Timbavati risks tourist backlash to hunt a super tusker

Information and Discussions on Hunting
okie

Re: Timbavati risks tourist backlash to hunt a super tusker

Post by okie »

It seems that this has been going on for a long long time ...

Check this link : http://www.krugerpark.co.za/krugerpark- ... 19099.html

and another one here : https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/ShowTopic ... _Park.html

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Don't worry, okie! You will be around for a long time! lol

Ja, hunting has been there since square one? -O-

Some farms do both, as said, others only do tourism, others nothing...it is quite a patchwork!

But many decades now!

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
okie

Post by okie »

RP , so therefore , to come back to my question :
Why should I continue to fight a losing battle against an event that has been accelerating at an ever increasing rate for as long as I can recall 0*\

In other words , why should I fight for conservation , if the results of my efforts keep on landing in someone else's pocket 0*\

Its all for nothing 0*\ someone once said :

Vanity oh vanity , sayeth the preacher . It is all vanity 0*\

And also : It was just a chasing after the wind , and nothing under the sun 0*\

Enough is enough
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Timbavati defends hunt

By: Kim Emmanuel
9 Mar 2017

The hunting of an elephant in the Timbavati reserve would not only be a rare occurrence but would also aid in conservation efforts, said Bryan Havemann, Timbavati Warden.

Havemann was responding to questions from Tourism Update after the hunt came in for criticism from Lucy Bates, an elephant researcher at Sussex University in the UK. Bates is quoted in the Daily Maverick as saying: “Arguments that trophy hunting removes old males that are ‘past their prime’ and ‘no longer breeding’ are entirely false and deceptive in the case of elephant hunting. We know from long-term studies and genetic paternity tests that male elephants show a different pattern of reproductive output to most mammals.”

Bates added that she visited Timbavati 15 years ago and was unaware it was a hunting destination, and said she had not paid to go back since. “I am sure I'm not the only tourist who would feel like this.”

Timbavati reserve made an application to hunt the elephant, which was approved by Mpumalanga or Limpopo’s conservation agencies, after being checked by the Kruger National Park. Havemann explained that the hunt would apply to an elephant more than 50 years old, that is not iconic (named) or collared, and with an unlimited tusk weight. The chances of finding an elephant that met all the requirements was very rare, he added. Timbavati had also applied for this particular elephant to be added to the quota for the past few years, added Havemann.

Havemann, explained that the hunt would benefit conservation. “If this was going to an individual who was going to profit from this, we’d be totally opposed.”

He said the motive for the hunt application was based on the following. “When an elephant gets beyond 50 years of age, they don’t have the ability to chew their food properly any more.” He argued that if it was inevitable that the elephant were to die of natural causes, the money from a hunt would be better used to fuel conservation efforts.

okie

Post by okie »

Yeahh , and if all the elephants and rhinos and other animals are all hunted down/ or poached , then it would not be necessary to have rangers anymore either , or a Kruger park , or whatever O**

Enough is enough
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

okie wrote:RP , so therefore , to come back to my question :
Why should I continue to fight a losing battle against an event that has been accelerating at an ever increasing rate for as long as I can recall 0*\

In other words , why should I fight for conservation , if the results of my efforts keep on landing in someone else's pocket 0*\
Whoah, okie? Hunting has also being going on as long as you can recall, and as Bryan (Ex-Kruger trailblazer) says, the money adds to the pocket of conservation there, at least partly. They do have an astounding record against rhino poaching in the private reserves next to Kruger, very expensive as they say! It is not illegal at all? 0:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

What do you say! :shock:

Maybe we should start to separate supportable hunting from unbearable hunting -O-

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
stefan9

Post by stefan9 »

Richprins wrote:

Whoah, okie? Hunting has also being going on as long as you can recall, and as Bryan (Ex-Kruger trailblazer) says, the money adds to the pocket of conservation there, at least partly. They do have an astounding record against rhino poaching in the private reserves next to Kruger, very expensive as they say! It is not illegal at all? 0:
Not being illegal doesn't make it right thought.

Sabi Sabi also has a superb anti poaching record and doesn't allow any hunting. I know which approach I can support with a clear conscience.

PennyinSA

Post by PennyinSA »

Leopard are even mentioned in the quota of permits applied for and yet there is supposed to be (operative words) a moratorium on the hunting of leopard currently due to the uncertainty of numbers! Now that is a total contradiction!

okie

Post by okie »

Richprins wrote:

Hunting for sustinance , killing animals to eat has been going on since the dawn of man , and I do not have a problem with that \O
But just to show off ?
Just because an elephant is more than 50 years old is bad enough , but then to kill it because it has large tusks to display above your fireplace 0*\

And to say that " the money adds to the pocket of conservation there " , is absolute pure crap .
Go and investigate its shareholders and think again .

Enough is enough

Return to “Hunting”