Fires in KNP

Information and Discussion on Fire Management in Kruger
dup

Re: Repeat of High Intensity Burn Near Afsaal in Sept 2013

Post by dup »

Thank'S Flutter's ,I was hoping for a answer from your side. That's good news .Now it will depends on the flip of a coin ,which road to take.

Stop buying frackers products,now !!!
Biyamiti camp-Nov 2017- with family and friends
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

If you want to see animals stick to the H4-1 - that's the only road we had any real luck on!! -O The H1-2 wasn't bad either. \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

I believe from OD that "Operation Firestorm" starts today in the Afsaal area at around 3pm, weather permitting O-/

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Mild and breezy here...Skukuza 27... -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

KNP TO APPLY THE HIGH INTENSITY PRESCRIBED BURN

The Kruger National Park (KNP) Scientists and Rangers in conjunction with Working on Fire teams will apply the high intensity prescribed burn in the southern part of the Park on 2-3 September 2013. The teams will start with what is called a multiple spiral ignition today at 15:30 and then perimeter ignition tomorrow, also in the afternoon. Some parts of the gravel roads will temporarily be closed during the burn; in order to completely allow the ignition to end.

“The aim of this fire treatment is to determine the desirability and feasibility of researching with high intensity burns to address bush thickening at selected areas in the KNP. The data analysis indicated that we have the most suitable weather conditions to conduct the treatment around this period in September,” indicated the GM: Communications and Marketing - KNP, William Mabasa.

Gravel roads to be closed will be: S112 and S118 on 2 September; and parts of S23, S113, S114 and H3 which will affect routes towards the Jock of the Bushveld, Afsaal Picnic Spot, Gardenia bird hide, Lukimbi Private Lodge and Biyamiti Bush Camp) on 3 September 2013.

“The areas around the target sites will be cleared to ensure animals are safe and ground teams to guide tourists on alternative roads will also be available at the affected roads”, concluded Mabasa.

This is a follow-up on a high intensity burn which took place in 2010. In preparation for this year’s treatment, prior vegetation surveys were conducted such as sampling the vegetation before and after the fire treatment, collecting of data a year after the burn to look at re-growth responses, plot work – recording of all woody vegetation, information such as species, height, diameter and number of stems etc; assisting in giving an indication of the amount of fuel that is available to burn.

....Ends

Issued by:
Communications and Marketing Department - Kruger National Park, Contact: Tel: 013 735 4262, cell: 082 807 1441 or email: laura.mukwevho@sanparks.org

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

If I had booked Berg-en-Dal for example for these dates I would be highly excited. 0= 0= 0=

I wonder if all were informed when booking O** O** O**
Last edited by Bushcraft on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

I doubt that people were told. -O-

PennyinSA

Post by PennyinSA »

Any news whether this burn was actually started or no? Another question, if I may ask, was the high intensity burn in 2010 the first of its kind and how does it compare to other controlled burns that have taken place in the Park over many years?

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Just saw this on the KNP FB page:
Stephens Ledwaba posted toSANParks - Kruger National Park :Just an update on the High Intensity Fire Experiment. We have started burning from 13:00 and up to so far the fire has been well managed. The Working on Fire team has been doing a great job in assisting our Scientists and Rangers to implement the plan accordingly.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

PennyinSA wrote: Another question, if I may ask, was the high intensity burn in 2010 the first of its kind and how does it compare to other controlled burns that have taken place in the Park over many years?
The 2010 burn was absolutely the first man-made one of its kind there, Penny!

Other controlled burns have been subject to a strict rotational policy over many decades, low intensity, carefully monitored etc. Part of rangers' jobs. Over the last decade or so, this regimen fell foul to "purposely started fires" by illegal immigrants and even tourists, so those blocks were skipped as per the adapted schedule. :-)

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Fire Experiments & Fire Management in KNP”