Do they realize what they have???

Information and Discussions on Management Issues of Concern in Kruger
Inyati

Do they realize what they have???

Post by Inyati »

Howdy folks,

I really do not want to get into a mud slinging BUT (yip, unfortunately there is a big but), do most of the folks realize what they have by being afforded the opportunity to work in the parks?

Let me explain:
Myself and SO headed off to the Kruger this past weekend for four nights, and truly excited left early and arrived at Orpen at 5:45 in time for a coffee before the gates opened. We were in luck; we were the only car there and we're looking forward to a pleasant drive....
Roughly three Kms in! The first staff vehicle passed us, then three more... Oh well I thought, they speeding, I can't prove it, I'm not going to let it bug me... Then disaster: an African wild cat dead, further up, a martial eagle dead, then a baboon, this all "fresh" and all within 3kms of each other!!!

Now I'm a realist and realize things do happen and no one purposely goes out to harm anyone, generally, but seriously this speeding and disrespect for guests etc on the roads is a joke! This morning on a sand road a vehicle passed us traveling roughly 80kms an hour! Nothing stood a chance, and it spoilt our trip completely....

When will it stop? How many animals get injured or killed each day? Who is taking responsibility?
I tell you if you are employed in the most magnificent area in the world, and you feel the need to speed and stop caring, then SHOULD YOU NOT BE FIRED?

Leave the parks, go elsewhere where your speed will be tolerated! Stop harming aminals, and ruining my experience. Yes it may be a bird or a squirrel but it is in its home, and you mr staff bus driver, KILLED it!!!

Who is going to stand up and accept that it is happening?
We do not see this in summer! As at 4:30 we have left for our drives, but it frightens the day lights out of me in winter, as you leave at 6:00 and see the amount of speeding vehicles on the road getting to their work destination. Appalling

If you wish your merit to be known, acknowledge that of other people.
lowveldboy

Re: Do they realize what they have???

Post by lowveldboy »

To answer your question Inyati - Some do, but unfortunately most dont.

I camp(ed) often at Maroela and the speeding has always been as bad as Skukuza-Kruger Gate. I have complained, via official channels, unofficial channels, forums - and yet nothing. O/

Will this ever stop - I am afraid not. All we can do is pray our animals get out of the way of these maniacs!!!! :evil:

I would feel more optimistic of a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority - EB White
iNdlovu

Post by iNdlovu »

Inyati this horrifies me. It's not that we don't know this is going on, I'm sure it happens every day from every gate, but 3 animals in one foul swoop...disgusting. I'm sure it spoiled your whole day. Please send me details such as times, type of vehicle, which road etc.
I've had enough of SanParks management inability to do anything about this problem and obvious total 'who cares' attitiude. The two issues that are driving me nuts is the staff speeding on roads and wiping out lives as well as the shambles in the staff villiages.
If you don't mind I want to send the info to 1) Mabunda 2) Rey whatshisname 3) the minister of environmental affairs, telling her that SP just doesn't give a you know what.
O/ O/ O/ :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Man was placed in charge and given the duty of caring for all creation, are we doing it?
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Hey, Inyati!

I've never heard of a martial being whacked, or a baboon adult, for that matter!

That would indicate extreme speeds indeed!

Something is seriously wrong! :-(

Do you have pics that I could send on?

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Shocking stuff Inyati O/ O/ 0=

I have reported this type of thing a number of times without success O/ I have only ever received blank stares back O/ O/ even with photos as proof O/ O/ O/

To answer your question “Do they realise what they have?”

The actions of many of the current staff indicates that they don’t :-(

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

This is just distgusting! :evil:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

After tonight's news I can't see it getting any better. :-( :evil:

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Sprocky wrote:After tonight's news I can't see it getting any better. :-( :evil:
Agreed, it's all about money IMO and I base that opinion on tonights news and the current attitude of many of the current management and staff O/

Poplap

Post by Poplap »

:evil: O/ O/ O/

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Unfortunately the people they are employing now ... would rather have jobs in Sandton or in Govt or at a Municipality and dont give a fig for Kruger..I continually get asked by Petrol attendants/waiters etc whether I can give them a job where I live ..I say I live in PE and that doesnt phase them at all...they just want the easy life and jobs in town..Kruger is boring so if I have to Drive Orpen to Satara ...lets have fun who cares..they dont...Get real, demographics etc doesnt work in places like Kruger...you need to have folk who love and appreciate their 'home in the bush'.

Return to “General Management Issues - Kruger”