Kruger National Park: Be Careful of what We may Lose

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
H. erectus

Re: Kruger National Park: Be Careful of what We may Lose

Post by H. erectus »

Richprins wrote:Ethos must be kept alive..there is still a lot.
Indeed Richard, this ethos, cannot, must not and never should be questioned,
for it's worthy. These are sacred places, where all may frollick !!, where all due
respect by the visitor will come about, that without questioning it's existence.

It will just fall upon the soul that may be needy of such therapy. 0*\

Heh,.. H.e
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Who wrote this piece RP, you or someone else :-?

The core content we have been aware of for years now :-?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

I wrote it! \O

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Richprins wrote:I wrote it! \O
^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

:ty:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
H. erectus

Post by H. erectus »

Shoie, quite gifted at the pen there RP., \O 0()

Heh,.. H.e
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Thanks, H.!

Just to show I'm not mad:

Kruger accommodation debacle: Is SANParks compromising on standards?
2017-02-08 15:25

The controversy around the hasty roll-out of much-needed refurbishments at certain Kruger Park camps highlights a much bigger issue at hand, writes Lisel Krige. Krige is a journalist/writer by trade and the creator of the Fynbos Letters blog. She believes that the proverbial pen is far mightier than the proverbial sword. For her the sound of ‘Live and let live’ has an affirmative ring to it. And Truth is not everything. It’s the only thing – See the original post here!

For close on 50 years it has been a personal joy that keeps reappearing on my bucket list, to visit the Kruger National Park: undoubtedly one of South Africa’s flagship tourist destinations. Arguably one of the top two!

Most recently, in January 2017 – at the peak of the summer season, it was the same for me again.

Or… was it? Well, mostly; but not all of it brought undiluted joy all of the time.

It had rained abundantly and all things natural were exceptionally picturesque, jubilant, revived, refreshed and vibrant. My companions and I reveled in the sheer enjoyment thereof. So did all of nature – and our privilege was to be not only silent and awe-inspired observers, but also partakers thereof.

Spotting animals in the wild, having the patience to pursue this activity and making the most of it have over many years and three generations been and become skills that my kinsfolk and I have honed in various manners and places. South Africa’s bouquet of nature reserves and game parks is impressive and they have always had a powerful pull. I’ve wondered: is it more about the bubble of isolation from the ‘real world’ you temporarily find yourself in, or about the close encounter with sights and sounds that are hopefully being preserved for posterity? Can it also be the experience of surrendering to a carefree yet mutually focused sub-culture whilst you find yourself within the boundaries of a particular sanctuary?

Whatever the case may be: once you have become an experienced ‘game reserver’ / ‘parks visitor’ you can safely assume that you have, over time, also acquired the ‘qualification’ and authority to comfortably, as well as probably accurately and fairly, assess and evaluate what is on offer. And frankly – not only what is on offer, but also whether the ethos, intrinsic nature and characteristics of an institution are at a level that they can reasonably be expected to be.

I have for a while placed a hesitant and reluctant question mark over the Kruger National Park – and maybe even its mother organization, SANPARKS – in this regard. I do this within the context of, in this particular case the Kruger Park, enjoying the prime prominence and priority that it does as a destination within the ranks of the international tourist population. It is my contention that international tourism standards must comply with ‘universal’ norms in every sense of the word. And there should be no exceptions to the rule. A ‘five star experience’ must be exactly that in universally accepted terms. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind, that a Kruger National Park experience is globally perceived as at least a five star destination (or whatever the ultimate number of stars is for a superior grading).

So, concerning a few of the aspects relating to my tentative ‘question mark’:

1. VISITOR / TOURIST FACILITIES:

Accommodation, ablution and other amenities: do they live up to expectations?

I am first in line when it comes to the thrill of returning to basics… like camping and the simple life of not fretting too much about menus, meals, wardrobes, routines, etc. I truly appreciate minimalism and… yes, simplicity. But there is always context.

