Another close encounter with elephant in KNP

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
Toko

Re: Another close encounter with elephant in KNP

Post by Toko »

HMMM :-?

I think, if an elephant is inside a camp or picnic spot, the camp or picnic site attendants are responsible in the first place to inform visitors about it and to tell them to keep distance.

On my last trip to Mapungubwe I spotted an elephant bull in the thick vegetation and to my surprise I discovered after a while that he was inside and not beyond the camp fence (was difficult to see), nobody had told us to be careful with the bull around in the camp -O- only some hours later two rangers came along trying to chase him off as they said he was a rather aggressive bull 0: however - it did not work and we had to share camp with him until he was thirsty enough the next morning and left the camp to head for the waterhole.

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Another close encounter with elephant in KNP

Post by Mel »

Basically, I agree with what you say, Toks.

But - that bull was in the camp with you. Did you go close to him?
No? Why not? Because you are an informed visitor and don't assume that because
an ellie (or any other wild and potentially dangerous critter) is in the camp, in a picnic spot,
right next to you in the road, ... means you're dealing with a docile animal.

I'll stick to it: People need to inform / educate themselves at least a little as well.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”