and bush,” she wrote. “I was literally like a little child for 2 weeks and counted down the days.”

“I’d waited years for my own perfect bull – the older a bull gets the darker he gets,” she told The Mirror. “I love the skin and the fact it’s such an iconic animal for Africa.”

She said she plans to turn the giraffe’s skin into a carpet.

Since sharing the post, she has received a wave of backlash, with many criticising her for her actions and the pride she had in killing a giraffe. To date, there are over 1600 comments on her original post.

“The fact that you consider a part of a free-living animal killed for pleasure a sign of love on valentines day says a lot about you,” commented one Facebook user.
“You should feel sad for your actions, how does this give you joy? This world deserves better, and I’m sure it will one day with or without humans. You are doing no good and your soul is lost. There’s so much people trying to heal the world and there’s people like you,” wrote another.
There is a Change.org petition to have Van Der Merwe banned on Facebook to stop her from sharing news and images from her horrific hunts. At the time of writing, it has 10 184 signatures.

Van Der Merwe claims the killing was ethical good for conservation, as the giraffe was old and its death would allow another bull to “take over and provide new strong genetics for the herd”. She also argues that the kill created jobs and provided meat for locals for the day.

Trophy hunting is legal in South Africa, and animals allowed to be hunted include buffalo, crocodile, elephant, hippos, leopards, lions, giraffes, ostrich, springbok, and zebra among others.

A number of exclusive private nature reserves across the country offer trophy hunting as a draw to international tourists.

Some argue that trophy hunting contributes to habitat and species conservation, and provides economic benefits to local communities

However, many experts argue that trophy hunting should not be considered conservation. According to One Green Planet, trophy hunting can negatively affect a species’ population, and the revenue it brings in hardly reaches local communities.

https://www.capetownetc.com/news/south- ... ffe-heart/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Alf

Post by Alf »

O/ 0*\

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................

Return to “Hunting”