In a world-renowned and undoubtedly lucrative game park like the Kruger, you are surely entitled to the very best in each quotable category: whether it be staff conduct, a reception area, a rustic camp site, an access or exit gate, a basic bungalow, a luxury chalet, an exclusive guest cottage, bed linen, kitchen utensils and facilities, picnic sites, restaurants, shops, swimming pools and last, but not least, toilet and ablution facilities.

Especially in the latter instance it is disturbing to encounter facilities that are lacking. Even at remote picnic sites there has to be a ‘zero tolerance’ approach regarding spotless cleanliness, adequate hand towel and soap availability, flush mechanisms and taps that work. When public or even private facilities of this nature in rest camps leave anything at all to be desired, it should give rise to serious concern and decisive action.

I have concluded that rest-camps in the Kruger National Park, as well as reception areas, picnic sites and other facilities, do not necessarily uniformly conform and comply with set (hopefully international!) standards. An inevitable deduction is that the general appearance and performance of a rest camp or picnic site depend on the degree of commitment and ethos lived out by its management and staff. Whilst it is evident that some facilities are tended by staff that go the extra mile, others show traces of neglect in varying degrees. It would be unfair of me to neglect motivating my allegations:

- At least twice (once most recently, in January 2017 at the Tamboti tented camp) we arrived at our reserved overnight accommodation in the later afternoon to find that the previous occupants had not yet vacated. How does this happen in a system that should be faultless and top-notch – considering that discerning travellers from across the globe are hosted daily? Needless to say, this kind of experience causes much discomfort and concern…

- A flagship rest camp like Lower Sabie cannot have ANY excuse for lacking or sub-standard visitors’ facilities. However the safari tent we stayed in overnight and paid an adequate amount for, was literally in tatters. We could conveniently watch the full moon rising through a huge torn cavity in the front ‘gable wall’ of the structure. And the canvas was flapping profusely in a stiff and dusty wind. In the same tent – as well as the neighboring one – the mesh windows were either tattered and worn or untidily sewn together in an effort to convince the occupants that they were actually there and serving a purpose! Furthermore I had to guess what I was going to look like to the outside world, because where the bathroom mirror should have been, there was only a frame. (What happened to all the extensive renovations that the rest camp was undergoing for a prolonged period??)

- In Mopani, which is undoubtedly one of the model camps in the park when it comes to location and layout, and is seen to cater for individuals and families from mostly higher income groups, we found our comfortable 3 bedroom cottage to be in need of repairs or attention in more ways than one. The vanity shelf in the main bedroom was sagging; the interior of the fridge smelt unbearable; lighting shades were missing from more than one wall-mounted light; the kitchen was somewhat sparsely equipped with utensils and some of the exterior walkway lights were out of order…

- At Letaba, traditionally also a flagship rest camp – we had two basic huts on the perimeter and had looked forward to our unobstructed views of the river. On arrival, however, we found an unsightly pile of sand practically on our doorstep and between our two neighboring huts. It had obviously been indiscriminately dumped there by workers for reasons unknown to us. Our request at the reception office that it be removed, was followed by a site visit from a staff member who apologized and sent a team to comply. Unfortunately it was a halfhearted attempt that left much to be desired. Finding a kitchen facility (as these particular huts are not equipped in this regard) was also quite a challenge. In fact there was none within a convenient distance from our accommodation, because the designated one had been converted into a pop-up restaurant to counteract threatening staff strikes at the rest-camp’s franchise restaurant.

- Punda Maria is one of our most favourite rest camps – perhaps mostly due to its remoteness, and also for its magnificent trees, the waterhole and hide, the rustic atmosphere and the touch of tradition and old-fashioned charm. Our upmarket safari tent was perfectly comfortable and well equipped, with the added luxury of its own ablution facilities. I however cannot but mention that in some aspects maintenance appeared to be lacking: a section of the canvas roofing was sagging dangerously from a huge load of rainwater that had accumulated and it was in danger of collapsing or tearing. A rather bad leak in the roofing of the bathroom section appeared to be unattended and proved to be a real problem when we actually experienced a glorious rainstorm. Furthermore I frowned at the fact that of the four appliances in the rest camp’s little laundry facility, only two were in working order. The other two appeared to be quite dusty and had obviously not been attended to in a long time. The latter assumption was confirmed by a staff member. Besides the discomfort it caused the seasonal campers who had to queue for their turn at washing and drying, it is also an unacceptable slip in what should be world-class standards.

