"No peace in the park, we’re bored millennials!"

The latest news on Conservation Issues
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: "No peace in the park, we’re bored millennials!"

Post by Richprins » Wed May 15, 2019 9:00 am

I wonder if this fancy lady realises that noise will chase other regular customers away? O**
Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

RobertT

Post by RobertT » Wed May 15, 2019 9:20 am

Think it is partly our own fault, we fill our kids lives up with activities from a young age and never allow them downtime or to be bored. I see primary school kids going from early morning till 8-9 at night with activities and homework. When we were bored as kids, we became creative to keep ourselves entertained. I watch parents now days rushing from one activity to next for their kids that the parent then needs a break and goes to bush or wherever for downtime yet still while on this downtime want things to keep their kids entertained and busy and stimulated so they don't get bored, when do we teach our kids then the value of downtime?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins » Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 am

I'm sure they survive? ;-)
Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 am

:yes: Robert!

A lot of kids these days seem to be overexcited. Take the smartphone maniacs, they never take their eyes off the darn thing, n e v e r 0- 0*\
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

RobertT

Post by RobertT » Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 am

Richprins wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 am
I'm sure they survive? ;-)
They do survive, but they become dependent on people and things entertaining and stimulating them and things being immediate. Hence they do not value the still time, the waiting, everything must be happening "now". Watch the withdrawals if they are without phones and internet. FOMO is huge with kids now days.

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Wed May 15, 2019 9:35 am

True \O
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel » Wed May 15, 2019 7:13 pm

Richprins wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:31 pm
I tell you what. Who cares that loyal park visitors have been supporting the place for 100 years. Ban them, or shoot them if they try and come in, why not. Some of 54 millennials have spoken, opening the door for more faux internet polls and "research" by SANParks. In 10 years, not once has "public participation" by regular tourists had any significant impact on SANParks management decision whatsoever. It is always preordained and a rubber-stamp exercise.

Personally I think some "locals" with "politically correct clout" have become infuriated that they are not allowed to party all night and sent a message that their holy rights are not to be infringed upon.
Agree with you whole-heartedly on the first part! And for the second: I know something similar happened in the KTP... Some big shot photographers asked to be able to drive behind certain waterholes to avoid taking photos into the sun - et voilà - their wish was granted. (0!) Same thing basically, from my point of view: it's not about nature and wildlife anymore, just about personal gains. :evil:
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Flutterby
Site Admin

Post by Flutterby » Thu May 16, 2019 8:12 am

According to the poll I put on our FB page, 40 out of 41 people don't want to party in national parks or have adventure-type activities.

The results may be skewed as most people who took part are not millennials!! O** lol

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins » Thu May 16, 2019 8:25 am

:ty: Flutts!

About the same as SP polls before building hotels! :twisted:

Flutterby
Site Admin

Post by Flutterby » Thu May 16, 2019 8:38 am

lol

Return to “In the News”