Commercial and Business Vehicles in KNP

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
dozo

Commercial and Business Vehicles in KNP

Post by dozo »

My wife and I have just spent 80 odd days in the KNP and had a great time. However the only major downside was the Commercial and Business vehicles as well as Staff vehicles entering and leaving the Park at peak hours. These "Visitors " have little interest or respect for the Park, animals and tourists as Business/deliveries are their prime objectives, and understandably so. The KNP Staff have become immune to the hazards or just do not care (apologies to those who do care)

I am sure this problem is not new and has been debated many times before. My aim here is not to hammer the KNP but rather to see if we can find mutually beneficial solutions to the problem.

My suggestion is that Commercial vehicles and Business people ONLY be allowed into the KNP 30 mins after GATE OPENNING TIMES and must be out ONE HOUR before GATE CLOSING TIMES. The affected parties might complain that it is not cost effective etc for them. My answer is " In business, find a solution, otherwise some else will".

Lets support the KNP with any initiative they try and implement because it will just make a wonderful experience a whole lot better

How do you feel?
Mbechu

ps. I do not think Speedtraps help too much with the above as these persons are regular and know where the traps are, or once they have seen a Cop they put foot knowing that it is higlhy unlikely there will not be more down the road!!

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Commercial and Business Vehicles in KNP

Post by Richprins »

Vey good points, and I especially like the time limits on commercial vehicles! \O

After 80 days you qualify as "commercial" yourself, you know, Mbechu! -O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

You make some valid points and good suggestions!! \O

Hope you are going to share your trip with us! ;-)

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Good points and suggestions \O \O

80 days :shock: O/\ I wish

dozo

Post by dozo »

Hi All
Thanks for the comments. Ja, I guess I do qualfy as one after soooooooo long. Seriously though, it is lousy when first thing in the morning a truck comes roaring past you when you are trying to spot the elusive whatever at sunrise. We entered and exited mostly through Phalaborwa Gate (the staff are great there) so commercial vehicles are going to Letaba and Mopani. The Traffic Cops are usually within 2-8km from the gate and the trucks know that.
Thanks again and will share pics soon
Mbechu

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

\O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Excellent idea to limit the entrance/exit hours of commercial vehicles \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

dozo, I so have to agree with what you say. This is the main reason I only enter the park about an hour or so after the gate rush, resulting in missing a lot of good light and sightings. O/

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
dozo

Post by dozo »

Thanks Sprocky. Yes there are quite a few side issues relating to this topic. Lets see if the KNP are willing to help somehow ^Q^ . Can you perhaps see if they will join the discussion in the spirit of co-operation. I think we should ask them to deal with just the commercial vehicles first and leave the staff vehicles out of itat this stage.
Mbechu

JustN@ture

Post by JustN@ture »

Good valid points dozo and good ideas to limiting the times they enter and exit \O

Let us permit nature to have her way. She understands her business better than we do.

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”