- In Satara, arguably one of the most popular of all the rest camps, we recently as campers encountered altogether unsatisfactory kitchen facilities: twin-plate stoves as well as boilers were missing – and when reported, the issue was met with shrugs of acknowledgement that they had been stolen. No further action was taken! A serious sewerage system problem at one of the ablution blocks (impossible to ignore!) was not effectively addressed and solved. Besides the stench, there was also the niggling concern about possible hygiene-related issues…)

2. SERVICE STANDARDS & STAFF CONDUCT

Are checks and balances in place? Is there a satisfactory uniformity throughout the park?

I am eager to testify that politeness and friendliness from staff are mostly the order of the day. They are predominantly tidy, punctual, helpful, discreet and seemingly well organized. Occasionally, personal conversations among themselves in the course of executing their tasks are somewhat more audible than is probably convenient or acceptable to the discerning visitor; this is a personal opinion. And their timing for cleaning accommodation facilities is not consistently discreet.

Entry gates: this is where first and last impressions are formed. Your Kruger Park experience starts and ends here. Are you welcomed and received, as well as bade farewell and sent off, professionally, eloquently, politely and enthusiastically? Regrettably I recently noticed that, on exiting the park at Crocodile Bridge after a ten day visit, the appearance of the gate and its attendants, as well as the latter’s conduct, reminded me a little bit of some countries’ border posts… grim, drab, indifferent.

Reception areas: can staff at a reception desk ever be too helpful, too efficient or too accommodating? Let me hasten to say that I do not mean they need to indulge the whims and opportunistic demands of ill-mannered patrons, but rather to take charge and control of the needs of guests in a manner that reassures, emanates warmth and extends a hearty welcome. Kruger generally has a good performance record in this regard. But again – NO compromise on quality and finesse should need to be tolerated by the discerning visitor!

Gratifying past experiences of rest camp management staff must be mentioned in all fairness.

At Shingwedzi, on a camping trip, we once had a personal report-back from the camp manager after she herself had been involved in chasing a troop of meddling monkeys out of our tent. This particular individual was during our sojourn regularly seen moving about the area and obviously familiarizing herself with the condition of amenities, the satisfaction levels of guests, etc. She had a face – and a phone number that worked! At a world-class destination like Kruger, this is what you’d expect. It is however regrettably not what you invariably get

3. IS CONSERVATION STILL THE ALPHA AND OMEGA?

Are Conservation and its intrinsic Management Values still an ultimate and urgent bottom line objective to the KNP?

This may appear to be a rhetorical question. However it has serious undertones and has, in my opinion, the very real possibility of being valid… for example:

- Is it purely my imagination, or have Kruger’s herds of herbivores shrunk somewhat over time, throughout the years? Granted, there are factors that play annual and seasonal roles, like the distribution and abundance or shortage of natural water sources – depending on rainfall figures or drought occurrences. Therefore, when you drive for long stretches without seeing animals, it need not necessarily concern you: searching for them is after all the name of the game! But could and should the effect of the mentioned factors be as drastic and consistently increasing as it appears to be? Is there a possibility that antelope and other herbivores, for example, are being hunted somewhat indiscriminately by more than their natural predators?

- Why, for example, is it according to news reports that reach public eyes and ears, predominantly only possible to apprehend (rhino) poachers after a perpetration? Through the media it is evident that the counter-initiatives, their quality and extent are extremely focused and sophisticated. This is acknowledged and appreciated by nature lovers far and wide. So this is the issue: whilst the rhino population figures are plummeting at a heartrending rate – why do these magnificent animals appear to be as unsafe in the most reputable reserves as they are anywhere else? Are there more threatening and underhand factors involved than insatiable greed?

