78 000 want US lion hunter banned from SA

Information and Discussions on Hunting
mouseinthehouse

Re: 78 000 want US lion hunter banned from SA

Post by mouseinthehouse »

It's all the same legal or not - debauched and depraved and utterly without redemption.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Flutterby wrote:RP, there was also nothing illegal about Melissa Bachman's hunt but that created such an uproar, why not the same uproar for this one?

I suppose one could say that lions are endangered while zebras are not. -O-
Was talking about Bachman's hunt! :-)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

mouseinthehouse wrote:It's all the same legal or not - debauched and depraved and utterly without redemption.
\O \O

Sprocky

WTF, Springboks?

Post by Sprocky »

2013-11-27 11:23

A mere week after the public outcry regarding the infamous Melissa Bachman lion-hunt, images of Springbok rugby players posing with wild animals they had presumably shot and killed have emerged.

Sport24 put a gallery together, titled ‘Springboks go WILD!’ combining hunting photographs with a few shots of players getting up, close and personal with live creatures in rehabilitation programmes or wildlife centres.

The images were all taken from the various players’ Twitter streams, including those of Bakkies Botha, Danie Rossouw and Victor Matfield.

While many would argue that hunting holds some merit, especially if, at least, the meat is processed and eaten afterward, a number of readers responded to the gallery with shock.

Hansie Crook - This is said this is very sad. Killing animals for the fun of it.

Soyama Sneh Mbashe - Very disappointed...this is just for fun??? Besides the beauty of diversity in this country these beautiful animals are what makes it an even more amazing country to be in.

Paul Stuart Buckby - I don't get it, at all.

Quentin Leeds - And we have just had an outcry about the American Woman and her hunting exploits. We shoot ourselves in the foot again.

Chris In Oz - Barbaric neanderthals, all of them. And it's interesting it's all just Bulls players.

Innocent Nkata - Inconsiderate! What's so cool about prolonging the pain of a shot animal just to take photos? What's the point of parading it to the world? Just to prove you are a bunch of butchers on your day off? If this was in the 'civilized US' there would be an uproar. But because this is 'wild Africa' it is okay!

These responses were, however, countered by a few in favour of hunting as sport:

Zane Blignaut - Hunting is legal, hunting humans is not! so what you have to say is just your opinion! I personally dont hunt, not my thing, but I have friends who do hunt, and who grew up hunting. there are hunting seasons and there are rules at the reserves to control the hunting, whereby they ensure the number of animals on the farm. Its a business and it would be bad for business to kill all of a certain species! hunting provides the money for conservation, it might not be every ones favorite thought but its a system that provides the best outcome!

Herman Steytler - Chris without the hunting industry the country would lose a massive revenue stream and I can assure you that most species will survive because of hunting. It makes money for the farmers so they will make sure of the species survival so that they can continue making money out of it. But in every industry you do get the crooked ones which will hunt animals to extinction. Luckily they are a huge minority!

The hunting industry has always been a lucrative one for South Africa, drawing thousands of tourists on a yearly basis. However, a recent report revealed that there seems to have been a sharp decline in hunting tourism over the past year.

According to the Professional Hunters' Association of SA (PHASA), South Africa made R90 million less in 2012 than the previous year from tourists who came to the country to hunt. The findings showed that tourists who visited for hunting purposes contributed R811m to the economy in 2012, compared to R901m in 2011.

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
pooky

Post by pooky »

I can never understand what pleasure people get in shooting something as beautiful as that
lion. They don't eat the meat - maybe the skin is used as a trophy 0*\

My SO always says there is no difference in breeding cattle and sheep for slaughter or
hunting edible game for the venison. I suppose if one looks at it in that light the farmer,
be it game farmer or cattle and sheep farmer. will protect his assets for future use thereby saving the
species. The emotive issue is that cattle and sheep are sent to slaughter and no one gives it a
second thought but when a wild animal is shot very often someone poses with their trophy, thus
advertising the fact. One can , maybe, justify the shooting of edible game for consumption as
opposed to shooting something like a lion, for what - the skin - or just the glory of it. I know
someone who goes hunting once or twice a year for the meat and that is all they eat - they don't
eat beef or lamb at all.

Personally I would much rather hunting was done with a camera for the glory of 'THAT' shot. \O
Sadly there will always be hunters I guess 0*\

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

A very contentious and emotional subject pooky, and one that I doubt will ever be resolved! :O^

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I have never hunted, but have lots of very sharp friends who do!

Even though trophy hunters take the head/skin etc, the meat does not normally go to waste, unless it's a predator.

Hunting creates a lot of jobs and income, from taxidermy to tourism to game farm workers, and conserves land for nature.

Humans have been hunting since time immemorial, and not only for food, for sport/status too!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
pooky

Post by pooky »

You are so right Flutts \O

RP - I do appreciate the fact that a lot of money is generated in the industry and
work is created - and, yes, as hard as it may be there is a necessity for game farming
in general.

My sentimental side kicked in when I saw that particularly beautiful lion. Lions are
in short supply. I will never understand the need for that type of hunting 0*\

But ....... :-? 0*\ enough said from me

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018
okie

Post by okie »

Richprins wrote:I have never hunted, but have lots of very sharp friends who do!

Even though trophy hunters take the head/skin etc, the meat does not normally go to waste, unless it's a predator.

Hunting creates a lot of jobs and income, from taxidermy to tourism to game farm workers, and conserves land for nature.

Humans have been hunting since time immemorial, and not only for food, for sport/status too!
I do not have a problem with " hunting " as such , but it does depend on the reason why it takes place . I love venison , and will happily purchase a Springbok carcass for making biltong etc .
But I also have a friend who does NOT like to eat venison , but only likes shooting the animals . And he cannot give me a valid reason of WHY !

Man have hunted for a long long time , for sustainance and survival , and that to me is the essential reason why hunting is acceptable . But mere hunting just for the sake of killing ? Hmmmmm.............. just not on 0*\

You know , if a farmer finds a dog on his farm killing sheep , then he has only one solution , and that is to destroy that dog .Because it is true that once a dog starts chasing sheep and killing them , he would usually remain to be a killer of sheep .
So , what underlying reason do men have for killing animals ?
Some would say it is for the sake of the " trophy " 0*\ . Say what :O^
In other words , you get a kick out of displaying the horns , or the head , or the scalp , of the living being that you have killed 0*\
The mere displaying of an object for its beauty is one thing , but it becomes a different matter to display that same object as proof of your own skill , or superiority :-? .
And to kill first before you display that object , puts it even in another category altogether . Surely , the living object is much , much more beautiful than the dead one O/

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Different strokes for different folks? -O-

One hunter friend actually gave me quite a run down of how serious/pro hunters undergo quite a lot of training/courses, even on how to take proper photos after the time so as not to show a "disrespectful" image of the animal, as with the zebra above. He does not do trophy hunts, but agrees that excess/old animals should be removed, including predators...which is normally how it works. He pointed out the grisly alternative for these animals, starvation, death by predation or predator competition...in fact he cannot bear watching lions killing each other slowly on tv, for example, and would far rather see them going down in an instant! :-?

Return to “Hunting”