The reasons for decline in tourism arrivals in SA

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: The real reasons for decline in tourism arrivals in SA

Post by Richprins »

The SADC countries are a bit difficult to compartmentalise, maybe? Most come to shop and visit family! :yes:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

There are three kinds of lies: White lies, black lies and statistics ;-)

The above was posted Oct. 2017 so are probably the numbers of 2016.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

It was actually on tv recently - Chinese visitors down a lot, and Latin American visitors up a lot! 0- -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
okie

Post by okie »

Lisbeth wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:13 pm There are three kinds of lies: White lies, black lies and statistics ;-)

The above was posted Oct. 2017 so are probably the numbers of 2016.
According to the latest Tourism and Migration Survey released by Stats SA, almost 3,5 million travellers passed through South African ports of entry in August 2017.

My point is : why do we always look for negative , when there is so much to smile about in this world :O^ .

Hmmmm... there were only 3.5 million tourists in August 2017 and it should have been 3.5001 million :evil:

Oh , woe is me 0*\

Somebody got shot on the highway to Timbuktu O-/

Oh , woe is me O/

The sun came out 1 minuet later this morning 0'

Oh , woe is me 0= 0= 0=

Good bye cruel world 0/* It wasn't very nice to be around @#$

Enough is enough
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The facts are that the tourist have decreased and we are trying to find the reason why. It is certainly not because of positive impressions.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Tourist raped in Graskop
In the week the country rose up in protest against the persistent killing of women and children, a young woman tourist from Israel was raped on her birthday by a gang of men in Graskop.
20 hours ago
Bridget Mpande

MBOMBELA – The incident happened on Sunday while she was at her place of accommodation. A couple who was touring with her, were also attacked by the same armed men during the ordeal.

According to an impeccable source who cannot be identified for professional reasons, the tourists were on holiday when a gang entered their accommodation, forced them to undress, raped the one woman and robbed them of their belongings before fleeing the scene.

Graskop SAPS said they could not comment on the information since it is sensitive, but confirmed that it is under investigation. Police spokesman, Brig Leonard Hlathi did not reply to any of the media queries.

Oupa Pilane, president of Kruger Lowveld Chamber of Business & Tourism (KLCBT), said such attacks impacted everything and that he was distraught about the attack on the tourists.

“On Monday we had a meeting with the MEC of community safety, security and liaison, Gabisile Shabalala and we spoke to the SAPS’ provincial commissioner because these are organised crimes.

He once again said these crimes needed to be prioritised as the numbers of tourists visiting the area are declining by the day. “This affects us and has an impact. We are really worried and we are currently also talking to our members,” he said.
Website

Pilane said the violence against women and children is a great concern and he feels the country needs a state of emergency.

“The president needs to implement a state of emergency, the country is in a terrible state and crime is out of control,” said Pilane.

The incident marked another of the countless violent crimes committed against women and children daily, which sparked a massive outcry this week.

The murder of 19-year-old University of Cape Town student Uyinene Mrwetyana, allegedly by a post office employee, resulted in a mass protest in Cape Town with protesters blockading the entrance to the World Economic Forum on Africa in Cape Town.

People across the country have also signed a petition to bring back the death penalty, a matter which is reportedly to be discussed by cabinet.

Ronald Lamola, minister of justice, said his department would be “open to looking at amendments to existing legislature” by way of a referendum to get harsher sentences for sexual offenders. He said, in 2018 and 2019, 4 716 sexual offence convictions were recorded.

In condemnation of the latest attack Ikosi SE Mahlangu, chairman of National House of Traditional Leaders said statistics indicate that 30 women were killed in August – a month dedicated to women.

The Department of Women, Youth and Persons with Disabilities has asked South Africans to observe a national moment of silence and prayer on Sunday, to mourn women who have been killed due to gender-based violence.

https://lowvelder.co.za/502184/tourist-raped-graskop/

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Just yesterday after having read the usual SA newspapers, I was thinking seriously about the situation in SA and my next trip, but then considering where I was going I threw the doubts over the shoulder, but now those doubts have come back to hit me O-/

Bringing back the death penalty has no sense, but maybe the country really needs a state of emergency. Crime of all kinds are taking the upper hand all over and I have the impression that the police is not up to their duty. Too many people with too much time on their hands, no work and little money; drug abuse, unemployment and prejudice are among the many difficulties.

..........and then, of course, the mentality of a large part of the male population has to be changed and quickly :evil:

There is still such a long way to go :-(

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Good summary, Lis! :-(

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Yep, a very sad state of affairs! :-(

Alf

Post by Alf »

The rich people are corrupt and the poor people need to do crimes to survive. Great country O/

Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”