- How effective is the screening and selection of staff who are appointed in key conservation-related positions in view of the fact that they are in all reasonability being entrusted with the crucial and delicate task of playing a passionate role in the preservation of our wildlife heritage for posterity?

The Kruger National Park has a rich and intriguing history. With it came and went traditions like communal camp fires, ethnic drum sounds that announced the evening meal, the daily sharing of game sightings among like-minded enthusiasts, scrumptious bush brunches under gigantic trees at picnic sites like Tshokwane, Babalala, Muzandzeni, Mooiplaas, Timbavati and the likes. Although it would be unfair, impractical and unrealistic to expect all customs and traditions to live on, I believe the indescribable and undeniable charm of the KNP lies in, among other things, not departing altogether from the dual purpose of protecting whilst delighting.

Protecting without withholding; not only the defenseless and threatened, but also that which has rung dear to stakeholders and visitors alike through the decades.

Delighting without sacrificing on the full richness of an experience in nature by detracting from it; and without compromising on world-class and internationally acceptable standards in order to keep pleasing even the most refined and discerning of new and loyal patrons.

http://traveller24.news24.com/MyTravels ... s-20170208

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Financials - Falling to Temptation and Losing Reputation

Relevant threads:

https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=318&t=4445

https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=318&t=1283

https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=318&t=5709

https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=318&t=2603

This applies to SANParks at large, but Kruger accounts for virtually all SANParks' profit.

At the recent buffalo meeting the CEO of Kruger remarked quite unexpectedly and forcibly and repeatedly and out of context that "they" had received a "clean audit"...this was never really part of the conversation? Anyway, it got me thinking.

Basically, questions were raised in 2014 already, when 4 senior officials of SANParks were suspended, apparently for financial reasons, and Dr Mabunda, then head, did not have his contract renewed. Dr Mabunda walked off with R81 000 000 resulting from a R1 Billion land claim settlement regarding Mala Mala (The largest payout in the history of SA) under his watch.

A bit earlier, there was a furore around the head of the Board, Dlamini, benefiting from tender awards. He had "left his companies" shortly before his appointment". https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=318&t=473

The whole Board of SANParks were also replaced around that time.

Also, Independent auditors had regularly given SP unqualified audit results, meaning not all information was disclosed in the audit. Subsequently to that, the auditor-general has been the sole auditor, giving perfect results every year. https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=318&t=4979

In 2012 we uncovered a double set of books, so to speak, that gave different versions of the profit made by SANParks.

Anyway.

Regarding Kruger, a number of red flags have been raised over the last decade or so, and it is very difficult to penetrate to get the actual information required. Frankly, the annual financial statements are amateurish and lacking, but that is only my opinion.

- The biggest query is regarding the Malelane Safari Lodge. This thing has been dragging on in various forms since 2008, being touted as for "Black Diamonds", local govt officials, luxury foreign guests and slowly downgraded to now being a tented camp for all with a view over sugar cane fields, after various sites were rejected. Cost estimates have fluctuated wildly as the private developers struggle, and slowly taxpayer funds have been added to the mix, regarding a park and drive facility at Malelane Gate, and road upgrades, extremely expensive (R20 million about, at last count). Yet the madness continues, while nothing is built, the SP funding has appeared every year? So why the persistence? One can connect the dots, I think, as it only makes sense if someone from SP promised the deal right at the beginning, and money changed hands.

- Skukuza Safari Lodge and Skukuza Conference Centre...the latter's construction price virtually doubled by the time it ended, as the sub-sub-sub contractors had to finish it after the initial tender winner couldn't finish. The hotel has been rubber-stamped now, but the initial open tenders were too expensive (R217 million ballooning to R250 million budgeted for) so a "preferred tender" was afforded after that, miraculously. Once again these have been budgeted for over a couple of years in SP statements, and we don't know how or if the projects were worked back into the kitty as time went by? All taxpayers' money this time, either Department of Environmental Affairs or SP, the former gives money for infrastructure developments, which falls under Government Grants in SP statements.

