Addo Outings 2014

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Addo Outings

Post by Lisbeth »

That's what we all think, but hope that it is not the case O-/

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
PJL

Post by PJL »

I'm not entirely sure when official confirmation will happen (if at all), but enough staff and guides in the park know already (even talking about it in front of their guests) that I feel I can now share the sad news with you. It's probably best not to ask the park direct questions relating to this until they themselves have further information, and we're specifically not posting about the subject on FB as it would naturally generate unnecessary speculation.

Gina was unfortunately found to have died recently. Her body was partly decomposed, but is being sent for testing to try and find the cause of death. Apparently there was nothing obvious to indicate what might have happened. My guess is that the park will put out some kind of statement once they get the results.

The cubs were last seen on their own well over a week ago, and without being fully weaned yet they most likely have also not survived. The staff have been looking for them since Gina was found, but it's an almost impossible task in the thick bush and by that time was probably already too late. Very sad news indeed. As soon as I hear more information of course I'll update here.

It's been a bittersweet week, as when the rangers were searching for the cubs they discovered that Josie has just had a litter of her own! This would probably explain why Gina's cubs haven't been seen with Josie - she might have otherwise looked after them a bit. The cubs are no more than a week old, and there are four of them. This is Josie's first litter, and hopefully with the time spent with Gina she'll have gained some good experience on being a new mother X#X

Lastly just a rumour: Aardlam is normally found in the northern sections of the park, but has been seen a few times in Wayne's valley which is more in the middle area... certainly out of her normal range. A friend who saw her recently thought she had possibly been feeding cubs, so there's a possibility of 2 sets in the park currently. The rangers I have spoken to weren't aware that she has cubs, but will be keeping an eye out. It would be a bit of a surprise if she does because she's now about 13 or 14 years old.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Oh no... Gina... How awful! And even worse for the cubs. :-( :-( :-(
Really curious to learn what has really happened since the circumstances seem rather strange.

Bittersweet indeed regarding the wonderful news about Josie at the same time!
Like you, I hope she'll cope and will bring up her litter successfully. 0:

Thanks for sharing this with us, PJL!

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Toko

Post by Toko »

\O

PJL

Post by PJL »

Mel wrote:Really curious to learn what has really happened since the circumstances seem rather strange.
I'm very curious as well Mel... could have been something as simple as an infected wound etc... will just have to wait and see whether their autopsy results show anything. We'll really miss Gina (and of course the cubs). She was one of the lions I seemed to bump into the most :-(

Toko

Post by Toko »

Why do they autopsy? A dead lion is a very usual thing, IMO?

PJL

Post by PJL »

Yes Toko, it's not uncommon for lion to die, but Addo has so few that I think they want to be sure it was natural causes. Also she wasn't very old and she was an experienced hunter so it seems strange.

nan

Post by nan »

oups... very sad news indeed :-(
there is something to see with the Jackals empoisoned ... or other animal, some months ago :-?

good luck for the suite of all the little ones 0/0

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Very sad indeed :-(

Hopefully Josie will be able to raise her cubs or at least part of them, in a way it would make up for the loss of Gina's cubs.

Thank you, PJL \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
PJL

Post by PJL »

I'm still going through my photos from our afternoon visit... but here's a sneak peek of the rhino. We spent about 30 minutes with him O/\ O/\

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”