Lockdown in South Africa (and elsewhere) 26 March to 16 April (Extended to ......?? 2020)

The latest news on Conservation Issues
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Lockdown in South Africa (and elsewhere) 26 March to 16 April (Extended to ......?? 2020)

Post by Mel » Fri May 22, 2020 10:56 pm

Lisbeth wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:58 pm
Richprins wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:42 am
The teachers! 0:
The teachers must all wear masks and keep the social distance.
Since the mask you wear actually only helps the others around you and seeing that the younger ones are those who often don't show symptoms,
I think it should be the other way around.

And after three weeks of Corona teaching I can relate from experience that students don't give a fig about social distancing. Even that year group that was considered to be capable of doing so, according to our government (steered by those virologists, of course).

It's not happening. Full stop.

They carry on with their lifes as if nothing ever happened (social media is a great tool sometimes...)

But life is a risk in itself. And after a while you "forget" about the danger, even if you still keep your distance and even if you still reprimand your students for not doing so :O^
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Alf
Committee Member

Re: Lockdown in South Africa (and elsewhere) 26 March to 16 April (Extended to ......?? 2020)

Post by Alf » Sat May 23, 2020 7:26 am

So how will the younger kids display social distancing if every kid out there are a friend even if they don’t know their name and they are all used to play together
Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Sat May 23, 2020 10:22 am

Even the not so young ones seem not to understand the danger. On Thursday, holiday, people were crowding on the lake shores and even in the mountains. If they don't learn to behave, everything will be shut down again and all of us will pay for the behaviour of those irresponsible few 0=

Also the first evening that the bars and restaurants were open, in Basel people were standing in close groups in the street 0*\
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer » Sat May 23, 2020 11:26 am

Same here, no signs of social distancing any more, teenagers in crowds, elder sitting together drinking coffee. Public transport crowded. A second wave will be there soon.
One could just open everything and allow all industries to operate.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins » Sat May 23, 2020 11:28 am

But you have plenty space in hospitals? ..0.. \O
Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Sat May 23, 2020 11:34 am

It's not funny, because they put the whole population in danger and we do not want to fill up the hospitals again :evil:
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer » Sat May 23, 2020 11:45 am

Ja, but it's absurd. Clever ministers set up guidelines for school, such as 1.5m apart in classroom and wearing a mask everywhere on the school property except in classroom, so kids are now in groups of max. 15 in a classroom and stay at home for one week and go to school the other week. But for the secondary schools half of the kids go by bus to school and there and on their way from the bus stop to school they just come in crowds without masks and hugging eachother 0- . So what's the point of these clever half time and half group schooling. Restaurants are closed for indoor eating, but you can come with 10 people and share a small table outside or buy some take aways and crowd the public benches. A load of nonesense everywhere.
Either you do social distancing and enforce it at all cost with lots of industries and leisure activities not operating or you carry an with normal routine and do at least not kill more industries.

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Sat May 23, 2020 11:57 am

It's not quite like that here, but we must also remember that it is a "first" for everybody. They are making mistakes and let us hope that at least they learn from it do not insist on doing things wrongly, but correct the errors.

Here there is almost nothing prohibited but only recommended and maybe the population is not like it used to be. I was very surprised by the number of people breaking the rules :shock:

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Sat May 23, 2020 12:01 pm

The behaviour of the police and military in SA is something that has shocked me profoundly

An epidemic of police violence

IPID received a total of 828 complaints related to police misconduct between 27 March and 5 May, and it attributed 376 of those cases to the policing of Covid-19 regulations. Most of these cases are related to assaults (see graphics), suggesting a very high level of police violence as a key strategy.

I thought that they were there to protect the population, not to assault and kill :evil:

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel » Sat May 23, 2020 2:30 pm

Klipspringer wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:45 am
Ja, but it's absurd. Clever ministers set up guidelines for school, such as 1.5m apart in classroom and wearing a mask everywhere on the school property except in classroom, so kids are now in groups of max. 15 in a classroom and stay at home for one week and go to school the other week. But for the secondary schools half of the kids go by bus to school and there and on their way from the bus stop to school they just come in crowds without masks and hugging eachother 0- . So what's the point of these clever half time and half group schooling. ...
I prefer only half the virus emission in my classroom O**

But that's the only advantage I can see as you were spot on with the rest. It's plain 0-
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “In the News”