There is no way of knowing how much tourist/private money has been recouped by the Conference Centre, or how much will be recouped by the hotel.

It is also telling that SP have admitted that the Hotel may be privatised upon completion, which means the infrastructure has been provided with taxpayer money, and then "sold" without clarity as to where that profit may actually go.

- There is still not absolute clarity regarding payments, tenders and oversight of monies received after the flood damages since 2000. SP got a full emergency bailout from Government for reconstruction, but also have full insurance coverage for much of this sort of thing, regarding camps etc. We don't know how that reflects.

- SP have a curious thing called "investments" in their budget, reflecting very expensive capital assets, which is not easy to analyse. Not unusual for a parastatal, but must be transparent?

- Rhino sales continue in Kruger, and makes a lot of money. This is also difficult to quantify, although it has been downgraded, but makes little sense? There is only an entry "sale of animals" in the budget.

- Accommodation costs have steadily continued to increase significantly above inflation, year on year, in Kruger's camps. It is very unusual, representing millions of extra Rands in a projected versus realised budget, IMO. But anyway, it is slowly taking holidays away from the average public, and international visitors, and occupancy will eventually decline, I think, as the maintenance of units and sservices offered decline in standard. It should be geared toward affordably allowing all sectors of society, even running at "break-even"?

- The huge slew of privatisation offers currently and previously offered-for Private/Public Partnerships in the Park, from lodges to restaurants to garden services to picnic spots to outsourced drives come during and after a chequered history of failed BEE contracts, with money lost in the end in many of them, and money unlikely to appear long-term in SP coffers regarding the others, other than semi-temporary infrastructure assets regarding lodge concessions that are mostly on the breadline.

- SP annually pay out a lot of money regarding Civil Liability claims, and other matters, with legal costs running into the millions. It is difficult to find these figures in the statements, and a virtually unknown loss.

Anyhow, one can go on and on, but the point is in a country that is rife with horrendous corruption, massive oversight needs to be undertaken regarding the organisation to ensure absolute transparency. There is no particular reason to believe that this particular parastatal should somehow be different from the others, where wasteful expenditure is regularly revealed. One difference is that it requires little input regarding "raw materials", and is not incredibly dependent upon exchange rates, and is only slowly becoming a political tool, and has a settled labour system. (Vs SABC, Eskom, SAA, SARS, etc.)

So we just need vocal oversight from a hitherto generally silent Board, and preferably independent auditors. Problem solved!

If SANParks, in effect Kruger, get drawn into the corruption scandals, it will be the last one to go. And make no mistake, the vultures are circling.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

The Myths of Privatisation and Job Creation Benefits

The developments and trends in Kruger contribute and will contribute to net job losses and a decrease in precious tax revenue for the struggling local municipalities, in my opinion.

Private entrepeneurs love to use Kruger as a base, simply because they have to pay for precious little as far as overheads and maintenance are concerned, as mentioned before. It is a once-off monthly rental fee, or a share of profits (7% regarding shops, for example), whichever is higher.

Take the Skukuza Hotel for example, which may be privatised upon completion, by SP's own admission. Kruger does not pay any municipal taxes, refuse removal, water and sewerage, or company tax. (Sanitation and refuse removal is in-house and a well established infrastructure, largely paid off and maintained with taxpayer/tourist money). Should the equivalent structure be erected outside the Park, it would contribute many millions in rates and taxes to the fiscus annually. The same for a restaurant, through rent of premises or paying off a bond after construction.

It is unclear what rate Kruger pays to Eskom for its power, or if it is in debt. It will most certainly never have its power cut off for non-payment, compared to a private operation, and has a huge generator in all big camps. Private businesses outside the Park generally pay for power (extra charges on which are levied by municipalities so THEY can make a profit), water/sewage, refuse removal etc. on a monthly basis. Maintenance to their properties, and especially very expensive security including guards and alarms, are an added expense for their own pockets, not required for Kruger operators.

All of the above create jobs in addition to municipal revenue.

Take for example "Maphuza Lodge" , newly built near Hazyview by a private owner. The owner has taken out a huge bond or loan to finance the construction, adding to bank income in the local branch or nationally, probably paying the monthly salary of a bank worker or more. Building costs support a whole range of businesses in the area, and the project employs hundreds at the businesses and on site for up to a year, if one takes a 250 bed double-storey hotel like Skuks. (Yes, Skuks may provide the same in general, but more about that later!)

Accommodation is also built for 20 permanent workers at the Lodge, more employment for builders. During the building process, a very risky time, 2-5 security guards are employed, providing a source of income guaranteed to local families for a year, while 4 of these are employed permanently once the lodge becomes operational. The local alarm/response company is permanently involved, adding thousands of rands worth of security equipment to the turnover of a local supplier, as well as helping the security company keep heads above water. A security fence is also erected, more financial input and employment in the short term.

In the long-term, electricians, plumbers, painters, thatchers etc. receive regular callouts for maintenance to the lodge. Meterials are sourced locally, with the thatchers having to buy grass from suppliers, for example. More new permanent employment help.

The lodge pays huge amounts for building and liability insurance annually.

The lodge buys two game drive vehicles, with the exhaustive and expensive specs required to be a private entrant regarding Kruger. 3 guides are permanently employed, with benefits to local economy even as far as annual vehicle license, maintenance etc.

Supply chain benefits regarding local providers of food, beverages and general supplies are huge and permanent, no tenders/ extended contracts required, or franchise cost extensions for the open restaurant at the lodge. It is private.

Anyway, you get the point.

Now jump to the Skukuza Safari lodge. The same construction employment benefits apply in the short term. However, this is paid for by the taxpayers/SANParks tourists after already questionable procurement policies. No bond is taken out, and in fact cash payment to the tune of half a billion up front, interest free, is a godsend to the tenderpreneurs. No security or insurance is required, and power and water, A LOT, is for free during the construction process, no extra municipal income or jobs on that front over the year. Machines and labourers stay in Kruger accommodation/lots, or labourers come in on a daily basis. Building insurance is covered under existing Kruger policies.

Builders use free sand and thatch grass from Kruger itself too, no extra employment or contribution to local business and bulk transport companies in that regard. (But this may well be budgeted for in the initial tenders regardless).

Diesel for equipment is readily available very near the site, even if purchased at public rates it uses the existing delivery trucking infrastructure of Kruger with not much extra travel/expenses at all in bulk-provision terms. In fact Kruger actually scores big-time with increased volume of in-house fuel supply contract.

Permanent workers are housed for free after completion of the project, squeezed into the staff village. Remember, this is still an SP venture and has not been privatised yet. No new construction needed in that respect.

The lodge uses existing SP game drive vehicles, or existing private OSV companies, who easily fill up their existing schedules at increased revenue with existing regulations/fees/contracts already sorted, and are largely on-site. No new vehicles or guides need to be employed. No new jobs or increased revenue in private terms.

Maintenance to infrastructure is the permanent problem of SANParks, not the owner, should it be privatised. This deprives local businesses of regular income. Large maintenance will be outsourced via tender, or to existing maintenance appointees, probably at an inflated price. Either way, tax money is wasted and small maintenance jobs do not go to the communities.

All of the above, private vs SP amounts to many millions of rands, initially and annually. It is not small change!

Anyway. Worst case scenario...Skuks hotel is a white elephant, which it will be. SANParks have done their deals, and too bad so sad. It mostly accommodates government indabas anyway, with dignitaries using the airport, conference centre and hotel with taxpayers' money, so no real profit regarding the fiscus. It is not really a loss.

More worst case scenario, Maphuza Lodge is put out of business by the unfair advantage regarding all of the above, leading to 50 permanent job losses, a sequestration of the business, end of local supply-chain benefits, eventual pillaging of the security-less property etc. It has happened before.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

0/* Any comment here?

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”